Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2022, 04:11 PM
bu2

24,118 posts, read 14,909,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
I think that one of the key distinctions between smart and not smart is the ability to discern good/credible information versus less reliable/speculative/baseless information. A generally smart person who knows that he or she is not an expert on certain subject matter will be "smart" enough to distinguish between good and bad info. For example, a smart person will know to trust Mayo Clinic or Sloan Kettering for information re: cancer, and to not give equal credence to random websites or bloggers writing about cancer. Ditto for financial advice, or nutritional advice, or really anything.
I think the last 5 years it has been demonstrated by both the right, middle and the left that is not true. Its called confirmation bias. The website is "obviously" right if it agrees with your opinions. Many intelligent people do that. The "Food Babe," who knows nothing about nutrition, is followed by a lot of intelligent people.

And quite frankly, a lot of "experts" have spouted total nonsense, and sometimes outright dishonesty, about a whole variety of topics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2022, 05:52 PM

11,117 posts, read 7,180,697 times
This seems to operate on at least two levels: education / knowledge, and one's decision-making.

I've encountered those who most would say are smart, and yet do incredibly stupid and foolish things.

And I've encountered some with generally less education and knowledge, but who make healthy and wise decisions.

So maybe it's less about what's in the head and more the actions that reveal a person.

Old 12-06-2022, 08:26 PM

629 posts, read 411,429 times
It's impossible to teach anyone who "knows everything".

Old 12-06-2022, 11:14 PM

993 posts, read 547,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Oh here we go again. Sure, "my own intelligence" can just pull information right out of nowhere, without books, without a computer.... OK then.
Information is knowlege, not intelligence. Any bird brain can look something up on the internet (or in the encylopdia britanica circa 1980).

Old 12-07-2022, 03:03 AM

34 posts, read 15,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Technology isn't "making you smarter." It's conditioning you to rely on something other than your own intelligence. Woe be to us all when the grid goes down! We won't remember how to walk without Alexa telling us how.
Ha ha, you got me laughing here mate, as my brain connected your answer with the movie Idiocracy. You'd know what I'm talking about if you've seen it. Though, I totally understand your point. Relying too much on technology makes us ignorant over time. The brain is just like a muscle - it needs training.

However, speaking of technology, if used properly, it'll help you do complex tasks that you otherwise can't. And more tasks in less time as well. I guess that makes you smarter if that can be considered as some broad definition of the word.

Striking a good balance of using technology and common sense is the thing we don't get in the manual as humans nowadays, but we should.

Old 12-07-2022, 03:08 AM

24,659 posts, read 9,482,550 times
Smart and stupid are subjective. What criteria are we using? Education? Net worth? Occupation? IQ?

I would say smart people can generally understand complex things faster/easier than stupid people.

Old 12-07-2022, 06:54 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,908,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
Information is knowlege, not intelligence. Any bird brain can look something up on the internet (or in the encylopdia britanica circa 1980).
Any bird brain can decide that it's acceptable to seek information from their own brain without informing themselves of actual facts rather than opinions.

People with a brain beyond bird brain size - you know, those with intelligence - usually decide to utilize reading and research in a far more concrete, quantifiable and effective manner than someone else who pulls random thoughts out of their own (bird) brain.

By the way, "britanica" is spelled Britannica.

Old 12-07-2022, 07:10 AM

616 posts, read 342,217 times
Smart people know that they don't know everything and they don't pretend to. Smart people tend to ask more questions than try to foist their knowledge on others.

Stupid people think they know everything and don't hesitate to tell everyone else.

Old 12-07-2022, 07:20 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,908,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappy001 View Post
Smart people know that they don't know everything and they don't pretend to. Smart people tend to ask more questions than try to foist their knowledge on others.

Stupid people think they know everything and don't hesitate to tell everyone else.
Exactly.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:45 AM

989 posts, read 1,019,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I think the last 5 years it has been demonstrated by both the right, middle and the left that is not true. Its called confirmation bias. The website is "obviously" right if it agrees with your opinions. Many intelligent people do that. The "Food Babe," who knows nothing about nutrition, is followed by a lot of intelligent people.

And quite frankly, a lot of "experts" have spouted total nonsense, and sometimes outright dishonesty, about a whole variety of topics.
I hear you, but I want to clarify that I am decidedly NOT talking about political opinions. Confirmation bias plays a tremendous role when it comes to political views, and certainly even politics-related issues like vaccines, etc. Setting aside politics, I am saying that smart people are better at differentiating between "good" and "bad" information in a general sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology