Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2023, 11:49 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
These include genetics, environmental factors, certain medical conditions, and more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
It's not rare.

Many common medications can cause weight gain.

Well, you added medications now so I was saying what you wrote before is rare. Ofc medication can cause weight gain but not to 300#. Ppl can still do something about their eating habits & exercise to minimize it.

AND, when ppl date, they don’t get a list of reasons why the other person is overweight or a doctor’s excuse. You are attracted to them physically or you’re not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2023, 11:57 AM

5,010 posts, read 590,308 times
^^^Simply saying it's not about a man who let themselves go....

Old 03-19-2023, 02:39 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
To counter OP's question.....

Cases in point of people who are not conventionally attractive but get a LOT of romantic attention- many musicians and artists.

Historical examples- Jackson Pollock looked like the miserable wretch he was, yet he had women at his beck and call.

Mick Jagger? Not my cup of tea, but his conquests are legendary.

Chrissy Hynde? Crazy-eccentric, not femme looking, but she seduced men at the top of her social scene.

Pablo Picasso was mediocre looking but had women literally fighting over the chance to be a fling of his.

Attraction is complicated. To the point where many are turned off by someone too "hot"...too perfect-looking.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-20-2023, 05:36 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,530,211 times
Everything starts with the looks.

Old 03-21-2023, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
Everything starts with the looks.

And chemistry, IMO. If you aren’t feeling it, you shouldn’t force it.

Old 03-21-2023, 08:36 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
We place high emphasis on looks because you can't fake looks. You can buy a Lamborghini on credit or lease it for a month to make yourself look rich. You can memorize finance jargon and say you're an investment banker. You can drive to Beverly Hills, park in front of a giant house, take a selfie, and say you live there. You can smooth-talk as much as you can stomach it, provided that no one sees your face. In fact, there once was a reality show about this: "Mr. Personality".

But looks are right there on a person's face, front and center, showing how good or bad their genes are. Facial symmetry is the biggest indicator, but there are lesser ones too. You can't fake good genes unless you get prohibitively expensive plastic surgery, currently affordible only to the Hollywood glitterati. Good-looking face = good genes; bad-looking face = bad genes. Looks are a blatant indicator of someone's genetic quality, and even Covid masks are worthless when it comes to hiding bad genes. That's why Chad Thunderpenis looks good with or without a Covid mask, while Stable Timothy does not.

Old 03-21-2023, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
We place high emphasis on looks because you can't fake looks.

IMO, we place importance on looks because almost all of us want to be attracted to who we date. You can call it out for being superficial all you want…BUT, it’s real & honest. It doesn’t mean it’s the only thing ofc, but it’s all we see at 1st. And, ppl want to be attracted or feel a little spark….”a possible connection”…if they are going to spend a little time getting to know somebody better. Who wants to go on a date with somebody they think is unattractive or doesn’t take care of themselves? Why fake it or pretend to be interested if you aren’t? Just find a nice way to turn him down.

Old 03-22-2023, 03:25 AM

24,597 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB83 View Post
Why do we place almost someone’s entire value in the dating scene on their looks?
Because until we gather more information, that's all we have to go by. They are mental shortcuts until we find out the real you.

That's just the way the world works.

But the year is 2023, there are plenty of plastic surgery options if you don't like the way your face looks.

Old 03-22-2023, 06:48 AM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Whenever I browse forums I see people who say stay in your league looks wise and over the years I’ve heard people tell me I was too good looking for my partner and vice versa. Why do we put looks on such a high pedestal to where we think the better looking person is on a higher level and worth more and a lesser attractive person is worth less?
Because money, fame and beauty rule the world, as opposed to poverty, obscurity and ugliness.

As they say, "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful."

Old 03-22-2023, 08:08 AM

4,502 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Quote:
Whenever I browse forums I see people who say stay in your league looks wise and over the years I’ve heard people tell me I was too good looking for my partner and vice versa. Why do we put looks on such a high pedestal to where we think the better looking person is on a higher level and worth more and a lesser attractive person is worth less?

It’s a sad commentary imo when to a lot of people that’s the most important measuring stick on where you are of value in the dating scene. I’d never want to be with such a bore of a person who lacks such depth that that’s where they think most of someone’s value comes from
What you mean "we", Lone Ranger?

Internet fora are not real life, no matter how hard you may try to make it so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology