Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2022, 03:36 PM

32,198 posts, read 34,965,358 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2skmGoRk1FE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2022, 03:42 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,130,760 times
Attraction is in the eye of the beholder. I've been turned down plenty because I didn't hit all the marks on someone's checklist. But I'm happily married now, so all the prior rejections are moot. I see plenty of people that I'm not attracted to married or in relationships, too.

Old 12-18-2022, 08:19 AM

5,811 posts, read 3,919,690 times
Looks are a surefire, impossible-to-fake way to identify someone's genetic fitness. You can fake wealth by buying a Lamborghini on credit. You can fake a high-income job by lying about it. You can fake a dominant personality by studying Red Pill material. But you can't fake good looks!

If you look good, you have good genes, case closed! And it's not just about 20%-er Chads having sex with 80% of all women. Good looks go extremely far. Attractive waitstaff, both men and women, get higher tips. Attractive employees get paid more, and get more promotions. And it's not just limited to adults. Aesthetically-pleasing kids get more free passes in school: they get away with mischief more easily, and get higher grades for the same amount of work that plain-looking kids do. Even parents treat aesthetically-pleasing kids nicer and punish them less. All because it's our human instinct to respect good genes.

Well, this raises the question: What if all plain-looking people suddenly got plastic surgeries? What would we, as a species, do?

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 12-18-2022 at 08:45 AM..

Old 12-22-2022, 01:00 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,087,082 times
Plastic surgery alone isn't going to revise the human species into being attractive. Think about who you know is attractive and who isn't. The attractive person usually has other qualities that puts them into the top tier of attractiveness--it's their entire package of facial features, complexion, teeth, hair, body shape, weight, height, confidence, and smile. So an attractive person isn't attractive based on face and other modifiable features such as breasts alone. They're usually tall, have a great body, perfect white straight teeth, a very confident and sexy walk, wear fashionable clothing and makeup, usually wear some kind of expensive jewelry or watch, and have that "it" factor which is hard to describe. A woman I worked with didn't have a "pretty" face but she was tall, slim, had long straight hair, wore trendy clothes, and knew how to apply makeup. Someone with frizzy hair isn't going to thought of as "attractive" no matter how pretty her face might be after plastic surgery.

Old 12-22-2022, 01:36 PM

2,247 posts, read 2,428,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
Plastic surgery alone isn't going to revise the human species into being attractive. Think about who you know is attractive and who isn't. The attractive person usually has other qualities that puts them into the top tier of attractiveness--it's their entire package of facial features, complexion, teeth, hair, body shape, weight, height, confidence, and smile. So an attractive person isn't attractive based on face and other modifiable features such as breasts alone. They're usually tall, have a great body, perfect white straight teeth, a very confident and sexy walk, wear fashionable clothing and makeup, usually wear some kind of expensive jewelry or watch, and have that "it" factor which is hard to describe. A woman I worked with didn't have a "pretty" face but she was tall, slim, had long straight hair, wore trendy clothes, and knew how to apply makeup. Someone with frizzy hair isn't going to thought of as "attractive" no matter how pretty her face might be after plastic surgery.
I don't know about that..lol.. a pretty face trumps all. If a woman has the perfect face, she could literally be bald and still attractive.

Old 12-23-2022, 10:57 AM

20,494 posts, read 14,861,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
I don't agree with your assessment of the traits that make a person attractive looking. Like, just to start.

I am attracted to both men and women, and I have found plenty of short men and women attractive. Frizzy hair isn't always unattractive, either, it can be groomed properly to look clean and healthy (so I mean hair that is "frizzy" due to genetics and not neglect or poor treatment or poor health.)

In fact, I think that "frizzy" hair might even look better on some people than straight hair does.

But those who have curls often think that straight hair is prettier, and those who have straight hair often wish that they had curls and volume.

Perfect teeth? Not necessary. Clean, healthy teeth are good, but crooked teeth sometimes give a "cute" effect, it just depends.

And things like jewelry and fashion are more social signals to specific audiences, they are a form of "flagging." Not everyone will be impressed by such things, but what we choose to wear is usually an attempt to establish cues of commonality, to show who you fit with and who you don't. If you are trying to succeed in a highly paid white collar office setting, then yes, wearing expensive jewelry and certain "fashionable" attire would probably benefit you. If you are walking through a rough neighborhood, then you might be better off not doing that. If you're at a heavy metal concert, dress in a patched up vest and combat boots. If you're commingling with artists and poets you might do best in a long broomstick skirt and beaded hemp necklace. All of these choices are just costuming.

And some of us, like me, have done absolutely fine in life, including on job interviews for well paid office jobs, and on first dates, wearing no makeup at all. I almost never wear it, it's never felt comfortable on my face. But I wasn't interviewing for a Sales or PR job. I was interviewing for analyst, and later, senior analyst. And my efforts to date men were never a search for a position as trophy wife to a Mr. Country Club, so I never felt a need to look particularly "high maintenance."

I mean, I won't argue that sometimes some people respond better to others who look a certain way. I know that's true. But I really don't believe that anyone HAS to look extremely good (like, better than just normal and average, hygienic and appropriate) in order to have good social results. I have had an excellent social, professional and romantic life without putting myself through any such contortions to try and look "perfect."

But a sour attitude will do you in every time. I absolutely believe that.

Old 12-24-2022, 04:25 PM

2,563 posts, read 1,898,421 times
Attractive faces are a way to attract other people to potentially lead to more people of their genes. It's biologically instinctual.

Old 12-24-2022, 04:53 PM

17,244 posts, read 57,311,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I don't know about that..lol.. a pretty face trumps all. If a woman has the perfect face, she could literally be bald and still attractive.
Well a pretty face is quite important to me but if she's bald she had better be on chemo for cancer treatment.

A buzz cut or shaved head on a gal "trumps all" and if she did that on her own she gets a hard pass from me.

You don't have to agree.

But for me the hair sort of goes with the face and a man-cut, helmet hair, etc. generate a hard pass regardless of how good she looks otherwise.

Old 12-24-2022, 09:07 PM

71 posts, read 74,557 times
A man will marry the best looking woman he can afford.
A woman will marry the richest guy she can attract.

Old 12-26-2022, 03:09 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,624,404 times
I find people marrying and dating people who I would never even go on one date with.

So there are people who will gravitate toward others who you would want nothing to do with.

So the looks part - it's rather mystical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology