Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2022, 08:17 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,716,485 times

Advertisements

I'm so tired of this trend of glamourizing homelessness. If you are single, able-bodied, and living in a car for extended periods, I'm sorry, but you have ****ed up your life and need to get your head out your ass. And if your are spending your time on social media broadcasting your dumb mistakes instead of un****ing your life and getting back on your feet, I'm going to assume you are a narcissistic loser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2022, 09:42 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,441,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I guess the same can be said for people who post on internet forums like City-data too. They may or may not have social lives, and just post on internet forums as a way to connect with people. The difference here is the YTers are willing to show their faces. They are usually very attractive as well.

I have been following YTer Nikki Delventhal for a while. She literally just drives around the country, and internationally by herself and her dog. She lets you watch her do mundane things like walk in and out of the truck stop bathrooms, filling up gas, and eating. She also used to be an NFL cheerleader I believe. She likes to show off her body too. I am thinking about asking her to marry me LOLOLZOL
Woman is pretty much at the top of the food chain in terms of looks so she can capitalize on that via the YouTube videos. I can see being young and getting paid to travel across the country, explore a bit, and do nothing much. It may be exciting for her right now. I think it will have a shelf life for her though, but given her looks and her current fanbase of 550k subscribers she can likely parley it into something else if she chooses a different lifestyle.

I don't think she has a phsychological condition necessarily to want to take advantage of the interest she can generate.

Old 12-27-2022, 01:59 PM

9,080 posts, read 6,302,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I'm so tired of this trend of glamourizing homelessness. If you are single, able-bodied, and living in a car for extended periods, I'm sorry, but you have ****ed up your life and need to get your head out your ass. And if your are spending your time on social media broadcasting your dumb mistakes instead of un****ing your life and getting back on your feet, I'm going to assume you are a narcissistic loser.
If their lives are not being funded by taxpayers then what is the harm in living like that? I'd say that anyone who can survive outside the rat race has found a superior way to live.

Old 12-27-2022, 02:36 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,345,844 times
Quote:

Or maybe they're just keen observers of the human condition and profiting from those observations. I understand your irritation and that's my gut response, but if they're generating views and ad revenue or some source of income from a pretty straight forward presentation, I do kind of admire their upstream approach to life. That's assuming they really are living as they say and portray.

Kind of a "Truman Show" without the Christof.

Old 12-27-2022, 05:09 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
How about if you're renting out the house you own free and clear while you travel the country in your vehicle? This became much more popular during Covid (germs) and an increase in bedbugs (yuck) in hotels -- the two not necessarily being related. If this is optional and you choose to do it for frugality, convenience, comfort (your own space)...

Or just the adventure...

You're not a "loser."

Judgmental much?

Old 12-27-2022, 05:54 PM

30,141 posts, read 11,770,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Why would anyone want to watch that.
She is cute and has a nice personality. What's not to like. I had never heard of her but I will check her out from time to time.

Old 12-27-2022, 06:58 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
There are these Youtubers who vlog their daily lives. But they are always alone. I guess the vlog is how they connect with people. But I believe there is a name for their condition. It cannot be normal.

I guess the same can be said for people who post on internet forums like City-data too. They may or may not have social lives, and just post on internet forums as a way to connect with people. The difference here is the YTers are willing to show their faces. They are usually very attractive as well.

I have been following YTer Nikki Delventhal for a while. She literally just drives around the country, and internationally by herself and her dog. She lets you watch her do mundane things like walk in and out of the truck stop bathrooms, filling up gas, and eating. She also used to be an NFL cheerleader I believe. She likes to show off her body too. I am thinking about asking her to marry me LOLOLZOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R72jSrO4puQ
Some strain of narcissism.

Old 12-27-2022, 07:17 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,404,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
Their condition is called monetizing LOL..
Yes, this.

Remember the movie "The Truman Show"?

This is basically that, except that it's done on a shoe-string, the main character is in on the concept, and gets to keep all the money earned from advertisements, possible in-story product endorsements, and Patreon donations.

Old 12-27-2022, 11:17 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,448,290 times
"YTers who vlog their lonely lives, what is their condition called?"

Millenialism? Gen-X-erism?

Old 12-28-2022, 01:03 AM

11,425 posts, read 5,967,061 times
I am not getting the criticism of people who make a killing posting on YouTube, other than envy.

This woman found a way to cash in. As long as what she is doing is legal, more power to her. I save my scorn for criminals and con men, politicians and other cheats.

She found a way to pull down $500,000 per year taking advantage of working within the rules. Good for her. Her content isn't worth much to me. If I have any criticism at all, it is for YouTube. I think they vastly overpay for these content providers. I don't think the advertising dollars and purchases they stimulate are worth what they are paid for it on YouTube, but that is their problem not mine.

A lot of people are trying to cash in on posting to YouTube. Most fail to make more than a pittance. A few make a killing. More power to them. They aren't breaking the law and nobody is putting a gun to their heads to watch their content.

You can call it narcissm. I call it ambition and work ethic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology