Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2022, 03:53 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,215,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I am not getting the criticism of people who make a killing posting on YouTube, other than envy.

This woman found a way to cash in. As long as what she is doing is legal, more power to her. I save my scorn for criminals and con men, politicians and other cheats.

She found a way to pull down $500,000 per year taking advantage of working within the rules. Good for her. Her content isn't worth much to me. If I have any criticism at all, it is for YouTube. I think they vastly overpay for these content providers. I don't think the advertising dollars and purchases they stimulate are worth what they are paid for it on YouTube, but that is their problem not mine.

A lot of people are trying to cash in on posting to YouTube. Most fail to make more than a pittance. A few make a killing. More power to them. They aren't breaking the law and nobody is putting a gun to their heads to watch their content.

You can call it narcissm. I call it ambition and work ethic.
Yup! Well said. Also, how about the millions of people in this country that worship overpaid athletes just because they can catch or throw a ball? At the end of the day everything is a business and it’s all about endorsements, advertising dollars and sponsors, etc. Yes our society is screwed up when a backup kicker in the NFL or YouTuber who just documents living in their van makes significantly more then our teaches or fireman, etc but that’s the way of the world.

I’ve seen Nikki and many of her videos. Mostly because I like travel. My take on her specifically is she absolutely milks her physical beauty to get more views but I don’t think to a point where it’s not family friendly so to speak. She is very subtle about it, most of the time. She also has a personality on her show to add substance, even if it’s just a public facade and her YouTube ego. Yes I may have coined a new term YouTube ego. I can’t imagine documenting every day or week of my life year after year and sharing it with the world, to me that would feel draining but to other people it’s not, especially if it’s very lucrative.

If there was no financial incentive the question is would YouTubers still be motivated to share their content out of loneliness, or narcissism, etc? Some still would sure. Many people use YouTube to create a community of like minded people and network as well. One other guy I follow called Traveling Robert is also a pretty successful YouTuber and traveler and does meetups periodically to meet his “followers”. To me that says there is a genuine side to him and it’s not all about just his YouTube ego.

Everyone watches for different reasons, and going back specifically to Nikki just for examples sake, I’m sure there’s a whole variety of reasons why people watch her. Yes I’m sure there are a ton of desperate guys who just lust over her, and she knows that. Also probably a lot of people watch her simply to live vicariously through her. Some for ideas or inspiration. Some just for the sake of entertainment. Bottom line is she has an audience.

Do I personally think she’s attractive? Sure she’s physically good looking, but do I idolize her and put her on a mental pedestal like some men do, absolutely not. If her show didn’t have more substance then just flaunting her body I wouldn’t watch.

Traveling Robert also has a significant audience and I use him to add some contrast to Nikki. He’s not physically attractive and much older (60’s) but his content is great. Just watched his video series on the Lewis and Clark expedition of him retracing their journey and all the important stops along their way. Learned a lot and it was just good entertainment, for me.

Like I said, personally I couldn’t imagine having to carry a camera everywhere I go and recording every little situation or interaction but some do, and it’s definitely a job. It’s work no doubt. As far as how much value it adds to society is subjective just like those sports players.

Last edited by JPrzybylski07; 12-28-2022 at 04:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2022, 07:47 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,457,773 times
I highly doubt Nikki is lonely. A former NFL Cheerleader and beautiful. Mmmmhmmmm.

Lonely and desolate....okay....I have a bridge in Florida to sell you.

It is the persona she creates on her You Tube to enthrall and attract viewers. Obviously it works.

Old 12-28-2022, 12:56 PM

13,692 posts, read 7,979,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
Their condition is called monetizing LOL..
No doubt.

Old 12-28-2022, 01:24 PM

6,791 posts, read 9,340,858 times
I don’t watch this particular channel, but I watch another one with a guy in a Jeep who up until last year was alone.

I like seeing the places he stops at and the camp equipment he uses. Gives me ideas sometimes for my own vacations.

Old 12-31-2022, 06:46 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,582,897 times
this is funny - have you ever seen a person who is posing for a selfie, with their phone on outstretched arm. They are looking down at the phone/camera, posing. They look so ridicoulous!

I was watching the movie "Old" and this real slim in shape chick was posing in her string bikini, putting her body and leg and all in a model pose. she looked actually funny doing that.. very vain looking. you can see the vanity and pride pouring out of her, while looking like she was totally unaware how how stupid she looked.

Old 01-01-2023, 11:23 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,694,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
Same.

What’s the name of the condition for people who waste their time watching videos of others doing mundane things? That cannot be normal.
Boring.

Old 01-01-2023, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm wondering what YOUR condition is called... Voyeurism, I think, or stalking?

Don't count on these "lonely" people on YT being alone IRL.

Showing yourself doing "van-life" is big business, especially since the pandemic.

As for people who just love to make and post videos of themselves in general, narcissism.

Unfortunately, that lately seems to be a pandemic unto itself!
Dingdingding! You nailed it on both counts.

First thing I thought upon reading the OP was “needs attention to a sick degree AND trying to scam people instead of working for money.” She gets away with it because of being a young female who some consider attractive.

Pass.

Old 01-01-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Dingdingding! You nailed it on both counts.

First thing I thought upon reading the OP was “needs attention to a sick degree AND trying to scam people instead of working for money.” She gets away with it because of being a young female who some consider attractive.

Pass.
What’s the difference between all the actors in this country we idealize who command millions of dollars to read some scripted lines in a movie and some YouTuber making money off their views, sponsors and endorsements?

The worst are these sports stars appearing on commercials for low quality food franchises like Subway and Little Caesars just to make money, when it’s so obvious they don’t eat that garbage food. Such sellouts. Most YouTubers actually use the products they try to sell.

You need to go back to what I wrote on the beginning of this page.. you sound so jealous and ignorant.

Old 01-01-2023, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
What’s the difference between all the actors in this country we idealize who command millions of dollars to read some scripted lines in a movie and some YouTuber making money off their views, sponsors and endorsements?

The worst are these sports stars appearing on commercials for low quality food franchises like Subway and Little Caesars just to make money, when it’s so obvious they don’t eat that garbage food. Such sellouts. Most YouTubers actually use the products they try to sell.

You need to go back to what I wrote on the beginning of this page.. you sound so jealous and ignorant.
You need to quit making assumptions based on nothing real.

I don’t watch TV and I don’t follow the narcissistic bloggers. I know BS when I see it, including yours. You can choose to help the “monetizers.” I don’t.

Old 01-01-2023, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
You need to quit making assumptions based on nothing real.

I don’t watch TV and I don’t follow the narcissistic bloggers. I know BS when I see it, including yours. You can choose to help the “monetizers.” I don’t.
I have no vested interest in any monetizer. I agree there is a ton of BS out in the world but not sure what BS of mine you are referring to. Also, what assumptions am I making exactly? You are very vague and make no specific points other than bloggers are automatically considered narcissistic.

Once again you sincerely sound very ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology