Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2023, 01:35 PM

1,022 posts, read 743,338 times

Advertisements

Some guy named Al or Albert or something has it quoted

"Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent People Ignore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2023, 07:49 PM

17,371 posts, read 22,129,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
One of my New Year’s resolutions is to stop being rude and to stop arguing online.

From now on, I am not going to be rude or argue online. And if someone is rude to me or wants to argue, I am not going to engage.

This is in the psychology forum because I read in the Wall Street Journal that you can change your personality, even late in life, and taking a small step at a time helps do that.

So, everyone, if you see me being rude or arguing, you can hold me accountable.
Well you are an idiot and don't know what you're talking about..................

****testing**** to see if you are sticking with it!

Old 01-18-2023, 10:07 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,293,976 times
Quote:
One of my New Year’s resolutions is to stop being rude and to stop arguing online.
Some situations require an argument in order to unearth the real solution to a problem. That's not being rude, but some people call it rude because they don't want to consider other options. That's their problem, not yours and no amount of one-sided resolutions on your part is going to improve things for those closed minded people.

Old 01-19-2023, 05:05 AM

1,142 posts, read 627,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
Some guy named Al or Albert or something has it quoted

"Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent People Ignore
I will have to agree wholeheartedly.

There are a few individuals here that almost never take things "personal", even when somebody obviously attacks them.

I get this sense that they are confident in their views and wise enough to understand that there will always be individuals who just want to push their opinions onto others.... my way or the highway.

I do my best to just "ignore" certain individuals. The truth is that life is just way too short and busy to give everyone your time and attention. Budget your energy to the ones who are intelligent and wise. If it's going to add positivity to your life, then it's worth it. Otherwise it's just more noise that you don't need.

Old 01-19-2023, 05:49 AM

30,318 posts, read 23,789,660 times
Quote:

From now on, I am not going to be rude or argue online. And if someone is rude to me or wants to argue, I am not going to engage.

This is in the psychology forum because I read in the Wall Street Journal that you can change your personality, even late in life, and taking a small step at a time helps do that.

You'll probably just need to stay off of the internet.

I've made this 'resolution' many times over, (not just New Year's).

But...it's the internet. And you get people on the internet who:

*Don't understand humor. At. All.
*Just want to argue.
*Don't understand 'context'.
*Don't read clearly, and make up their own mind 'what you meant'.
*Make every last thing 'political'.
*Reply to comments for no other reason than to rile people up - it's called a certain word but APPARENTLY, we are not allowed to use that word on this forum.

So, I go into it thinking:

"I'm going to make comments on this video, and I KNOW someone, somewhere, IS going to have a big, fat problem with it no matter how positive it is, because...people."

And I think, "No matter how stupid the response, by at least one, because there is always one, just ignore it."

And I have failed, repeatedly, because some of the things people say is so. stupid! SO. STUPID! That I can't just let it sit there.

If you manage to keep getting on the internet, whether it's here, another forum, social media, videos, etc. and not engage with some of the mouth breathers in the world - you're a stronger and better person than me.

I wish you luck.

You are going to need it.

Old 01-19-2023, 07:21 AM

6,311 posts, read 4,212,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
I will have to agree wholeheartedly.

There are a few individuals here that almost never take things "personal", even when somebody obviously attacks them.

I get this sense that they are confident in their views and wise enough to understand that there will always be individuals who just want to push their opinions onto others.... my way or the highway.

I do my best to just "ignore" certain individuals. The truth is that life is just way too short and busy to give everyone your time and attention. Budget your energy to the ones who are intelligent and wise. If it's going to add positivity to your life, then it's worth it. Otherwise it's just more noise that you don't need.

Old 01-19-2023, 09:07 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,164,978 times
Some people thrive off of any kind of attention, whether it be positive or negative attention.

They're called energy parasites.

Old 01-19-2023, 09:30 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,994,842 times
Quote:
I don't recall you ever being rude or arguing. But then, maybe you hang out in forums I don't frequent.

Old 01-19-2023, 10:11 AM

20,417 posts, read 14,709,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I admire those folks who always seem to have an even keel. I am not one of those people. I even DM'd a member once, to tell her how I admired how she ALWAYS seemed to choose to respond evenly...even if people did not treat her the same way.
I also admire those folks who have a wicked sense of humor. I have laughed MANY times at some of the smart aleck shenanigans going on around here. LOL
I won't say that my keel is always 100% even, but I learned some years back that if I am having a rough day or I'm emotionally raw about something, then the last thing I ought to do is bring it here. I have not got really worked up about anything here since like 2015ish when I took a break from this forum after blowing up over some stuff that I was just already on edge about (had tough things going on in life at the time.) When I returned, it was with the resolve to keep those strong feelings out of my interaction here.

There are likely times when others read more intense tone into my posts than what is really being felt by me, I do sometimes use hyperbole to make points. But these days it would be pretty safe for anyone to assume that I'm not backing my posts with any big feels. I'm just trying to have a conversation...hoping to be understood.

But if I were gonna make some kind of a New Year's resolution it might be to strive for brevity, that seems to be my biggest weak spot. I won't do that though, I know myself too well...

EDIT: Another thing I'd give as advice to anyone who wants to work on civility in the forums, is to learn to recognize BAIT. Sometimes someone is trying to deliberately bait you into a reaction that will get you in trouble. Sometimes someone makes a reference to you that may look like bait whether they mean it to be or not. But if you feel like you're seeing a worm on a hook, pause before you reply to it... Those are risky situations, with potential for infractions. And sometimes you "win" I think, intellectually, by seeing it, recognizing it, and leaving that bait right where it sits, untouched.

Old 01-19-2023, 10:17 AM

4,994 posts, read 5,304,844 times
Quote:

Good luck! I think online garbage is getting the best of a lot of us. I realized some months back that there are some really toxic people on Facebook that I know in real life, but wouldn't call a friend. I got tired of feeling pressured to be 'friends' with them so I cut them out and went to a family only format. It has really helped me to not overthink and focus on what I can handle. My attitude has become better again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology