Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 02:29 PM

35,133 posts, read 31,438,702 times

Advertisements

Personally, it just lowers inhibitions. If I'm already ticked about something "under the surface" while sober, I could blow up about it when drinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2023, 02:32 PM

50,429 posts, read 64,185,923 times
My husband and I observe cocktail hour every night before dinner. It’s a nice ritual and we get just a wee bit tipsy. As someone else said, if the grandchildren are here we don’t drink, and never drink and drive.

We limit to one if we go to a restaurant, because of the cost of drinking out, and also the drive home.

The bad thing is, I tend to forget things the next day, like how a movie ended, or if I told my husband something already.

Old 01-24-2023, 03:01 PM

2,147 posts, read 1,075,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahfeehan View Post
My parents growing up were very strict on alcohol. They disapproved on drinking saying it turns you into a bumbling, loud imbecile.

When I first had my drink at 19 at a pub with college friends I was surprised to see that while many got more lively, peoples behavior generally didn't deviate too much from their sober personalities. My psychiatrist always told me that people who behaved badly under the influence had thoughts repressed but never acted on them.

I would have to agree with his point. There's no doubt that alcohol impairs judgement and people can do stupid things but I believe the excessive behavior we see of drunk people who get arrested is just something they'd have done eventually.
I'm a lot like "Snazzy" as for being responsible when I drink. IF I know I'm going to a party where I will be drinking (even 1 drink) I will ride with a DD. If I am going to be with my grandkids, NO WAY! I will have a wine cooler or two when grilling if their parents are there, but if I'm primarily responsible for them there will be NO drinking at all, and certainly no driving. If I'm drinking out at my brother's house I will stop and have water for about 2 hours and then drive home. But again, if anyone else is riding with me I will not drink.

Old 01-24-2023, 03:21 PM

3,519 posts, read 779,307 times
i never drove this car unless i was buzzed .. never drunk just buzzed .. here i am repainting the yellow stripe back to black ..

Old 01-24-2023, 03:50 PM

2,045 posts, read 795,209 times
I'm much more likely to do something crazy when I'm sober than when I'm crunk.

My rules for drinking - 1) All my responsibilities are taken care of beforehand
2) I stop drinking from the second day after the Super Bowl until the first Friday of baseball season. I also abstain from junk food, weed (which I only do while drinking) and gambling during this time.

I rarely drink during the week anymore ... I pick my spots. I'm well-behaved while inebriated.

Some people can handle alcohol, some can't ... man must know his limitations and weaknesses.

Old 01-24-2023, 04:57 PM

26,028 posts, read 22,219,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I decided at a very young age to not drink, but was respectful of other people's choices. However, as I grew up and was exposed to other people drinking, I increasingly disliked being around them when they were drinking.
I agree. I don't care to be around this either when they are drinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Personally, it just lowers inhibitions. If I'm already ticked about something "under the surface" while sober, I could blow up about it when drinking.
I agree with it "lowers inhibitions", but also that they have the idea they can blame the alcohol for their behavior when it is undesirable to others. That argument doesn't really hold up.

https://www.shatterproof.org/learn/a...20is%20harmful.

"Alcohol, like other depressants, slows down the central nervous system. This can lead to feelings of relaxation, confidence, and lowered inhibitions. It can also cause physical reactions like loss of coordination, memory, and the ability to make good decisions."

Old 01-24-2023, 05:02 PM

6,905 posts, read 4,920,978 times
The only people that enjoy being around other drunk people that think they are funny are other drunk people.

Old 01-24-2023, 05:07 PM

11,789 posts, read 6,149,854 times
How Alcohol Affects Behavior

Alcohol decreases some of the activity of the prefrontal cortex. This part of the brain is what helps you to think clearly and rationally, and it is involved in your decision making abilities. When you drink, alcohol makes it harder for the prefrontal cortex to work as it should, disrupting decision-making and rational thought. In this way, alcohol prompts you to act without thinking about your actions.

The prefrontal cortex part of the brain is partly responsible for your sense of control over your emotions and behaviors, impacting willpower and even aggressive thoughts and actions. It can enhance emotions you are already feeling and make it harder for you to gauge when enough is enough. When you drink, you may be less able to control your emotions; you may speak and act without thinking; and situations may get out of hand faster than they would if you weren’t drinking.

https://alcohol.org/effects/inhibitions/

Old 01-24-2023, 05:09 PM

537 posts, read 452,722 times
I grew up with teetotalers. I was a typical frat boy in college--purple passion parties, etc.

As a young adult, we hung out in a pub owned by a college buddy with all the young doctors and lawyers.

As an early retiree, we no longer drink much of anything. On a cruise, we've been known to have no bar bills even.

All alcohol does for me now is loosen my tongue--and make me go to sleep.

Old 01-24-2023, 05:36 PM

515 posts, read 257,372 times
Depends a lot on your mental state before you start drinking. If I am excitable and I drink I react differently than if I am calm or tired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology