Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2023, 01:10 PM

45,340 posts, read 60,522,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitori View Post
When I hear dirty jokes, I don't laugh at all. But everyone around me laughs so hard, as if it were such a sharp joke that you could cut yourself. And if someone curses like a sailor, it's the height of wit.

Such jokes make me very nervous. I blush and sweat and try my best not to lose my temper. I don't see how it can be funny. But I can laugh at a joke that doesn't make anyone laugh except me.

Is that normal?
You aren't stupid or dirty minded enough?

Sweat and blush? That's somewhat of an overreaction.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 02-15-2023 at 01:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2023, 01:23 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
What children are fed in media does influence them. Sometimes the influence fades with age or is eliminated in self examination, sometimes not. The growth of the internal framework that interprets reality is pliable in young children. Vetting what they see or experience is part of the job of parenting. Helping them interpret and understand what they have seen is another.

It pays to remember that no child is a complete tabula rasa. Each has inborn individuality that will out in some way, no matter how the child is raised or what it experiences.
One last off-topic comment, though. I grew up in the 80s watching stuff on MTV and cable, and I can definitely say that I saw some content that was too mature for me, but at the same time, I didn't understand it. My mother took me to see Dirty Dancing in the theater, and it was the kind of movie we watched at slumber parties when it came out on video, and the whole abortion plot went flying over my head until I saw it again as an adult. I was not scarred or grew up too soon because of it.

Old 02-15-2023, 02:08 PM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,686 times
I understand not everyone finds the same things comical but that opens up another conversation as to why do certain type jokes not appeal to some people. The topic is dirty jokes, are they offensive? If so, why? Theres a lot of things i dont like, but if the joke is funny, its funny regardless of what its about in my opinion.

Old 02-15-2023, 02:34 PM

10,990 posts, read 6,860,952 times
There's risqué and there's low brow. Some people like low brow, some don't. Some are offended by low brow. Some are bored, unimpressed and snarky about anything that isn't low brow humor.

My mother loved a silly corny "dirty" joke and loved telling them. They were clever, i.e., 1960's, 1970's, 1980's clever, which is much different than nowadays.

Old 02-15-2023, 04:25 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I understand not everyone finds the same things comical but that opens up another conversation as to why do certain type jokes not appeal to some people. The topic is dirty jokes, are they offensive? If so, why? Theres a lot of things i dont like, but if the joke is funny, its funny regardless of what its about in my opinion.
Same. Same.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-16-2023, 05:22 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
There's risqué and there's low brow. Some people like low brow, some don't. Some are offended by low brow. Some are bored, unimpressed and snarky about anything that isn't low brow humor.

My mother loved a silly corny "dirty" joke and loved telling them. They were clever, i.e., 1960's, 1970's, 1980's clever, which is much different than nowadays.
The definition of offensive is "causing someone to feel deeply hurt, upset, or angry". How does a dirty joke or conversation cause this feeling in some? Is it not so much being offended, but rather more about being uncomfortable talking about those subjects? I am not telling anyone what they should and should not find funny, but I think there is humor in everything and it seems that there is too much thought being put into what some people find acceptable to laugh at. For me, there are jokes/ conversations that I have no interest in at all and then to my surprise find myself laughing. Regardless of the type of joke, the funniest ones to me are the ones you can relate to, the ones where you have been in those situations, the ones where you see yourself being in those situations and then the punchline is exactly what you would do, or have done.

Old 02-16-2023, 03:27 PM

200 posts, read 109,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You aren't stupid or dirty minded enough?

Sweat and blush? That's somewhat of an overreaction.
People who see me for the first time are sometimes very surprised at how pure my mind is. I am not a holy or blessed person, as some people immediately start thinking. I'm just not dirty at all. My thinking is too concrete. I don't even always understand when people make jokes. And I don't always realize that a joke has sexual overtones until someone tells it to me directly. And then I feel like I'm not respected for allowing such jokes about me. It's like they throw a piece of dirt or spit gum at me and laugh. That's why I have such a strong reaction.

I mostly talk on the Internet. One day a girl joined a chat. And when everyone started making dirty jokes, she started doing that too. And I saw how much everyone liked her. She didn't blow up like I did. Then I thought, what if these people don't want to offend me in any way, what if they just have this way of talking to everyone, not just me? And that if I was also dirty and vulgar like that girl, I'd probably have a boyfriend.

Last edited by Hitori; 02-16-2023 at 03:56 PM..

Old 02-16-2023, 03:43 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
I find nothing dirty about sex, and like everything in life, it is often the subject of humor.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-16-2023, 04:22 PM

1,400 posts, read 764,844 times
You hate dirty and stupid jokes because vulgarity is a poor substitution for wit.

Brian Regan, his vintage material from the 80s, is the funniest thing ever!

Check out Brian Regan Pop Tarts : D on YouTube

Old 02-17-2023, 02:54 AM

200 posts, read 109,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I find nothing dirty about sex, and like everything in life, it is often the subject of humor.
I told that I like to wear cat ears. They started writing that I need a tail too and sending me pictures of anal plug tails
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology