Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2023, 08:29 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,929,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
I've grown an aversion to people laughing when the vids come out with people falling, slipping on ice. Not funny to me at all. I feel for the person that fell. People laugh their as*** off at Epic fails, I don't find them funny, just doing stupid stuff.

That slapstick stuff (especially when someone isn't like intentionally being that brand of comedian) I just find to be dumb humor. I heard it called "schadenfruend" (sp??) or something like that--example given to describe it was someone is pulled over on the side of the road with car trouble and the other drivers laugh at them, thinking something like what a loser. I can't wrap my mind around that. I guess I have too much empathy. It could easily be me. It could easily be me slipping and falling on ice--wait a minute, I've done that a few times. Never been hurt much, but yeah. I don't see any humor in it. Unless you're just not very intelligent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
I like wit and sarcasm better than jokes, unless they are funny!
Yeah, that's the kind of humor I like too. I really like the irreverent humor. We Presbyterians at our church laugh all the time at that kind of stuff.

I'm dyslexic so I first thought you wrote, "I like wit and sarcasm jokes better, unless they are funny". And I was like, Oh they meant to write, "aren't" so I was going to write a sarcastic response, "Yeah, the ones that aren't funny get the biggest laughs out of me too". But then I corrected the dyslexic reading--gotta love dyslexia and brains that get things easily mixed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitori View Post
Once a guy wrote that it was his birthday on June 11. I wrote that my birthday was October 12. He wrote back "what a coincidence". I laughed for a long time.
Oh man, I would get a good laugh out of that too. I love dry humor.

Quote:
I once said that I had a katana. One guy replied that he, too, had a katana between his legs and knew how to handle it. That's no funny.
I would not find that funny either. It's a dirty joke and I find them unappealing. The world has taken sex out of its proper setting within the sanctity of marriage as God has purposed it. It's trashed something that was meant to be beautiful and pure. I stay away from the kind of humor that implies sex is cheap and is not something holy and blessed by God to be conducted strictly within a marriage relationship. But, I get it that that's not the way most people think (and that you most likely don't have that reason for feeling the way you do about dirty jokes).

Last edited by Basiliximab; 01-28-2023 at 08:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2023, 09:06 AM

5,656 posts, read 3,160,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
I can't think of anything more disgusting than taking a good joke and referring to it as "potty" humor, which is not only inaccurate but a total overreaction to a joke.
You're calling me out for referring to dirty jokes as potty humor? Ok. Seems like a bit of an over reaction, but I guess if you feel like it's your place to tell people how to think, that reaction would be normal.

Old 01-28-2023, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
That slapstick stuff (especially when someone isn't like intentionally being that brand of comedian) I just find to be dumb humor. I heard it called "schadenfruend" (sp??) or something like that--example given to describe it was someone is pulled over on the side of the road with car trouble and the other drivers laugh at them, thinking something like what a loser. I can't wrap my mind around that. I guess I have too much empathy. It couenduld easily be me. It could easily be me slipping and falling on ice--wait a minute, I've done that a few times. Never been hurt much, but yeah. I don't see any humor in it. Unless you're just not very intelligent.

Yeah, that's the kind of humor I like too. I really like the irrevehumor. We Presbyterians at our church laugh all the time at that kind of stuff.

I'm dyslexic so I first thought you wrote, "I like wit and sarcasm jokes better, unless they are funny". And I was like, Oh they meant to write, "aren't" so I was going to write a sarcastic response, "Yeah, the ones that aren't funny get the biggest laughs out of me too". But then I corrected the dyslexic reading--gotta love dyslexia and brains that get things easily mixed up.

Oh man, I would get a good laugh out of that too. I love dry humor.

I would not find that funny either. It's a dirty joke and I find them unappealing. The world has taken sex out of its proper setting within the sanctity of marriage as God has purposed it. It's trashed something that was meant to be beautiful and pure. I stay away from the kind of humor that implies sex is cheap and is not something holy and blessed by God to be conducted strictly within a marriage relationship. But, I get it that that's not the way most people think (and that you most likely don't have that reason for feeling the way you do about dirty jokes).
Using your example of schadenfrade, it would be more like the guy on the side of the road with car trouble had previously been behaving the fool on the highway...like speeding and weaving in and out of traffic, risking lives. Then he develops engine trouble and people are pointing and laughing at him.

Old 01-28-2023, 10:08 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Using your example of schadenfrade, it would be more like the guy on the side of the road with car trouble had previously been behaving the fool on the highway...like speeding and weaving in and out of traffic, risking lives. Then he develops engine trouble and people are pointing and laughing at him.
Right, there's a saying about good humor punches up, not down. So someone having a legitimately hard time shouldn't be a target, but a pompous blowhard feeling the consequences of their actions can be.

Old 01-28-2023, 10:28 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Stand-up comics often use potty humor and off-color jokes. If they have any rapport with the audience, they can expect some nervous laughter and use a joke as a throw-away to lead into a better joke or routine, where a relieved audience will laugh harder and build the connection. I find such antics tedious.
I like Dry Bar Comedy on YouTube. It's very funny and not off color. Sometimes it skates the line, but in tasteful way. I have yet to see a comedian on there who isn't funny. If a person prefers dirty and dark, they might not like it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvl...dURVD3b3Hx7kxw

Old 01-28-2023, 10:51 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,929,736 times
Quote:
That's a little more understandable. A co-worker explained it to me that other way, like people get enjoyment out of the miseries of others. I can't understand that at all. Your example sounds more reasonable.

Old 01-28-2023, 11:23 AM

204 posts, read 135,941 times
Quote:
When I hear dirty jokes, I don't laugh at all. But everyone around me laughs so hard, as if it were such a sharp joke that you could cut yourself. And if someone curses like a sailor, it's the height of wit.

Such jokes make me very nervous. I blush and sweat and try my best not to lose my temper. I don't see how it can be funny. But I can laugh at a joke that doesn't make anyone laugh except me.

Is that normal?
Sounds perfectly normal to me, and nice to meet you!
Sometimes people laugh at a joke because everyone else in the group is laughing and they don't want to appear "different" or like they didn't get it (regrettably, this applies with dirty jokes as often as not). You sound like a person who has good taste, intelligence, and common sense.
Do you have to hang out with these other people?

Old 01-28-2023, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
That's a little more understandable. A co-worker explained it to me that other way, like people get enjoyment out of the miseries of others. I can't understand that at all. Your example sounds more reasonable.
Well, that's what I would call a schadenfrade humor. But the sense of schadenfrade IS the sense of getting enjoyment out of other people's misfortune. Like the mean girls in school who made fun of you in school. You all show up at the class reunion. Every one of those girls married someone on the football team...some of them were pregnant when they got married and they're expecting baby number#4 now.

Meanwhile, you're a model now for Ford Agency living your best life, traveling the world, and these mean girls look corn fed and tired. MAYBE you might feel a little schadenfrade.

Just an example.

Old 01-28-2023, 01:20 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times
Quote:
Well, that's what I would call a schadenfreude humor. But the sense of schadenfreude IS the sense of getting enjoyment out of other people's misfortune. Like the mean girls in school who made fun of you in school. You all show up at the class reunion. Every one of those girls married someone on the football team...some of them were pregnant when they got married and they're expecting baby number#4 now.

Meanwhile, you're a model now for Ford Agency living your best life, traveling the world, and these mean girls look corn fed and tired.
MAYBE you might feel a little schadenfreude.

Just an example.
That's part of the plot of one of my favorite movies of all time, Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion. LOVE that movie.

Old 01-28-2023, 05:21 PM

30,181 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Yes, there is. Look at the mountains of data to support TV shows, movies and comedians. It is a huge industry and the vast majority of people love comedy. And their product is targeted towards mature adults who enjoy it. And people share jokes all the time. They hear a good one and post it to social media, email it, text it, or phone people they know to tell it or their neighbors. It is normal and natural to enjoy comedy, and those people putting prudist limits on it are not normal and it's not healthy. Yes, you might not understand a joke about Physics because you don't have that experience, but everyone can understand a joke that ends with "I don't know, I think you better pet him first". People don't want to admit they had an abnormal upbringing which makes them a prude. The comedy musician, "Weird Al" Yankovic talked about his prudish upbringing where his mother would cut pictures of women in lingerie out of sales catalogs. Yes, there is a normal, and being prudish isn't it.
What is interesting however is that comedy movies in movie theaters have pretty much gone away. Reason being the international market. Jokes meant for an American market don't always translate well in other countries.

The Absence of Theatrical Comedies: Why Comedies Have Become Less Prevalent in Movie Theaters

What I would say in support of the OP is there is a lot of comedy today based around saying a swear word or something crude as being the punch line. You see that lot with Netflix comedy etc. Even in comedies in TV shows and streaming movies. Is it great comedy to me, no. I am not a prude and I can handle it but I do get how some may not like that at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology