Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 10:53 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
I am in total agreement, OP. In fact, I have posted about this topic on here myself. It seems to me like many of today's comedians rely totally on this type of humor and audiences eat it up. But it doesn't work for me at all. I appreciate a different style of humor altogether.
The best comedians don't have to resort to that sort of thing to get a laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2023, 11:15 AM

2,108 posts, read 1,050,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitori View Post
When I hear dirty jokes, I don't laugh at all. But everyone around me laughs so hard, as if it were such a sharp joke that you could cut yourself. And if someone curses like a sailor, it's the height of wit.

Such jokes make me very nervous. I blush and sweat and try my best not to lose my temper. I don't see how it can be funny. But I can laugh at a joke that doesn't make anyone laugh except me.

Is that normal?
It's all in a person's sense of humor. Everyone's is different. My ex boyfriend had a "corny" sense of humor and would tell the corniest jokes it was embarrassing to me. I don't really like comedy movies because the sense of humor is always different than mine. I laugh and joke all the time and most people love my sense of humor but ex boyfriend never "got it". Just depends on the person.

Old 01-30-2023, 11:45 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,404,856 times
Quote:
When I hear dirty jokes, I don't laugh at all. But everyone around me laughs so hard, as if it were such a sharp joke that you could cut yourself. And if someone curses like a sailor, it's the height of wit.

Such jokes make me very nervous. I blush and sweat and try my best not to lose my temper. I don't see how it can be funny. But I can laugh at a joke that doesn't make anyone laugh except me.

Is that normal?
Maybe you just have good taste. These days, it's considered a crime.

Old 01-30-2023, 12:30 PM

5,656 posts, read 3,160,466 times
People's tastes can change over time. When I was a teenager, I thought the 3 stooges were just dumb. But when I got older, I saw how it had its place.

I could probably watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail 100x before I got tired of it though. LOL

I remember back in the day, when you went to Blockbuster and rented a movie, my boys wanted me to rent them a game, but I said "Let's rent this movie. I think you'll think it's really funny." And we rented Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Those boys laughed hysterically throughout the movie. LOL

Old 01-30-2023, 02:17 PM

8,080 posts, read 7,451,105 times
...and then Little Johnny says "yeah, it's not so funny when it's your Mom, is it?"

Raunchy humor has its place.

...Orange you glad I didn't say "Banana"?

Knock-knock jokes have their place, too.

Old 01-30-2023, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
...and then Little Johnny says "yeah, it's not so funny when it's your Mom, is it?"

Raunchy humor has its place.

...Orange you glad I didn't say "Banana"?

Knock-knock jokes have their place, too.
I agree. They all do. And when your kid tells you a knock knock joke, and laughs and laughs, you laugh too, because they got so tickled over it.

Old 01-30-2023, 02:30 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
People's tastes can change over time. When I was a teenager, I thought the 3 stooges were just dumb. But when I got older, I saw how it had its place.

I could probably watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail 100x before I got tired of it though. LOL

I remember back in the day, when you went to Blockbuster and rented a movie, my boys wanted me to rent them a game, but I said "Let's rent this movie. I think you'll think it's really funny." And we rented Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Those boys laughed hysterically throughout the movie. LOL
That's because John Cleese, one of the writers, is absolutely brilliant! I haven't seen Monty Python, but I've read some of Cleese's writing. Genius! And I"m sure the others involved with MP were brilliant, too. IMO cannot be compared with the slapstick humor of the Stooges.

Old 01-30-2023, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's because John Cleese, one of the writers, is absolutely brilliant! I haven't seen Monty Python, but I've read some of Cleese's writing. Genius! And I"m sure the others involved with MP were brilliant, too. IMO cannot be compared with the slapstick humor of the Stooges.
I'm a big fan of silliness. A knight who's just lost a leg and eventually all his appendages, and says "It's just a flesh wound" as fake blood is spurting everywhere is absurd and silly. A killer rabbit that attacks people...absurd and silly. The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch... Oh God...the whole thing is just so darn funny and quotable. TO ME.

I would imagine there are people who just wouldn't find it funny at all...but that's OK. Everyone is different.

Old 01-30-2023, 03:50 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,325,176 times
Quote:

Is that normal?
You are not alone. I'm with you. "Normal" or not is just the label that the majority in the population to label the minority. Don't care what those who think you are not "normal". Ignore them. Stay away from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I tend to find politically incorrect jokes funny. Like about half the jokes Ricky Gervais tells. The other half go too far for me.
Agreed. I've found Trevor Noah's comedies/jokes are very funny. When I watched his youtubes, I laughed constantly. His comedies did not contain any dirty/swear words. For those which contain dirty/swear words, I don't find them funny and feel like to laugh at all.

Old 01-30-2023, 04:16 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
I tried. I watched one or two dirty movies, and they disgusted me. It was hard and unpleasant for me to watch them. And then I thought, maybe I shouldn't change anything. Maybe I should just be myself. But on the other hand, what if it's a weakness that needs to be overcome?

It's like trying to do the splits. You could say, I can't do it. Or you can practice and do it one day.

Or, for example, you don't know how to cook and so you eat chocolates. You can justify yourself that you simply have no other choice and have to eat chocolates. Or you can learn how to cook and eat good food.

I googled whether it's beautiful or not to be dirty. But they say it's neither beautiful nor not beautiful, it's just dirty.
I don't think a person's sense of humor works like that. If you don't find a joke funny now, even if its a clean joke, you won't find it funny in the future either.ha
It's like your example- some folks can do the splits all their lives with no trouble, while others can never do them at all. Same goes with one's sense of humor.

If it's funny to you, then it's funny. You may not get the punchline guy who came up with the joke created, but that doesn't matter if the joke is funny to you.
Humor changes with age and time too.

I wouldn't worry about trying to change yourself. I don't think you can, and you aren't the only person who dislikes dirty jokes in the world.

Dirty jokes don't bother me, but racist jokes do. A lot, as a black man once saved my life.
So when someone begins to tell a racist joke within my earshot, I either politely tell them to stop because I don't want to hear it, or if it's in a crowd, I may walk away.

I don't want to cause anyone trouble, or create any, but I won't stand hearing a racist joke any more. That would be disrespecting the guy who saved my life to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology