Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2023, 05:39 PM

2,045 posts, read 791,010 times

Advertisements

I just took a little walk and noticed two packages from Amazon were left on the doorstep of an Amazon warehouse that has been empty for months. The building is unoccupied. I moved the packages to the side so that they can't really be noticed from the street.

I know the right thing to do is leave them alone, but there's a side of me that wants to know what's in those boxes. I doubt anybody will be looking for them, but I also don't want someone just walking around to take them.

Be honest, what would you do?

Old 01-28-2023, 07:16 PM

1,893 posts, read 2,538,371 times
I would have kept walking and forgot about it after about a minute. Stay in your lane, bro.

Old 01-28-2023, 07:25 PM

4,215 posts, read 4,470,702 times
I would do nothing. However, if you have a hankering for playing the "what's in the Amazon return box" game you can actually bid on pallets full of boxes returned.

https://www.directliquidation.com/li...-pallets-near/

A variation of storage wars.... who knows what you may find?

Old 01-28-2023, 08:44 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,078,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
I just took a little walk and noticed two packages from Amazon were left on the doorstep of an Amazon warehouse that has been empty for months. The building is unoccupied. I moved the packages to the side so that they can't really be noticed from the street.

I know the right thing to do is leave them alone, but there's a side of me that wants to know what's in those boxes. I doubt anybody will be looking for them, but I also don't want someone just walking around to take them.

Be honest, what would you do?
I'd call the cops and report 2 suspicious packages left at the side of an empty warehouse that has been empty for months. Then the police can decide for themselves whether or not they want to do anything about it.

Old 01-28-2023, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I'd call the cops and report 2 suspicious packages left at the side of an empty warehouse that has been empty for months. Then the police can decide for themselves whether or not they want to do anything about it.

I'd prefer not to let the cops get whatever's in the boxes.

Old 01-28-2023, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I would have kept walking and forgot about it after about a minute. Stay in your lane, bro.
They're kind of in my lane because I'm one of the few people who walk back there, bro.

Old 01-29-2023, 12:15 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,078,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
I'd prefer not to let the cops get whatever's in the boxes.
Why not? It sounds like you actually do know what was in the boxes. If you don't know what's in them then why don't you want the cops to investigate suspicious abandoned packages that have been addressed to somebody else?

What if there's something inside the packages that is very dangerous to the public and could be opened by some innocent school kids passing by who end up being injured or killed by what's in there?

I personally find it highly suspicious that somebody left packages at a warehouse that's been locked and empty for such a long time. My first thought is that there might be explosives or dangerous biological substances in there. If innocent people were harmed because of my inaction and lack of caution it would not sit easy on my conscience that I didn't do anything to prevent harm and may even be partially responsible for harm to people. By the action of handling and moving them to the side of the building without reporting suspicious and potentially dangerous packages that have been abandoned may make the handler complicit in a crime.

Are there surveillance cameras set up there on the street or side of the building?

Old 01-29-2023, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Why not? It sounds like you actually do know what was in the boxes. If you don't know what's in them then why don't you want the cops to investigate suspicious abandoned packages that have been addressed to somebody else?

What if there's something inside the packages that is very dangerous to the public and could be opened by some innocent school kids passing by who end up being injured or killed by what's in there?

I personally find it highly suspicious that somebody left packages at a warehouse that's been locked and empty for such a long time. My first thought is that there might be explosives or dangerous biological substances in there. If innocent people were harmed because of my inaction and lack of caution it would not sit easy on my conscience that I didn't do anything to prevent harm and may even be partially responsible for harm to people. By the action of handling and moving them to the side of the building without reporting suspicious and potentially dangerous packages that have been abandoned may make the handler complicit in a crime.

Are there surveillance cameras set up there on the street or side of the building?

I don't think there are any cameras, the building is empty.

If there's something of value in the boxes, I'd rather have it instead of a cop.

I'm not that paranoid to think it's something dangerous.

Old 01-29-2023, 05:38 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,925,433 times
You don't think that it could be bait? You don't think that other people may have passed it up because they thought it was bait?

Suit yourself! I however would call the police and have it dealt with accordingly, or take a phot of the label if there is one and contact Amazon to deal with it.

Old 01-29-2023, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
You don't think that it could be bait? You don't think that other people may have passed it up because they thought it was bait?

Suit yourself! I however would call the police and have it dealt with accordingly, or take a phot of the label if there is one and contact Amazon to deal with it.
I don't think they're bait and I don't think anybody noticed them. I just went over to look at them and one has a name on it, the other doesn't.

Amazingly, a cop was driving by and I tried to flag him down but he was looking at his phone. I'm not sure if you're of what's going on in Philly, but the cops have pretty much 'quiet quit.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology