Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2023, 12:01 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times

Advertisements

The psychological models and interpretations of sexual behaviors are all over the place, depending upon the root premise of that school. Religious counseling is going to be vastly different than counseling based upon actual biology, especially in the case of chimeras and intersex.

Loosely, from a particular Jungian perspective;

The outward expressions of sexuality are generally culturally based. In the 1700s, men wore wigs and high heels and fancy breeches, etc. In some of the Pacific Islands, the attire of men was a single garment that sheathed the penis. In the middle east, men wear flowing robes and a limp handshake is polite. Every culture has its own norms and "outrageous" behaviors that ostracize or worse. The purposes of the labeling of behaviors is outside of this discussion, but they do have purposes.

Each individual has both an anima (feminine ideal) and animus (masculine ideal) within them, and a projection of that ideal onto people around them. The original purpose (according to this interpretation) was to find the ideal mate for purposes of procreation and to emulate the ideal mate of one's own sex, for the same purpose. When procreation becomes secondary for various reasons - including overpopulation, religious training, and excess of wealth and power, other areas of development and sexuality are explored.

There is NO SUCH THING as a purely masculine or purely feminine individual - psychologically or biologically. Hormones, early development, genetics, culture - all play a role in sexual development.

Within the stages of development, middle age is generally the time when the inferior aspects of the individual are examined. "Inferior" in this case means something similar to Freud's "repressed." A person who has never had an artist's temperament may suddenly take up painting. A slob may become a clothes horse. In the search for a more complete and rounded psyche, once the easy paths to success have been taken, exploration of the unknown, the "dark" side ("dark" in this context simply is another word for unknown), and the forbidden are brought to the forefront.

Whether or not there is sexual arousal or disgust when examining and exploring is going to vary according to the individual. It really is secondary in understanding the model and not something that I'm fearful of enough to stand in judgment. Working in a state hospital and then hosting "Rocky Horror Picture Show" midnight shows for years removed any shock value to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2023, 01:52 PM

6,822 posts, read 10,512,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Lol I mean, picture your average 60-year-old something family man stalking trans men on the internet. Idk..like I said, I must live in a bubble not realizing how common this is.
I wonder if you mean 'stalking trans women' vs. 'trans men'. "Trans woman" refers to someone who is identifying as female. "Trans man" refers to someone who is identifying as male.

Old 02-02-2023, 05:25 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Mod cut: Quoted comment deleted.

Could be curiosity or could be lot's of fake followers. My daughter was hit with a IG bot and got 4k followers in a day and has been spending time each week deleting them but it's slow going. There's also a ton of wierdos out there who just like making sexual comments and if they don't get blocked then they stick around. Most women would block them though.
Yeah, I have a ton of weird subscribers in the past few months due to posting my workout and monster truck content. The monster truck content was reels so I think that had a bigger impact than others... Most are women though.

As for trans men, why are we pearl clutching over that? Whatever happened to "live and let live"?

Old 02-02-2023, 09:01 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I wonder if you mean 'stalking trans women' vs. 'trans men'. "Trans woman" refers to someone who is identifying as female. "Trans man" refers to someone who is identifying as male.
I mixed the terms up.
I'm referring to a man, becoming a woman.
Is that trans woman?

Old 02-03-2023, 05:06 AM

2,045 posts, read 782,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post

As for trans men, why are we pearl clutching over that? Whatever happened to "live and let live"?
I read the entire thread, who's 'pearl clutching'?

And let's not pretend that if Little Tommy shows up at the next family gathering dressed like 'Tanya,' that people, even the most open-minded, aren't going to be shocked and a bit weirded out.

It's still (and probably always will be) strange to the average person and it's still a shame that somebody was born so confused. People need to realize it's a chemical imbalance of some sort.

I wish them peace and for them to do whatever makes them happy. Just don't try to make me believe BS.

Old 02-03-2023, 11:16 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I mixed the terms up.
I'm referring to a man, becoming a woman.
Is that trans woman?
That is a trans woman, yes. In general use the words that reflect the present, not the past.

What has cracked me up about the verbiage is how many people have gotten upset about the term, "cis" to refer to...everyone who is not trans. As though it's some sort of weird insult or something? All it is, is this:

-The prefix “cis-” comes from the Latin meaning “on this side,” as opposed to “trans-” which means “on the other side of” or “beyond.”

It's just an opposite, that's all. Being upset about that is nearly as funny as people claiming that they don't have, or need, any pronouns.

Though I admit that actually using or thinking about grammar terms that seemed pretty useless and irrelevant to learn in detail when I was in school learning them ("when will I ever need to dissect a sentence this much, sheesh!") is a bit strange. Rather like suddenly needing to remember things about cell structure, or the periodic table of elements, or obscure equations, just to politely interact with others in society. Perhaps it was a conspiracy of middle school English teachers who came up with all of this... LOL! What's next, adverbs?? (I am being silly. I have no issue with using someone's stated pronouns. In case tone is lost in text, here.)

And here I was, as a kid, thinking I'd surely need to know what to do if I fell into quicksand...

EDIT: Reflecting on the above definition, I suspect we may reach a point where trans people no longer wish to use the term "trans" at all, and simply want to be called women or men, whatever they have transitioned to be. Or perhaps "affirmed" or some other word (as in, "gender affirming care.") I can easily imagine this one day being considered to be a slur, or left behind, in a language shift that has yet to come. I wouldn't be surprised.

Old 02-06-2023, 03:39 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
You know that usually doesn't happen, right? If someone is just trying to be 'passable'.. Or, as others have mentioned, they're keeping it hidden that they do this.. They're a man during the week, but a woman when they go out on the weekends..

They're not going to have surgery to tip people off.
Because surgery would tip people off (that you could easily lie about) yet a large Adam's apple that some have already said is a dead giveaway wouldn't?

A small shaved Adam's apple would make it harder for them to pass as men?

Old 02-07-2023, 11:52 AM

52,203 posts, read 52,636,749 times
I suppose that there will always be outliers across the spectrum. I think most straight men aren't following trans women online. Loosely speaking of course. I don't have any data here.

I saw one trans woman on a Joe Rogan podcast one time. I forget her name, but she was actually pretty and looked feminine. Apparently, she had a lot of work done to remove some of the more man-ish features. I think she still had the lower parts in place.

I think it helped that she was small, light bone and was probably androgenous to begin with.

I've seen some trans that sort stop you in your tracks with a serious case of cognitive dissonance. Man build, woman accessories.

I feel kind of bad for some of these trans women, aside from the fetish crowd I just can't see to many straight men really wanting to engage and have a serious relationship with a trans woman. Some maybe, but not many. Saw a vid clip of a few trans women sort of talking about it and trying to shame men for not being interested.

Old 02-07-2023, 11:59 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but I think men who follow trans women and know that they're trans are probably still in the closet...

Old 02-11-2023, 07:21 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but I think men who follow trans women and know that they're trans are probably still in the closet...
I think so too. Or they are just confused
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology