Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2023, 03:46 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,717,739 times

Advertisements

I apologize if this is not the correct sub-forum here, but hey it definitely can tell maybe a little deeper picture about the modern world's lack of **purpose**

You would think with the internet's globalization that the world would be as spiritful, celebratory and passionate as ever, yet it seems like the world is becoming the very opposite, more boring, more lethargic, nothing really brings people togethet anymore, even holidays are dying in terms of their celebratory(but yet people sure don't seem to ever shut up about them, that's more so commercialization's fault though)

It could be just nostalgia bilndness and be that I am getting older, even though i am only in my early 20s

But still there definitely seems to be something off

I can even use some statistics

Sports attendance figures are going down across most sports, and not just in the US either

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ge-since-1981/

https://www.nationalworld.com/sport/...season-3424186

https://morningconsult.com/2021/12/2...20early%20July.

https://www.samford.edu/sports-analy...-Facing-NASCAR

Then you have your movie theater sales facing a sharp decline right at the tip of 2020

https://wolfstreet.com/2021/01/10/mo...lated-in-2020/

You want more? World tourism took a hit during 2020, but of course should Covid be a main factor behind it

https://news.un.org/en/story/2021/11/1106712

Concert attendance is also going down very steeply, the shots were called back in 2013

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/201...tendance-down/

So using statistics aside, what's going? Have people made their phones their main form of escapism nowadays? But why? Is it just simply the convenience side of things? Have people forgotten how to live in the present?

Or maybe

Are people feeling overestimulation from all the modern day entertainment options we have and thus led to a bit of a "entertainment" burnout with our society? After all, too much pleasure and fun has been scientifically been proven to lead to a dopamine defeciency too

But I am literally curious, what could be the main driving factor? Seems like people are becoming more casual about things that are meant to be our biggest escapes from life

Even anime, with it being so trendy and hot right now has declined its revenue in its very respective home country, Japan

https://clownfishtv.com/the-japanese...is-in-decline/

Maybe this is why we need to go back to making people earn their charms and enrichments in life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2023, 07:07 AM

19,800 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Perhaps people, in general, are just depressed?

For possible reasons, I can cite (1) the ongoing many ramifications of the pandemic, (2) the fact that (in the U.S., at least) we haven't had a decent leader in many decades, and the current one, imo, is either the worst or second-to-worst EVER, and (3) inflation. Speaking for myself, for the first time in my life, I honestly have no hope of things ever improving, either, as far as most people being happy, or at least content.

Or perhaps people just cannot afford to pay for extras such as tickets to sporting events or concerts because they have other priorities, such as paying for groceries.

Old 02-05-2023, 12:35 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,717,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Perhaps people, in general, are just depressed?

For possible reasons, I can cite (1) the ongoing many ramifications of the pandemic, (2) the fact that (in the U.S., at least) we haven't had a decent leader in many decades, and the current one, imo, is either the worst or second-to-worst EVER, and (3) inflation. Speaking for myself, for the first time in my life, I honestly have no hope of things ever improving, either, as far as most people being happy, or at least content.

Or perhaps people just cannot afford to pay for extras such as tickets to sporting events or concerts because they have other priorities, such as paying for groceries.
Interesting

Old 02-06-2023, 08:18 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Could some of it simply be our age? I'm a boomer. We're still the biggest demographic around. I'm 65. How much passion am I expected to have? I'm happy for the most part...but passion? I mean...I'm not even sure how to define passion at this stage in life.

Old 02-06-2023, 08:58 AM

107 posts, read 51,181 times
I'm 28 and I've felt like a tour guide my whole life. None of my friends have ever seemed to have interests of their own, but are happy to do "whatever I want to do". Why can't I be surprised once in a while?

Old 02-06-2023, 10:43 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
I notice that, too. I wonder if it's because at a very young age we have such a wide array of amazing things that little seems special anymore. "Too much, too soon" comes to mind.

I could go into a long paragraph explaining why I think that, comparing my 1950s childhood to now, but you've probably heard it already. It seems like there is very little that is special that we are encouraged as children to wait and anticipate until we are more age-appropriate.

I do know when a person has that experience of working toward something and waiting for it, when it finally happens that thing becomes precious to them.

Old 02-06-2023, 12:57 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,343,376 times
Might be a form of burnout. Other than that, so much seems very off about this world these days.

Old 02-06-2023, 01:18 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
I was just thinking this the other day. Where is the passion we used to have?

I listen to Willie's Roadhouse on Serius XM, and it's the old great country songs.

Where is the passion and longing we used to have? It's palpable in old songs, and I don't hear it or see it anymore.

"Shameless" written as recently as 1989 is the epitome of this, but there's also so many more. "He Stopped Loving Her Today", "To All The Girls I've Loved Before", "Ring of Fire", etc.

I have a feeling there's a direct correlation between this lack of passion and average sperm count dropping by HALF since 1970.

Old 02-06-2023, 01:49 PM

6,850 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boffking View Post
I'm 28 and I've felt like a tour guide my whole life. None of my friends have ever seemed to have interests of their own, but are happy to do "whatever I want to do". Why can't I be surprised once in a while?
OMG! I feel your pain. They love for me to find thing for us to do. And do the driving. I don't really mind doing the driving, but it would be nice for someone else to do some of the planning!

As for sports attendance being in decline - makes sense to me. If you aren't the one playing and aren't even aquatinted in real life with the players, it's dull as dirt. Look at all those people being paid to chase a ball around. Yawn. And you have to pay for the privilege of being bored.

Old 02-06-2023, 02:18 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,557,060 times
I don't know if passion has become a thing of the past, but there are a few things that might be playing into your perception that it is so.

There's the concept of "too much, too soon." (This was mentioned in post #6.) My maternal grandmother used to tell my mother that if she did everything all at once that she'd not have much to look forward to. My mother used to tell me the same. There's a lot of truth in that statement--truth that I've passed along to my partner when he feels guilty for not granting his children their wishes--especially as so many of their immediate peers seemingly have immediate gratification when it comes to material goods and experiences of the sort that I had to wait until I was on my own to experience. It's good to have the "itch" for new things and experiences as it makes one appreciate them that much more when you finally get to have them.

Affluenza is a real affliction as is the "keeping up with the Joneses lest our children feel the least bit of discomfort," but that's a topic for another thread. What I will say is that my niece and nephew who are of an age with my partner's children, but who have not been raised in an affluent community lack the discontent that my partner's children possess when it comes to "stuff" and opportunities to do certain things with friends and family (ski trips, trips to Europe and places with white sand beaches, etc.) Still, I do see my partner's kids get excited about things in their own lives and things that they see, music that they listen to, ect., so I don't think that there's a complete dearth of passion more a lack of appreciation for all of the privileges that they *do* have. The latter will come with time, life experience, and maturity.

What I will also say is the things that you mention in relation to "passion" cost a heck of a lot more than they did when I was in my twenties. Most mainstream concerts didn't have the huge number of fees tacked on to them, a round-trip flight to Europe in the shoulder and off-season(s) cost me around six-hundred dollars all inclusive of fees and, once I was there, Euro tourism was fairly cheap yet filled with priceless experiences. Going to movies was a much less expensive proposition in relation to my meagre income at the time--an income that allowed me to live on my own in a decent apartment albeit one without amenities that most twenty-something young women would balk at these days (no dishwasher, no central AC, no on-site laundry facilities, no home internet, no cable t.v., somewhat dicey neighborhood, street parking only). It's hard to have the experiences that I had when saddled with student loans (I had none nor did I have an auto loan), the high cost of health insurance/care (in my early twenties, my excellent HI cost fifty dollars/biweekly pay), and one must make at least three times the cost of rent to even be considered as a tenant (all that was required back in the day was no eviction record plus first and last months' rent). Kind of hard to be passionate about spend-y pastimes when the cost of living has become so disproportionate to wages even in "flyover country."

In terms of shared experiences that bring us together, aside from the early days of the COVID pandemic and the period immediately following 9/11, we simply don't have those multigenerational, multicultural things to bring us together as we did even when I was in high school not quite thirty years ago. Pop culture has become much more diffuse with everyone picking and choosing their own particular entertainment bubbles via screens and earbuds.

All of this aside, I don't think that all is lost given my experience at the last concert that I attended. Sold out show, all ages, genders, and races, plenty of dancing, singing along, and general grooving with the joy of the shared experience that is going to a live event. Ditto at the two times that I went to the immersive Van Gogh shows with a friend and a family member respectively. Not a person there seemed to be unmoved by the experience.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 02-06-2023 at 02:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology