Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 09:10 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,681,266 times

Advertisements

The negativity mentioned in the original posting is that of trite, bullying demeanor.
This is very different than negatively that has more realism and is meant to help a person stand up for themselves properly or that something really, really needs to be fixed.

The idea of not being negative to uphold certain social standards and appearance is a good one to go by life, but people take it to the extent that they use it as a weapon when there are situations where they really should be 1-1 real with a person. This kind of manipulation produces a lot of distrust, and that is where the social lines and boundaries can easily get blurred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2023, 10:13 AM

1,075 posts, read 555,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
People are tired of the victimhood. At this point in history with employee guides and countless stories of workplace misconduct, you know exactly how to stay employed or get fired.
I think that is an overly simplistic view. There is a lot human emotional bias that goes into such decisions. Politics, as they say. There is favoritism in the workplace just as there is negative cliquish behavior. If all outcomes were empirical-based and merit-based, a lot more people would be better off or worse off than the existing paradigm dictates.

Old 02-18-2023, 10:18 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,028,365 times
I don't know. I never found it funny when people were hurt or injured, no matter the circumstances.

As I got older, now 70 find it not funny with all the vids of people falling on ice and such. Now the kids doing stupid things for tic tock or Instagram are hilarious to some and some I find funny, but mostly still empathy.

Old 02-18-2023, 12:08 PM

1,075 posts, read 555,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
To add to this: the young woman in question voluntarily put a "kick me" sign on her own back when she created that TikTok bemoaning the fact that she'd been fired for being tardy....and had the poor judgement to make that TikTok while driving.

I don't enjoy watching others fail and will generally do my darndest to help others along their life's path if they're putting in their own fair share of effort, but I also don't see the point in rewarding immature behavior such as seeking online validation and community support when one has made a mistake. This might be a generational trend, but it seems as though with a lot of the younger folks, nothing is ever, ever their fault. Most of us outgrew that attitude on the pdq (often via having the older generations promptly setting us straight as needed), but it seems as though lack of culpability for one's actions has now been extended far beyond adolescence, making young adulthood a harder row to hoe than it needs to be.

Time was a person simply vented privately to friends and family rather than broadcast one's woes to a universe that is largely indifferent at best and will tear one down at worst for being uncouth enough to be so public about screwing up something.
I think what I found most interesting about that specific story was the fact that it was covered at all by a major media outlet. Tens of thousands of people lose their jobs every day. Of those, thousands likely have social media platforms where they share their stories. What was so significant about this one that it was picked up? Furthermore, what's the editor's objective of publishing such an insignificant story? To chum the waters and generate outrage from either side; between those who are "tired of the victimhood" narrative and those who are "tired of overbearing employers"?

It seems to me that a lot of these types of stories are used as an opportunity to stir up derision and needless discord at the expense of the subject.

Old 02-18-2023, 12:41 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,561,084 times
[quote=digitalUID;64893507]I think what I found most interesting about that specific story was the fact that it was covered at all by a major media outlet. Tens of thousands of people lose their jobs every day. Of those, thousands likely have social media platforms where they share their stories. What was so significant about this one that it was picked up? Furthermore, what's the editor's objective of publishing such an insignificant story? To chum the waters and generate outrage from either side; between those who are "tired of the victimhood" narrative and those who are "tired of overbearing employers"?

It seems to me that a lot of these types of stories are used as an opportunity to stir up derision and needless discord at the expense of the subject.[/QU
It's hard to pinpoint the "whys" of why this young woman's story made the news while others did not, but a human interest story involving an attractive young woman tends to generate clicks; the comments involved with the story garner still more interest.

People do love a good debate. That it's at the expense of a subject who set herself up have her actions be publicly scrutinized and commented because she needed validation outside of herself and her personal circle of friends and family? Eh. I don't have a lot of pity for her being flamed a bit by the public for that.
She's likely already found a new job, so it's really a tempest in a teapot at this point in time.

Old 02-18-2023, 05:24 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
I think what I found most interesting about that specific story was the fact that it was covered at all by a major media outlet. Tens of thousands of people lose their jobs every day. Of those, thousands likely have social media platforms where they share their stories. What was so significant about this one that it was picked up? Furthermore, what's the editor's objective of publishing such an insignificant story? To chum the waters and generate outrage from either side; between those who are "tired of the victimhood" narrative and those who are "tired of overbearing employers"?

It seems to me that a lot of these types of stories are used as an opportunity to stir up derision and needless discord at the expense of the subject.
Well, stuff on a major news outlet these days is there, probably, more times or not, as something to make people watch and not because it is news worthy. The news outlets know how to twitch the watching of viewers and even worse, to keep people watching, one way or another.

Old 02-18-2023, 07:57 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,926,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
This came up on another thread which linked a "news" story about someone getting fired for a reason.

Queue the laughter, mockery, denigration.

"What an idiot!"

"Guess she'll learn her lesson next time."

At face value, the story seemed to actually empathize with the subject of the story, in that the employer's response to the situation was incredibly harsh. No matter, people were quick to judge and criticize the individual even though they don't know the facts of the story or the character of this particular person. The majority of the sentiments leaned heavily towards "haha, you suck, better luck next time" than it did "that sucks, hope they learn something, and land on their feet".

I tend to believe that there is always some linkage to our deep-rooted, biological traits that describe our most primal, visceral reactions to things. So, what is going on in these situations? Is this behavior tied to a 'survival of the fittest' mentality? I love this analogy and I think it describes this well: it's easy to judge someone else's bad breath even though your own nose, which sits right above your mouth, has trouble detecting your own bad breath.
That's too bad. It could easily happen to them. Nothing says it can't. I always feel horrible when I hear about someone losing their job (of course unless it was their own fault, I mean a bad worker is a bad worker and one who probably needs to learn the value of actually having employment).

Old 02-18-2023, 08:04 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
I don’t think most people like to see others fail.

However, most people don’t like to see others they personally know succeed beyond their level.

Old 02-18-2023, 08:17 PM

11,474 posts, read 5,995,398 times
Human nature. It all too common. At it is root, either it makes us feel superior to others, or it makes us grateful to avoid their situation. It is ego either way. It is just human nature.

A kid falls down. All the other kids laugh at him. You can't get more basic than that.

Adults can't shake that nature. Culture can make you feel guilty about it or can make you temper your enjoyment, but it is hard to eliminate that from basic human nature.

Some of it is even beneficial. If you are tired of being laughed at for failing, just maybe you will put out the effort and take steps to stop failing. Sometimes it provides useful motivation to improve yourself, which improves society generally, so a cultural positive.

Old 02-18-2023, 10:25 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Human nature. It all too common. At it is root, either it makes us feel superior to others, or it makes us grateful to avoid their situation. It is ego either way. It is just human nature.

A kid falls down. All the other kids laugh at him. You can't get more basic than that.

Adults can't shake that nature. Culture can make you feel guilty about it or can make you temper your enjoyment, but it is hard to eliminate that from basic human nature.

Some of it is even beneficial. If you are tired of being laughed at for failing, just maybe you will put out the effort and take steps to stop failing. Sometimes it provides useful motivation to improve yourself, which improves society generally, so a cultural positive.
Well, on that note .......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHi2dxSf9hw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology