Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 09:06 AM

522 posts, read 343,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post
I say go for it! And I don't believe it is a mid-life crisis. My mother got a rose tattoo at the age of 60....this was after my sister passed and it is remembrance thing.
Cool
People might say it's a midlife crisis thing but the reality is that the thought first crossed my mind long before that would have been a stage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2023, 09:08 AM

522 posts, read 343,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Ok, so that could be your answer: I’m finally going to assert myself with mom and dad.
That could very well be the case. I still have occasional boundary issues.

Quote:
I don’t know if you said what ethnicity or what types of folks are in your circle, but some women would not date a man with an earring or earrings. Make sure you won’t be repelling anyone you care about attracting.
Good point! That thought has actually crossed my mind that it could affect dating prospects. It could turn off an otherwise good match. I've asked some women and most seem receptive to it, although some do not like earrings on men.

Old 02-22-2023, 09:29 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,050,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm4256 View Post
That could very well be the case. I still have occasional boundary issues.

Good point! That thought has actually crossed my mind that it could affect dating prospects. It could turn off an otherwise good match. I've asked some women and most seem receptive to it, although some do not like earrings on men.
To me, it reminds me of Mr. Clean.

Old 02-22-2023, 11:34 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Perhaps a more intriguing question here would be to ponder the nature of "midlife crisis"... I mean, we all think of balding 50-something men in sportscars, but maybe the whole point is that we might spend years in young adulthood making sacrifices and one day decide to go ahead and DO that thing that's been on our mind a long time.

When you're in your 20s and 30s, a lot of us are trying to establish ourselves in careers, dealing with student loans or other debt incurred before we were particularly stable in life, or raising kids. Right? So we may have thought of things that would be cool to do "some day" if we could ever afford it. Maybe "midlife" is just when we hit "Buy" on that item that's been in our wish list for years, or otherwise make the leap on things we've put off. Maybe the kids are grown, maybe we've achieved some other kind of stability, or maybe we just realize that life is too short to spend longing for something and never enjoying it. Maybe midlife is when we realize that we aren't going to live forever so we may as well get to LIVING while the gettin's good?

And as much as people sometimes throw shade at this sort of thing, I don't really see anything pathetic or bad about it. Frankly, I wish that everyone had the ability at some point in their lives, to cut loose, do things for themselves, and enjoy life, (whatever that may look like for them) rather than some notion that it needs to be a brutal slog from cradle to grave.

Old 02-22-2023, 01:23 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,744,165 times
Quote:
To me, it reminds me of Mr. Clean.
But you are an older senior right? I doubt OP's peer group of Millennials would even know who that was, and they are unlikely to bat an eye at a man with an earring.

Old 02-22-2023, 02:32 PM

841 posts, read 554,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm4256 View Post
If not for you, he may have done so.

One thing I've noticed is that tattoos and/or nose rings seem to be popular after divorces.
LOL, I had thought about mine for a long time, but yes, filed for divorce in September and got the tattoo in October. I thought long and hard about a subject I would want on me, looked at examples of colors fading, and had followed my artist for several years. I've also been 125 pounds and I've been 250 pounds, so I have my share of flabby skin in places and it gave me a good idea of what parts of my body stayed looking the same and what didn't. (I settled on my upper arm.)

Honestly, I rarely think about it as I've never been one that wears sleeveless shirts. The only thing I am having trouble with now is all the see through sleeves on the dresses I am looking at to get married in. I'm 43 - I don't care if anyone knows I have a tattoo of a flower on my arm - I just don't want it to stand out if that makes sense.

OP - We don't let students in our program have visible tattoos or wear piercings (except for 1 or 2 in the lobe I think) when they are out in public schools. Some students take them out, but I know a lot of them who are still in that time where they don't know if they will keep them or let them grow up use these clear plastic piercing retainers. I've also heard of people using them if they are having to have any kind of medical procedure. If you are worried about an occasion, you might look into getting some of those - they would keep the hole open, but maybe not draw any attention.

Old 02-22-2023, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
But you are an older senior right? I doubt OP's peer group of Millennials would even know who that was, and they are unlikely to bat an eye at a man with an earring.
My point was ….the trend is way over.

And I’m a younger senior, by the way, lol.

Old 02-22-2023, 03:19 PM

Another thing I've noticed, OP...

I don't know where in the world you may live, but I have lived in six different regions of the United States. Areas like Virginia, Ohio, and Iowa...there were more restrictions on appearance in professional workplaces. Especially in the higher earning office work that I ended up in.

But in places further west, I've found that to not be the case. In Washington, California and Colorado, my company and other firms that I have worked for have had well paid, and high ranking office personnel and management who have visible tattoos, piercings, unnaturally colored hair, and so on. Now mind, I have not seen someone with anything extreme like facial tattoos or really severe mods. No split tongues or transdermals or anything like that. But one of our VPs is a woman with a short haircut that reveals a tribal design on the back of her neck. Visible ink on arms, ankles and feet are common. There is a man with one of those big "door knockers" through his nose. I've known lawyers and doctors out here who have full sleeves. No one bats an eye.

So how much such a thing might cause problems for you, may depend a lot on where you live and work.

Old 02-22-2023, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa6660 View Post
LOL, I had thought about mine for a long time, but yes, filed for divorce in September and got the tattoo in October. I thought long and hard about a subject I would want on me, looked at examples of colors fading, and had followed my artist for several years. I've also been 125 pounds and I've been 250 pounds, so I have my share of flabby skin in places and it gave me a good idea of what parts of my body stayed looking the same and what didn't. (I settled on my upper arm.)

Honestly, I rarely think about it as I've never been one that wears sleeveless shirts. The only thing I am having trouble with now is all the see through sleeves on the dresses I am looking at to get married in. I'm 43 - I don't care if anyone knows I have a tattoo of a flower on my arm - I just don't want it to stand out if that makes sense.

Once something becomes mainstream, is it still desirable anymore?

OP - We don't let students in our program have visible tattoos or wear piercings (except for 1 or 2 in the lobe I think) when they are out in public schools. Some students take them out, but I know a lot of them who are still in that time where they don't know if they will keep them or let them grow up use these clear plastic piercing retainers. I've also heard of people using them if they are having to have any kind of medical procedure. If you are worried about an occasion, you might look into getting some of those - they would keep the hole open, but maybe not draw any attention.
I’ve heard there are still some companies that do not allow visible tattoos. UPS, specifically.

My sons are all Army veterans..Delta, Blackhawk mechanic, and Green Beret, all Rangers. No tattoos for them, but my two grandsons are Rangers now and they have tattoos for miles.

Old 02-22-2023, 03:24 PM

Quote:
My point was ….the trend is way over.

And I’m a younger senior, by the way, lol.
I don't recall the OP asking us if pierced ears for men are still considered to be fashionable, or if they ever were.

To your point, some people may like this look on him and some won't. Which is going to be the case about any possible fashion choice that anyone might make. I don't know anyone who sets out each day thinking, "I have to find a way that every person I encounter will approve of my appearance"...how would one even do that, and why would one bother? Aesthetic taste is about as subjective as it gets!

Now I could see the sense in him pausing a moment to think of anyone whose opinion really matters to him, and what they might think, and if any disapproval they may express will really hurt him enough to change his mind. But that aside...why not just do what you want? Isn't that better than trying to please everyone, since nobody can?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology