Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2023, 02:19 PM

14,953 posts, read 9,790,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm curious if your wife takes or ever took HRT.

Also, it's not that simple. Metabolism/insulin resistance plays a huge role.
Nope... never took HRT. Her friends (all past menopause) are mostly in good weight, although one gal is a typical yo-yo of losing and gaining weight.

Old 07-19-2023, 02:27 PM

Well all I can say is excessive weight is unattractive as all-get-out and is controllable. If you're a fatty, that's on you. If you're happy fat, then great!

Old 07-19-2023, 02:32 PM

10,981 posts, read 6,852,461 times
I guess you never heard of guys who prefer morbidly obese women. Oprah show many years ago, and other shows regarding the subject.

And, excessive weight is not always controllable. Genetics, hormones and other factors can preclude any kind of weight loss, especially significant weight loss.

Yes, I'm certain you've never watched Oprah.

Old 07-19-2023, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I guess you never heard of guys who prefer morbidly obese women. Oprah show many years ago, and other shows regarding the subject.

And, excessive weight is not always controllable. Genetics, hormones and other factors can preclude any kind of weight loss, especially significant weight loss.

Yes, I'm certain you've never watched Oprah.
4% of men and 1% of women indicated a preference for an “obese” body size in opposite gender. That's a pretty low percentage spread across the population.

Weight is a matter of physics. It's absolutely controllable. You're manufacturing excuses. Q.)Can you gain weight without eating calories?
A.)There is no research to support the concept that not eating enough (or severe calorie restriction) can cause you to gain weight. Time and time again research has shown us that when we eat fewer calories than what we burn, we lose weight

https://www.formhealth.co/blog/not-e...0lose%20weight.

Old 07-19-2023, 02:50 PM

21,881 posts, read 12,936,608 times
It's interesting that your wife never took HRT. I've actually conducted an informal survey of women I know, and the ones who have remained thin also never took it. I had to for debilitating hot flashes and erroneously believed it would help me stay thin. Wrong!

I'm not a "fatty," as you so crudely put it, but I am about 20 pounds overweight since menopause after a lifetime of being naturally thin, and that's pretty common from what I hear. Of course if one barely eats anything or essentially stops eating and never eats normally again, one will lose weight and maintain it, but that's not realistic, sustainable, or healthy and is generally known as "an eating disorder."

I used to see heavier older women, judge and blame them, and swear I'd never be like them. Karma's a *****!

Old 07-19-2023, 03:57 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
On this point, I know that men are painfully aware and wounded that some women make the same type of choices. Which if this thread was going to accomplish anything, it might be in acknowledging that men and women often get hurt and end up a little disillusioned, even if in different ways, and still our chance at happiness might be in accepting this and maybe even bonding over it.

Nobody seems to reach drinking age without having someone to drink over.
I dunno about that. I reached drinking age at 18, but I"d never had a date!

Old 07-19-2023, 04:51 PM

Quote:
It's interesting that your wife never took HRT. I've actually conducted an informal survey of women I know, and the ones who have remained thin also never took it. I had to for debilitating hot flashes and erroneously believed it would help me stay thin. Wrong!

I'm not a "fatty," as you so crudely put it, but I am about 20 pounds overweight since menopause after a lifetime of being naturally thin, and that's pretty common from what I hear. Of course if one barely eats anything or essentially stops eating and never eats normally again, one will lose weight and maintain it, but that's not realistic, sustainable, or healthy and is generally known as "an eating disorder."

I used to see heavier older women, judge and blame them, and swear I'd never be like them. Karma's a *****!
and Karma watches what she eats. Reality is the real bitc*h.

Unattractiveness/attractiveness of women is on a spectrum. As you age, looks become less important , but obesity is clearly unattractive because it can be indicative of health issues, sloth-ness, lack of control, debilitating and keep "us" from "living'. My son (one of them) is a paramedic... the single most difficult component to his job is the obesity of the patient.

I'm overweight with a BMI of 28. According to my MD, for my age/height it's considered in the 'healthy' spectrum. I'd like to lose some, but I happy fat. A woman who is a bit over weight is not unattractive, but an obese woman is.

Last edited by Dave_n_Tenn; 07-19-2023 at 05:10 PM..

Old 07-19-2023, 05:43 PM

595 posts, read 264,001 times
Quote:
You probably don't understand how difficult, to the point of near-impossibility, it is for post-menopausal women to lose weight. I didn't, either, and was quite "judgy" about it -- until I became one!
Thank you. It is taking for-freaking-EVER to lose the 25 pounds I gained when I had some health problems. Judgy people can shut their yaps, especially judgy men who have ZERO understanding of women's bodies.

Old 07-19-2023, 08:16 PM

If obese women and men yaps had less food going into them, they'd lose weight. That's a fact. It's actual science and I posted the links. Science isn't judgy, science deniers have to be.

Old 07-20-2023, 10:15 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The issue with that is that most women, even the less attractive ones, aren't going to feel grateful that they were anyone's second (or third or fourth) choice. That does a number on your self esteem.
Yup. Nothing like being viewed as a "leftover' to boost one's self-image.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology