Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 08:00 PM

22,062 posts, read 13,086,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Great post.

I'm not sure that I have ever felt lonely. I am completely comfortable being by myself - I can eat out alone, see a movie alone, even travel alone, and be perfectly content. That's not to say that I don't enjoy company, I definitely do. But "being lonely" is just not in my makeup.
"Being alone" is not the same as "being lonely"; how's that for original? If you have close, meaningful, satisfying relationships, then you're probably not lonely, even if you're alone.

If you don't, you probably are, even if you aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2023, 08:25 AM

5,475 posts, read 8,208,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"Being alone" is not the same as "being lonely"; how's that for original? If you have close, meaningful, satisfying relationships, then you're probably not lonely, even if you're alone.

If you don't, you probably are, even if you aren't.
I love being alone so I live that way. I have no "close, meaningful, satisfying relationships" because I don't want any.

I am not lonely. I am happy.

Old 03-28-2023, 09:15 AM

35,133 posts, read 31,431,958 times
Is it overused? Probably, but there's truth in it. If you don't love yourself, you're not going to work in your own best interests.

Old 03-28-2023, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Is it overused? Probably, but there's truth in it. If you don't love yourself, you're not going to work in your own best interests.
More pop-psychology b.s. made up out of thin air.

Old 03-28-2023, 09:49 AM

22,062 posts, read 13,086,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I love being alone so I live that way. I have no "close, meaningful, satisfying relationships" because I don't want any.

I am not lonely. I am happy.
No family? No friends? No acquaintances? You may be that rare person who has no need of other humans, but most of us (even the most extreme introvert) aren't that person.

Old 03-28-2023, 09:59 AM

11,089 posts, read 6,953,574 times
Quote:
Quote:
More pop-psychology b.s. made up out of thin air.
Exactly why is that "pop" psychology? It's common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
No family? No friends? No acquaintances? You may be that rare person who has no need of other humans, but most of us (even the most extreme introvert) aren't that person.

Exactly right.

Old 03-28-2023, 10:42 AM

11,816 posts, read 12,066,162 times
Quote:
And to add, if you don't love yourself, how will anyone else? There are a lot of unhappy and unsatisfied people in the world who are looking outward and to burden others with fixing them or making them happy. Being happy and loving yourself should never be conditional on other people.

Old 03-28-2023, 10:56 AM

How do you know if you love yourself? I don't know if I do or not. Is there a test I can take?

Old 03-28-2023, 11:24 AM

15,897 posts, read 6,366,137 times
I just ran across an applicable quote:

“Paradoxically, the ability to be alone is the condition for the ability to love.”

― Erich Fromm, The Art of Loving

Maybe that book might be worth a listen.

Old 03-28-2023, 11:30 AM

29,764 posts, read 34,480,082 times
Quote:
How do you know if you love yourself? I don't know if I do or not. Is there a test I can take?
Pathrunner's interpretation upthread was very good:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I think a better phrase is "take good care of yourself in every way: eating, sleeping, exercising, hygiene", etc. That is loving one's self without being "told" to love one's self.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology