Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2023, 02:07 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times

Advertisements

Depends on the disorder/disease. There are plenty of heritable disabilities that are not particularly disabling in a developed country, like dwarfism and deafness, and aren't painful. If it's a condition that will cause suffering, though, I do think the potential parents should refrain from reproducing.

I think everyone should do generic counseling prior to becoming pregnant, or if surprised with a pregnancy as early as possible in the pregnancy, to prepare for all eventualities and to make informed decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2023, 04:17 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
I believe it is morally wrong to procreate if a couple knows there is a high probability the child will be born with genetic disorders. But then again, I believe it is morally wrong to procreate, period. In reality, all procreation creates suffering, unless that child is born into great wealth and privilege. Even then, there is the chance of horrific pain from disease, accidents, etc.

Old 04-05-2023, 06:59 PM

9,137 posts, read 6,191,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
Here's a real situation that I'm familiar with.

My friend's husband is blind and he has a daughter from a previous marriage to a woman who is partially blind. They apparently have conditions (I'm not sure what the condition is) that cause them to be blind, but it can also be passed down to their children.

Well, their 21 year old daughter is now starting to go blind.

Was it morally wrong for them to have had children knowing that their condition could be passed down to their child?

You are assuming that being blind means having a terrible life. You are exhibiting a typical prejudice exhibited by sighted people.

"Most sighted people are terrified of blindness.

In one recent survey, a sample of Americans rated going blind as a worse fate than losing memory, speech, hearing, or a limb. In another, a majority of respondents believed that going blind leads to a loss of independence.

"Blindness is one of the most feared disabilities of anything, because I think people feel like it takes vision to do most things," CCB executive director Julie Deden, who's been blind since birth, told INSIDER. "But really, once people begin using their other senses, they realize you can easily do things without being able to see."

It's true: Throughout the six- to nine-month program, ITP students learn to cook meals for 60, go shopping, read braille, use smartphones and computers, handle power tools, navigate public transit, and travel streets safely — all while living on site with fellow students. "

https://www.insider.com/how-blind-pe...y-tasks-2017-2

Sounds like these people have very fulfilling lives.

Old 04-05-2023, 08:52 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I believe it is morally wrong to procreate if a couple knows there is a high probability the child will be born with genetic disorders. But then again, I believe it is morally wrong to procreate, period. In reality, all procreation creates suffering, unless that child is born into great wealth and privilege. Even then, there is the chance of horrific pain from disease, accidents, etc.
You believe it's morally wrong to have children?

Wow. I can't disagree more. Children are a gift, life is a joy, and humanity is precious.

Old 04-06-2023, 06:40 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
You are assuming that being blind means having a terrible life. You are exhibiting a typical prejudice exhibited by sighted people.

"Most sighted people are terrified of blindness.

In one recent survey, a sample of Americans rated going blind as a worse fate than losing memory, speech, hearing, or a limb. In another, a majority of respondents believed that going blind leads to a loss of independence.

"Blindness is one of the most feared disabilities of anything, because I think people feel like it takes vision to do most things," CCB executive director Julie Deden, who's been blind since birth, told INSIDER. "But really, once people begin using their other senses, they realize you can easily do things without being able to see."

It's true: Throughout the six- to nine-month program, ITP students learn to cook meals for 60, go shopping, read braille, use smartphones and computers, handle power tools, navigate public transit, and travel streets safely — all while living on site with fellow students. "

https://www.insider.com/how-blind-pe...y-tasks-2017-2

Sounds like these people have very fulfilling lives.
By that argument, why should people try so hard to preserve their sight? Wouldn't you want to know if you were entering a room with a high power laser in use?

If the answer to the last question above is "yes", then you believe sight is important and simply won't admit it.

Old 04-06-2023, 07:28 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post

Was it morally wrong for them to have had children knowing that their condition could be passed down to their child?
I think it's quite a First World Problem to be worried about, given the example of blindness as the genetic condition. I'll wager there are plenty of blind people who would be insulted by that assertion that they'd be better off never having been born. Who are we to judge the worth of someone's life?

Someone mentioned cystic fibrosis, but there are plenty of people with that condition today, including the son of former NFL QB Boomer Esiason, who are leading fulfilling lives. Gunnar Esiason uses his position as the son of a former pro athlete and current media personality to advocate for patients' rights and drug development for rare diseases.

What kind of society would we be, if we pressured families to have abortions if we thought their kids might not turn out so great: Oh, your kid's blind? Didn't you get tested in the first trimester? What a burden you've placed on yourselves, and now you want assistance and accommodation?

Old 04-06-2023, 10:25 AM

1,400 posts, read 766,854 times
I wish you didn't use the word procreate in the thread title. I can see this man saying to his wife, "Darling, would you like us to procreate?" Having children seems somehow more human.

Old 04-06-2023, 10:34 AM

1,462 posts, read 660,200 times
IMO, to deliberately bring a child into the world who stands a high probability of inheriting blindness ( especially considering the daughter had sight and is now going blind in her 20's) is cruel. And yes exceptional people with blindness are able to lead gratifying lives. Put the emphasis on exceptional.

That's not really the issue here. Stuff happens without it being under our control and then we have to deal. But to deliberately put your child in a situation (i.e.without sight) to get through life is extremely ill advised at best. In other words, if you can avoid tragedy befalling your offspring and you don't, what kind of a parent are you? Again, IMO, your desire to have a child at all costs should not override your desire for your child to have at least a viable start in life with all of their critical senses intact.

Old 04-06-2023, 10:46 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,444,309 times
In Denmark, nearly all babies with Down Syndrome are voluntarily aborted. Is that good? Apparently most people in Denmark think it is. What do people with Down Syndrome think?

Old 04-06-2023, 12:05 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I think it's quite a First World Problem to be worried about, given the example of blindness as the genetic condition. I'll wager there are plenty of blind people who would be insulted by that assertion that they'd be better off never having been born. Who are we to judge the worth of someone's life?
I think there's a difference between being born blind or going blind, and making the most of it, versus choosing to conceive a kid you know will go blind. To me that's a lot like choosing to blind someone, which is obviously wrong.

Quote:
Someone mentioned cystic fibrosis, but there are plenty of people with that condition today, including the son of former NFL QB Boomer Esiason, who are leading fulfilling lives.
Isn't the life expectancy for a cystic fibrosis patient to manages to survive childhood something like 40?

Again, if you get a surprise diagnosis, of course you're going to do your best to live a fulfilling life in the time you have with the condition you have. But deliberately choosing to curtail your kid's life and opportunities by deciding to conceive a child with the condition is something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology