Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2023, 04:48 PM

200 posts, read 109,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
If you struggle with reading and retaining, there are so many excellent podcasts and audiobooks out there, listen to those.

If you like History, start with Dan Carlin podcasts.

If you want to learn more of science then check out audiobooks by Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Hawking and others.

etc
For some reason I find it very difficult to listen to audiobooks. I feel very bored. I perceive live speech well, but when it's an audiobook, it's very hard to listen to it. Podcasts are easier, but it's still like you have to concentrate a lot. But sometimes I still listen to lectures on YouTube or podcasts. If driving in the car, the audio information is very well perceived. Sometimes I open a lecture and color pictures. Then the information is also well perceived. But when you're just sitting in a chair, it's very hard to listen to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2023, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
You raise valid questions...quite inconvenient questions for the poster to whom you were responding. See, you were supposed to skip ahead to the Gospels and ignore the problematic passages of the Old Testament!

(I'm an atheist, if you can't tell)
These were not questions for the poster, they were more rhetorical questions. And I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. I had heard that it is okay not to read the Old Testament, but I thought I wouldn't understand the New Testament without it. I planned to read the Gospel too, but it seemed to me like reading a chapter in the middle of a novel. I wanted to start from the beginning and not miss any wisdom.

Old 04-07-2023, 08:58 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
It depends on what you mean by "smarter." Reading, especially if you're reading material worth the effort, will grow your vocabulary and background knowledge, which will make it easier for you to understand new information. If you are reading in a thoughtful, analytical way, you will also develop your reasoning skills and ability to make connections. Reading can also spark creativity. Is it going to raise your baseline IQ? Probably not. Can it make you more knowledgeable? Definitely. A better thinker? Sure, if you put in the effort.

Old 04-08-2023, 04:47 AM
Status: "I have read 26 books this year!!!" (set 2 days ago)

449 posts, read 197,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitori View Post
For some reason I find it very difficult to listen to audiobooks. I feel very bored. I perceive live speech well, but when it's an audiobook, it's very hard to listen to it. Podcasts are easier, but it's still like you have to concentrate a lot. But sometimes I still listen to lectures on YouTube or podcasts. If driving in the car, the audio information is very well perceived. Sometimes I open a lecture and color pictures. Then the information is also well perceived. But when you're just sitting in a chair, it's very hard to listen to it.

Hitori, I interpret from your posts on this topic that you have verbal intelligence. I noticed that you mentioned wisdom. Here's some suggestions for books to cultivate wisdom: read books authored by Studs Terkel. He interviewed everyday people for their perspective. Reading their anecdotes helps me gain a deeper understanding of how to navigate through life. Furthermore, I encourage you to read more books on the subject of oral history. Oral history is the literary genre of personal interviews. Empathy composes a large part of wisdom. If you're not willing to understand the perspective of another person, can you really be wise?

I looked at your profile and you present yourself as a woman. I urge you to read books by women to learn from their mistakes and get inspired to pursue a life of authenticity.

I am the same way about audiobooks. I would choose the written word over spoken word, hands down.

Old 04-08-2023, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
It depends on what you mean by "smarter." Reading, especially if you're reading material worth the effort, will grow your vocabulary and background knowledge, which will make it easier for you to understand new information. If you are reading in a thoughtful, analytical way, you will also develop your reasoning skills and ability to make connections. Reading can also spark creativity. Is it going to raise your baseline IQ? Probably not. Can it make you more knowledgeable? Definitely. A better thinker? Sure, if you put in the effort.
I once saw the movie "Sheep Without a Shepherd". It was about a man who watched movies a lot and became very smart. And he didn't read.

Old 04-08-2023, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvibrant View Post
Hitori, I interpret from your posts on this topic that you have verbal intelligence. I noticed that you mentioned wisdom. Here's some suggestions for books to cultivate wisdom: read books authored by Studs Terkel. He interviewed everyday people for their perspective. Reading their anecdotes helps me gain a deeper understanding of how to navigate through life. Furthermore, I encourage you to read more books on the subject of oral history. Oral history is the literary genre of personal interviews. Empathy composes a large part of wisdom. If you're not willing to understand the perspective of another person, can you really be wise?

I looked at your profile and you present yourself as a woman. I urge you to read books by women to learn from their mistakes and get inspired to pursue a life of authenticity.

I am the same way about audiobooks. I would choose the written word over spoken word, hands down.
It's always interesting to me what people think when they look at me. Is that empathy?

I'll look for his books on the Internet.

Old 04-08-2023, 08:41 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
"Knowing" doesn't make you smart. How you apply what you "know" is what makes you smart.

For example: knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad.

Old 04-08-2023, 08:44 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitori View Post
I read that I would. But I read and read, and it's like I'm not getting smarter.

One day I met a law enforcement officer on the Internet. He looked at picture of me and gave me almost 100% of my characteristic, even though he had never seen me in person. It was as if he could tell from the photo what kind of person I was. He said he had a lot of experience. He didn't look like a well-read man.
What kind of material are you reading? You can learn a tremendous amount by choosing to spend some of your leisure time reading about history, archaeology, philosophy, geography, international relations, biographies of famous and not-so-famous people, or learning foreign languages. Getting rid of my TV and spending the time reading instead was one of the best things I ever did!

I'm surprised that LE officer was accurate in his assessment. Maybe experience doing that does make a difference. A number of people throughout my life have thought they'd sized me up, but they were way off. It's not that simple. But you're taking his ability to read your face as a sign of intelligence? It's a skill. But LE officers are known for not being the brightest bulbs in the room.

Old 04-08-2023, 10:09 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
I think you need to develop street smarts, not "wisdom".

You seem to be very gullible, believing everything anybody tells you.
Lose the Pollyanna, and get more cynical. Question things. Reason them out.

For instance, the guy trying to sell you the language course said a loan wouldn't be your money, but the bank's money. You didn't see the problem there, that you would have to repay the money, with interest. How nice your friend was able to help.

Did you learn from that? Do you understand how he was misleading you? Can you apply that to other situations?

I think that's something you really need to work on.

Here's a website with tips that look helpful
https://edlatimore.com/how-to-be-str...nd%20marketing

Old 04-08-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What kind of material are you reading? You can learn a tremendous amount by choosing to spend some of your leisure time reading about history, archaeology, philosophy, geography, international relations, biographies of famous and not-so-famous people, or learning foreign languages. Getting rid of my TV and spending the time reading instead was one of the best things I ever did!

I'm surprised that LE officer was accurate in his assessment. Maybe experience doing that does make a difference. A number of people throughout my life have thought they'd sized me up, but they were way off. It's not that simple. But you're taking his ability to read your face as a sign of intelligence? It's a skill. But LE officers are known for not being the brightest bulbs in the room.
Right now I'm reading "Crime and Punishment," but I don't like it. I don't see anything so wise or phenomenal or profound in it. I think I'll give it up. And I also started reading Les Miserables. I like it for the moment.

I haven't watched TV since school. But I watch a lot of stuff on the Internet. I speak German and I know a little hiragana.

When I look at a person, the only thing I can say about him is whether I like him or not. But it is difficult for me to understand what kind of person he is. I think only intelligent and perceptive people can do that. Sometimes I can feel if a person likes me or not. But I can almost never figure out the reason why. Once I was about to be attacked by a homeless man. I noticed it by his look and gait. I mentally prepared for the attack, but a big man was walking by, who out of the corner of his eye noticed that he was starting to attack, and turned around. The homeless man got scared and ran away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology