Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2023, 08:02 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,654,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It's kind of arrogant, or perhaps it's weakness, to dismiss information just because one doesn't like it. You can tell because they get emotionally upset, often quite angry, when their viewpoints are challenged.

I like to look at all the information available then form a conclusion. Sometimes the areas are still too gray to form a firm opinion.

It is hard to get along with closed minded people who refuse to think and engage.

As far as those who blatantly lie about themselves, they are just hoping to slide by and that no one will check their credentials. If the proof is irrefutable and they keep lying, they might be narcissists or have some type of mental issue.
I agree, and people can also do their own research on various issues, usually that information is out there. But a lot of people will only research the sources that they agree with, instead of doing a reasonable balance research before coming up with a conclusion. But even still, if a person mind is already made up, then all the research in the world won't matter.

Old 04-08-2023, 08:03 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,682,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
I notice this quite a bit, and especially with older people. I think they lived during a period when you could easily BS your way through life and it was hard to verify facts in a pinch. But today, so much information is easily accessible and can be found in 2 minutes! Even when corrected with links and evidence proving the contrary, so many of them double down instead of taking a step back, re-evaluating their previously held views, and admitting ignorance. Why is there not more shame and embarrassment from this behavior?
In my experience I find it exactly the opposite. It is younger people that believe everything they see on Tik Tok, Twitter, and Facebook.

My wife even fell for one on Social Media a few days ago. We were about to get a blizzard the next day. My wife was freaked out because she said we were going to get 17 inches of snow. I asked her where she seen that. She showed me and I laughed because it was on Twitter/Tik Tok not sure what one. Then I pulled up the real forecast and it was for 7 inches. Someone found a old forecast and posted it as new and the social media watchers believed it like all the other fake news on there.

Old 04-08-2023, 08:45 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,386,537 times
Confirmation bias. You're more likely to believe something that aligns with stuff you already believe. And if you Google for the "truth", you'll discard any results that disagree with yours.

It's not just old people, that's probably one of YOUR biases. In fact, the people you think are foolish may be right, and you're wrong.

Old 04-08-2023, 09:32 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I agree, and people can also do their own research on various issues, usually that information is out there. But a lot of people will only research the sources that they agree with, instead of doing a reasonable balance research before coming up with a conclusion. But even still, if a person mind is already made up, then all the research in the world won't matter.
Why bother to research at all in that case? They already know it will confirm their particular bias.

It is so important to at least keep our minds open, even just a crack, so we can keep learning. Sometimes something we've believed for a long time turns out to be wrong or simply something we might want to revisit and question if we can toss off the personal ego/bias to consider a different angle. It's a huge part of personal growth, maturity, enlightenment to keep the mind open enough to consider different possibilities.

Old 04-08-2023, 09:35 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,654,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Why bother to research at all in that case? They already know it will confirm their particular bias.

It is so important to at least keep our minds open, even just a crack, so we can keep learning. Sometimes something we've believed for a long time turns out to be wrong or simply something we might want to revisit and question if we can toss off the personal ego/bias to consider a different angle. It's a huge part of personal growth, maturity, enlightenment to keep the mind open enough to consider different possibilities.

Old 04-08-2023, 04:20 PM

1,702 posts, read 782,921 times
Quote:
I'm referring to anything that has credible (peer reviewed) research and data behind it to back it.

Claim: The Earth is flat.
Rebuttal: Well, no, and here is all the scientific evidence (physics, photographic, etc.) that refutes this.

Or as another "everyday" example, those who lie about having worked somewhere, went to school somewhere, or served in the military somewhere. BS artists have always lived amongst us, spouting off mythical stories about something they once participated in. And once upon a time, it might have been difficult to ascertain some of this information. But with electronic record keeping and access to information at our fingertips, it's much easier to verify this type of information. Yet, we still find lots of people telling bold faced lies about these things.

J.R. Majewski in Ohio Keeps Lying About Military Record

George Santos' many fabrications

What Flat Earthers Believe and Why
The fact that you used 2 out 3 examples with Republican politicians makes me think that your underlying message is really about politics, not about facts. You are biased for a particular political side of the isle. You could have made your point by including examples of both parties lying (because they do) or not made your examples political at all.

I don’t think many people trust the ones who are supposed to be “verifiers”. Fox News (and those like them) is right wing, nationalist propaganda. CNN (and the like) is corporate multi-national, globalist propaganda. They ALL claim to have the “facts” and that the other side is using “disinformation”.

Who’s actually winning the war in Ukraine? If I read CNN or WAPO, I’d think Russia was losing…but are they really? Russia doesn’t seem to think they are losing, so what are the facts? And who, ultimately, should anyone trust to know that there isn’t an agenda attached to claimed “facts”?

Last edited by SerlingHitchcockJPeele; 04-08-2023 at 04:36 PM..

Old 04-08-2023, 05:13 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
I'm referring to anything that has credible (peer reviewed) research and data behind it to back it.

Claim: The Earth is flat.
Rebuttal: Well, no, and here is all the scientific evidence (physics, photographic, etc.) that refutes this.

Or as another "everyday" example, those who lie about having worked somewhere, went to school somewhere, or served in the military somewhere. BS artists have always lived amongst us, spouting off mythical stories about something they once participated in. And once upon a time, it might have been difficult to ascertain some of this information. But with electronic record keeping and access to information at our fingertips, it's much easier to verify this type of information. Yet, we still find lots of people telling bold faced lies about these things.

J.R. Majewski in Ohio Keeps Lying About Military Record

George Santos' many fabrications

What Flat Earthers Believe and Why
I think you know well this belongs on the politics forum.

Joe Biden has lied about a lot of things he supposedly did in the past.

It comes with the territory.

Old 04-08-2023, 05:34 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,396 times
Well, when the supposed trusted agents begin increasingly lying to the masses, it becomes more and more difficult to ascertain the truth.

Just some government agencies that have been caught in verifiable lies, recently.

FBI
DEA
ATF
CDC
FDA
SEC
USPS
DOD
DOJ
Members of both House and Senate
US Presidents. Not to drag this into politics but about 80% of the time Biden starts in on one of his "stories" It's gonna be a whopper.

Old 04-08-2023, 10:19 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Well, when the supposed trusted agents begin increasingly lying to the masses, it becomes more and more difficult to ascertain the truth.

Just some government agencies that have been caught in verifiable lies, recently.

FBI
DEA
ATF
CDC
FDA
SEC
USPS
DOD
DOJ
Members of both House and Senate
US Presidents. Not to drag this into politics but about 80% of the time Biden starts in on one of his "stories" It's gonna be a whopper.
I agree with this.

There is so much false information and lies coming out of the U.S. government that you would have to spend most of your waking hours to keep up with it.

I stopped keeping track a long time ago. Better to tune it out and just live your life.

Old 04-08-2023, 11:06 PM

986 posts, read 542,486 times
I don't know. Why do many devoutly religious people not accept the factual validity of radio carbon dating. And I think if you look at human psychology or maybe read a Dale Carnegie book you'll find that calling people out on their mistakes only causes them to dig their heels in and stand their ground more. It's an ego thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology