Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2023, 10:02 AM

48,581 posts, read 35,035,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
Specific political affiliations aside, I think you bring up an interesting point here. I think this is spot on. But some might say these studies are "biased" against them, too.

So, since everyone allegedly has an angle and a target in their sites whenever they publish research, how do you convince people that they may be suffering mentally and emotionally from some of these circumstances? They probably won't believe you anyhow, and call it a hatchet job from the other side.
I don't. With age comes the wisdom of knowing what battles are winnable.

I try to gather info from all sides, and come to what I consider as close to "fact" as I can given time, interest and access to info.

I've changed my mind on stuff. I love stuff like the Freakonomics media (books, podcasts), Malcolm Gladwell and things in that genre. To me, stuff like that is as close as you can get to data driven discussions that do not seem to have a bias or agenda.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-11-2023, 10:26 AM

1,076 posts, read 569,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I don't. With age comes the wisdom of knowing what battles are winnable.

I try to gather info from all sides, and come to what I consider as close to "fact" as I can given time, interest and access to info.

I've changed my mind on stuff. I love stuff like the Freakonomics media (books, podcasts), Malcolm Gladwell and things in that genre. To me, stuff like that is as close as you can get to data driven discussions that do not seem to have a bias or agenda.
One after my own heart. You should check out Michael Lewis' works if you haven't already. He writes a lot about those who went rogue or against conventional thinking in their respective fields.

I, too, need to be more mindful of the serenity prayer at times.

Quote:
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Old 05-11-2023, 10:46 AM

35,320 posts, read 17,217,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Quote:
I don't know who called who a name specifically, but these are real terms that describe real people. So, I don't know what you're going on about, but if it has triggered you, then maybe it's time to look deep at within yourself. I don't know anyone who'd get triggered by a descriptive word unless it's something they're deeply insecure about themselves and projecting. I'm not offended by the term 'racist' because I'm not a racist. But I know for a fact that racists exist and are all around us.
You missed his point. People call names when people don't agree with their point of view or their particular source of news. They are arrogant, bigoted, intolerant and often are believing fake information without realizing it. Perfect examples of what you discuss in your OP.
Trouble is that this name calling shuts down rational discussion.

Old 05-11-2023, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I'll concede that point to you. It shouldn't be anyone's default response to label someone as something merely if they disagree over a point.

However, if someone does say something that is categorically racist, homophobic, xenophobic, misogynistic, etc., shall they be protected from the assignment of an appropriate label? If you are bold enough to say the controversial thing, shouldn't you be bold enough to wear the label that comes with it?

Old 05-11-2023, 11:25 AM
bu2

24,126 posts, read 14,966,811 times
Quote:
I'll concede that point to you. It shouldn't be anyone's default response to label someone as something merely if they disagree over a point.

However, if someone does say something that is categorically racist, homophobic, xenophobic, misogynistic, etc., shall they be protected from the assignment of an appropriate label? If you are bold enough to say the controversial thing, shouldn't you be bold enough to wear the label that comes with it?
I read someone saying that racist has changed meaning. It now usually means, "I hate you and don't want to hear what you have to say."

Labeling people is a form of bigotry. And its rude.

People are far more than their opinions on any one matter.

Old 05-11-2023, 11:27 AM

19,760 posts, read 12,323,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Some people believe all white people are racist, they will argue the point in a way that they view as rational. Books have been written about it.

You don't have to say anything racist, or anything at all about racial issues and you are called racist just for existing as a white person.

It isn't "racist" that shuts down the discussion. It is when the accused argues that they are not racist the other name calling phrase comes into play -"white fragility". If you argue that, then they say you are proving your fragility by defending yourself.

Old 05-11-2023, 11:28 AM

Quote:
One after my own heart. You should check out Michael Lewis' works if you haven't already. He writes a lot about those who went rogue or against conventional thinking in their respective fields.

I, too, need to be more mindful of the serenity prayer at times.
Love him!!!

Old 05-11-2023, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Some people believe all white people are racist, they will argue the point in a way that they view as rational. Books have been written about it.

You don't have to say anything racist, or anything at all about racial issues and you are called racist just for existing as a white person.

It isn't "racist" that shuts down the discussion. It is when the accused argues that they are not racist the other name calling phrase comes into play -"white fragility". If you argue that, then they say you are proving your fragility by defending yourself.

Not racist, but racism is present in all people. It helps to be cognizant of that, both personally and as a society.

I'm aware of racist thoughts/assumptions in myself, and no one who knows me would consider me racist. I try to be aware of knee jerk mental assumptions when they occur.

But I come at the issue from a relatively unique perspective (I think), I come from where whites are the minority, and they are subjected to a lot of racism by the other predominant races. Also, joking about stereotypes is SUPER common and acceptable. Example: Chinese are known as "pake", which is cheap/frugal, and the subject of many jokes, not behind the back, just in general conversation. to the point where a Chinese friend told me "you're more pake then me, and I'm Chinese!!!!" There were jokes/stereotypes about ALL the nationalities and all part of conversations. It's kinda weird now that I can't do that, or ask someone "what" they are. That was standard too, "what are you?" "I'm Chinese/filipino/samoan/hawaiian."

Old 05-11-2023, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I read someone saying that racist has changed meaning. It now usually means, "I hate you and don't want to hear what you have to say."

Labeling people is a form of bigotry. And its rude.

People are far more than their opinions on any one matter.
Sorry mate, but that sounds like the logical conceptualization of an 11 year old. Maybe you shouldn't be taking those people seriously.

If you're being labeled a 'racist' once or twice and once in long while, heck it's bound to happen at some point by someone with an extreme viewpoint or perception of reality. Let's remember there are crazies and radical minded people on either side of any issue. Even about something as innocuous as bicycling. Yeah, I've encountered heated debates about bike riding!

If you're being labeled 'racist' a lot by several different people, well, I hate to break it to you, but you might be a racist or you enjoy saying racist things.

Also, this is a valid point, too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Not racist, but racism is present in all people. It helps to be cognizant of that, both personally and as a society.

I'm aware of racist thoughts/assumptions in myself, and no one who knows me would consider me racist. I try to be aware of knee jerk mental assumptions when they occur.

Old 05-11-2023, 11:52 AM

I think another potentially useful data point in this examination is how you are generally perceived by others.

Are you well respected in your field, amongst your peers, amongst your family, or amongst your colleagues?

Do people often seek your guidance on important matters?

Do you have a good amount of close, loyal friends?

Do a lot of people trust you and your judgment?

OR

Are you considered the "crazy racist uncle" that every family seems to have?

Are you generally antagonistic in nature?

Do you spend the vast majority of your time alone rather than with others?

Do you generally struggle with interpersonal relationships IRL?

Do people frequently dismiss the information or opinions that you bring to them?

There is/was a poster who seemed to brag about how unliked they were IRL, as if this were a badge of honor for them. But for me, it painted a picture of someone lonely, unlikable, and probably untrustworthy. And sure enough, I have disagreed with many, if not most, of his points. In theory, I would generally be more critical of any premise or view that he disseminated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.