Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2023, 07:41 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times

Advertisements

It seems like people have very different things they do to unwind. Some find pulling weeds relaxing. Some find fishing relaxing. Others - fixing things helps them let go. For me it is writing stories and being in a boat (but I have to be moving, just floating around makes me annoyed after a while). I used to like to fix clocks, but now it makes me angry. My wife goes out and sit with her chickens. They climb on her and peck at her fingers and just finds it very soothing to hang out with them. My daughter likes to knit to relax. I wold go bonkers trying to knit. I know a lot of people find watching televison relaxing - to me it is annoying. A friend likes to count money. He will take all of his omney out of the bank, count it and then put it back. Another friend likes puzzles (I would rather sit on burning charcoal than do a puzzle) Everyone seems to have different things. What works for you? I wonder why some things that relax one person will annoy another. What makes something relaxing or calming?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2023, 07:26 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,151,407 times
Various things for me.

I like gardening...I like playing in the dirt, and then watching stuff grow.

Playing with my dog.

Playing on my tablet

Cross stitch

Making planters and flower pots

Smoking. (LOL)

Old 04-28-2023, 09:39 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
I wish I found weeding relaxing, but it hurts my back and knees too much. Reading is and has always been my favorite thing to do to unwind. I completely immerse myself in whatever book I'm reading if it's a good one.

Old 04-28-2023, 12:08 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,151,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I wish I found weeding relaxing, but it hurts my back and knees too much. Reading is and has always been my favorite thing to do to unwind. I completely immerse myself in whatever book I'm reading if it's a good one.
I hate weeding, and the older I get, the more I dislike it. That's why I don't have flower beds anymore. Almost everything is in pots and planters.

Old 04-28-2023, 04:12 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
Swimming , sewing, drawing, painting, puzzles, watching a movie, reading, baking a pie.m

Old 04-28-2023, 04:17 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I hate weeding, and the older I get, the more I dislike it. That's why I don't have flower beds anymore. Almost everything is in pots and planters.
Oh, I have boatloads of flower beds, but I also have a garden helper.

Old 04-29-2023, 10:01 AM

19,629 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Cleaning, going to antique or vintage shops (when there are no crowds), having a nice cup of tea. But I'd love to be able to hang out with chickens, unfortunately don't have any.

Old 04-29-2023, 10:26 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It seems like people have very different things they do to unwind. Some find pulling weeds relaxing. Some find fishing relaxing. Others - fixing things helps them let go. For me it is writing stories and being in a boat (but I have to be moving, just floating around makes me annoyed after a while). I used to like to fix clocks, but now it makes me angry. My wife goes out and sit with her chickens. They climb on her and peck at her fingers and just finds it very soothing to hang out with them. My daughter likes to knit to relax. I wold go bonkers trying to knit. I know a lot of people find watching televison relaxing - to me it is annoying. A friend likes to count money. He will take all of his omney out of the bank, count it and then put it back. Another friend likes puzzles (I would rather sit on burning charcoal than do a puzzle) Everyone seems to have different things. What works for you? I wonder why some things that relax one person will annoy another. What makes something relaxing or calming?
Under stress, I need something that uses my brain but doesn’t tax it. I usually those silly match three games on my phone do a very good job of keeping my brain busy in the moment, and giving me a break from whatever it is stressing me out. I have been playing one called RoyalMatch for a while now I am up to level 4395. So I think it’s working. I had to find one that does not show me ads after every level, because I cannot deal with that. This one didn’t. They are silly, after you win a level you get a star, and after you have so many stars you get to decorate a castle. It’s dumb. But I guess you wouldn’t have to ever decorate the castle, it’s not like you’d get a choice of which thing to put in the castle you got a put all of them in to level up.

I actually think I may have started playing that when my husband got ill. But I don’t remember.

After my husband died (qualifies for stress), that Christmas I made about 12 or 13 pinecone fabric ornaments. It’s a folding fabric and pin technique. Worked great. I could concentrate on that and do one and it wasn’t so difficult that I had to like really concentrate, but I could forget about all the crap I was going through, and my brain was working on that in the background. They say here to his worst said it was for me, I couldn’t concentrate on anything to get anything done, and then I got Covid.

I don’t like hard crossword puzzles, I’d rather have simple crossword puzzles. I enjoy word searches a little, but for real honest getting my mind off something — sewing and crocheting. I do patchwork and quilting, and frankly do you wanna mind bender? I do not understand how that stuff works 3/4 of the times and one of the things that I have learned is the things that are really difficult for me to grasp are very good for my brain so I keep doing them. And eventually I do figure it out.

Old 04-29-2023, 10:37 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
Watching classic old cartoons, watching old tv shows,and reading.

Cardio exercise helps me unwind too.

Old 04-29-2023, 11:59 AM

19,629 posts, read 12,222,208 times
For some reason watching Star Trek TNG relaxes me. Doesn't matter the episode. It might be the droning background sound of the Enterprise engine and Picard's soothing voice. Even though they get into battles and clashes the general atmosphere of the show feels calm and mindful. Maybe it's an introvert thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology