Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2023, 11:10 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,132,082 times

Advertisements

It's like, you know, people get so easily annoyed at everything these days, yeah? People are just waiting to be annoyed. Yeah!

Many would completely crumble and explode if they had anything significant of difficulty, such as living during the Great Depression. So many are just fragile babies these days. And the rest of us are forced to hear about their misery, instead of them keeping it to themselves, as in our better days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2023, 12:01 PM
Status: "In the words of Steve Winwood, Roll With It!" (set 22 days ago)

296 posts, read 217,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
About the (once known as obscene) language thing as brought up by another poster ...Perhaps I AM a prude (not that I care) because, even after many years of being subjected to what was one time known as 'bad language', I STILL cringe when I hear the "f" word used so freely by parents around their kids. Or around anyone else for that matter. It's an ugly and also an aggressive word. How can anyone speak to their kids or show respect for others in that manner? But they do.

And, today's so-called 'TV comedians' cannot get through a so-called comedic routine unless it is peppered with the 'f' word and, often, pure filth. And their dimwitted audiences roll on the floor laughing.

What happened to society and plain common decency?
We should choose our words/language as if everyone has virgin ears, that have never been penetrated with four-letter words!

Old 05-23-2023, 01:12 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
I love John McWhorter
As do I!

Old 05-23-2023, 01:14 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
https://youtu.be/GxBSyx85Kp8

Usher likes to say Yeah, too.

Old 05-23-2023, 01:27 PM

1,088 posts, read 577,573 times
My co-worker does this. With her, it seems to be a form of punctuating what she said.

"We got a shipment in two weeks ago, remember? Yeah."
"We should have enough in stock for at least six months. Yeah."
"You might want to call and get a price quote. Yeah."

Loosely related, I have a friend who ends a great many sentences with "... or something."

I'd guess that people who do this are utterly aware of it.

Old 05-23-2023, 02:53 PM

2,071 posts, read 1,036,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
A friend's husband has a habit of peppering just about every sentence with ..."Does that make sense?"
Don't you love it when someone is preaching to you and they keep saying "Okay." Blah Blah Okay...yada yada yada OK ?

OMG

Old 05-23-2023, 03:07 PM

522 posts, read 342,379 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR9ClC1Vg8I

Old 05-23-2023, 04:41 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,132,082 times
If I encountered that, I'd just have fun with it. Start really piling on the "yeahs". Make the comedy unmistakable. Now, something like that might get noticed with the other person, and they might start paying attention to their speech. We don't have to get mad or be silent; just bring it up to the surface sufficiently.

Old 05-23-2023, 05:56 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,466,587 times
Interesting. I have watched every episode of Succession (some twice) and have never noticed that.

Old 05-23-2023, 06:26 PM

1,462 posts, read 657,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I don't know if this is the right place for this question, but it seems to have a psychological aspect to it---as in denigrating or patronizing.

I first noticed it about 10 years ago in Hawaii and just thought it was a Hawaiian thing. I don't hear it much in real life, but it sure is on TV.

Just finished the series "Succession" and those rich "kids" end every sentence with "yeah?"

I guess they want to make sure they are heard and understood, and more importantly: obeyed by their underlings.

Do you hear this in real life or is this just the latest trend on TV, to make the rich and famous even more hip and cool (lol)?

Or is just lazy talk? Somehow it seems more patronizing than just saying "right?" which is kind of begging for confirmation too.

It's just annoying but maybe it's here to stay---
LOVE that show! The last episode of the series is this Sunday. The acting is superb. I have most certainly noticed the use of the yeah but they do speak in a super cool coded manner. None of the siblings seem to finish a sentence when speaking to each other. Maybe to demonstrate how close they are? There are a lot of "bro" and other hipster words thrown in. They don't seem to complete a thought and speak in phrases which the other cool hipster seems to get. The older characters don't speak that way.

But in answer to your question I've never heard anyone speak that way. Could it be the speaking pattern of the super rich cool hipsters? I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology