Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2023, 03:18 PM

639 posts, read 381,057 times

Advertisements

Mod cut: Orphaned (reference to post which has been deleted).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Ok…some may do that BUT, they are still doing it for the thrill of the kill. AND proud of it if they are hanging dead animal heads.
It's not SOME. It's nearly all (pure trophy hunters aren't common at all). And yes, there is a pride in self sufficiency. I have pride in harvesting my own food, whether it be a deer, a walleye, or a squash.

It's not sadistic at all, not when compared to paying someone else doing all the dirty work and reaping the rewards, which is what 98% of people do. They have someone else raise and slaughter their meat and pay them to not have to see it.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-08-2023 at 11:09 PM..

Old 06-08-2023, 03:30 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,590,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeugh View Post
And yes, there is a pride in self sufficiency. I have pride in harvesting my own food, whether it be a deer, a walleye, or a squash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeugh View Post
It's not sadistic at all, not when compared to paying someone else doing all the dirty work and reaping the rewards, which is what 98% of people do.

Well…not nearly all hunters are living off the land, so that’s a silly point IMO. A lot of them live in the suburbs, shop at Turner’s & drive their behinds to the wilderness in a truck.

AND..ppl say that an animal head mounted on the wall is a trophy. It is sadistic to shoot an animal & display a memory of it. It’s the same thing some psychopaths do when they kill a person. They take a “trophy” to remember the kill…so, there’s that.

Old 06-08-2023, 03:34 PM

5,660 posts, read 3,167,235 times
Quote:
Ok…some may do that BUT, they are still doing it for the thrill of the kill. AND proud of it if they are hanging dead animal heads. It’s a little sadistic when you think of it as a “trophy”.
OK. People are proud of their trophies. You're not wrong. But you know all things healthy, so...so be it.

Old 06-08-2023, 03:44 PM

19,732 posts, read 20,276,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Maybe it's a cultural thing. I know a lot of hunters, and I don't find the idea odd at all. AND all the hunters I know who hunt deer use all the meat, and/or give it away to food banks and stuff.

All the other animals...well, there's good reason that those animals have a season for hunting. I'm no fan of poachers, but otherwise, conservation wise...it keeps populations in check.

I've no desire to hunt (except with a camera I guess) but if I caught a big giant bass, I might be tempted to have it mounted. Maybe.
Same. My father and most of the men on that side of my family are deer hunters and hunt on their own land every year as tradition. I was born in Wisconsin, definitely part of the culture there, and I respect that.

I've seen a few buck heads, but I've never actually walked into anyone's home that had some kind of crazy animal head trophy room, though. I don't personally know anybody like that..

Old 06-08-2023, 03:50 PM

5,660 posts, read 3,167,235 times
Quote:
Well…not nearly all hunters are living off the land, so that’s a silly point IMO. A lot of them live in the suburbs, shop at Turner’s & drive their behinds to the wilderness in a truck.

AND..ppl say that an animal head mounted on the wall is a trophy. It is sadistic to shoot an animal & display a memory of it. It’s the same thing some psychopaths do when they kill a person. They take a “trophy” to remember the kill…so, there’s that.
He didn't say he was "living off the land". He said most hunters eat what they kill. And that is true. Your average Joe takes no pride in hunting an animal just to kill and let it rot.

Old 06-08-2023, 03:54 PM

22,612 posts, read 47,726,078 times
Quote:
Well…not nearly all hunters are living off the land, so that’s a silly point IMO.
A very silly point, as you are the only one saying that.

Old 06-08-2023, 03:54 PM

13,306 posts, read 7,879,354 times
A good man, with the help of his friends, stayed with his animal friends, after he died.

https://www.songfacts.com/lyrics/rol...roo-down-sport

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 06-08-2023 at 04:16 PM..

Old 06-08-2023, 03:55 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,590,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
He didn't say he was "living off the land". He said most hunters eat what they kill. And that is true. Your average Joe takes no pride in hunting an animal just to kill and let it rot.

They also eat food from the grocery store is what I was saying. AND what they do with the dead animal has nothing to do with the thrill of the kill & why they do it…especially mounting a trophy. Ofc they have pride in killing or they wouldn’t need a trophy.

Old 06-08-2023, 03:59 PM

22,612 posts, read 47,726,078 times
Here you go again, arguing everyone to death who doesn't agree with your point of view.

Have you ever lived in an area with a lot of hunters? Do you even know any families who rely on hunting for food?

Old 06-08-2023, 04:13 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,592,374 times
25 years or so, my (late) wife and I visited out of state friends, which required an overnight stay at their newly built home. He was a real big game hunter, including several African safaris. The house was huge and was built to display his trophies. I quit counting at 100, and he had more stored off site. You name it, he had it. He did say that whatever they killed in Africa did not go to waste, as the meat was given to the locals. He also said his collection was valued at a cool Million dollars.

I'm not a hunter, and I'm not opposed to hunting, but I did feel overwhelmed by it all.

And I will say that he was a very nice gentleman, and not at all weird/strange/mental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology