Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2023, 04:39 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Ok…some may do that BUT, they are still doing it for the thrill of the kill. AND proud of it if they are hanging dead animal heads. It’s a little sadistic when you think of it as a “trophy”.
Do you eat meat?

Humans have lived this way for 100s of Thousands of years.

Old 06-08-2023, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Well…not nearly all hunters are living off the land, so that’s a silly point IMO. A lot of them live in the suburbs, shop at Turner’s & drive their behinds to the wilderness in a truck.

AND..ppl say that an animal head mounted on the wall is a trophy. It is sadistic to shoot an animal & display a memory of it. It’s the same thing some psychopaths do when they kill a person. They take a “trophy” to remember the kill…so, there’s that.
The ONLY way you can get actual grass fed meat is to either raise it yourself, or kill it yourself. You don't have any idea what you get in a grocery store. Especially seafood.

Just face it, not everyone is like you. I had some purple haired, prius driving chick flip me off because she could see deer antlers in the back of my truck. I just laughed and gave her a thumb's up.

Old 06-08-2023, 04:46 PM

639 posts, read 377,751 times
Quote:
Well…not nearly all hunters are living off the land, so that’s a silly point IMO.
You're ignorant. Almost all hunters consume what they kill. It's a tiny number of people that purely hunt for trophies.

I know that you have no idea how much work goes into hunting, especially trophy animals (outside of the small percentage that go on guided hunts for them, again, a tiny percentage). There is absolutely nothing wrong in having a trophy of a hard earned accomplishment (a neighbor had been pursuing a trophy buck near me for many years and never got a shot... its amazing how they disappear when the season opens, he spent hundreds and hundreds of hours scouting). That is what trophies are, for sports, or for sporthunting. If you think its just going out and shooting an defensive animal and then heading home, you're, well, I already said it.

Old 06-08-2023, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeugh View Post
You're ignorant. Almost all hunters consume what they kill. It's a tiny number of people that purely hunt for trophies.

I know that you have no idea how much work goes into hunting, especially trophy animals (outside of the small percentage that go on guided hunts for them, again, a tiny percentage).
The phrase most hunters/farmers and ranchers use for people that never leave the city limits, have never been to a farm, small town or viewed other's cultures are fondly called 'cidiots'. I didn't understand that at first but now I do.

All food comes from a fast food joint, restaurant or uber eats. Most can't cook. If they were to visit a slaughter house their heads would explode. Or see people picking their crops that don't have a porta potti in the field. Yes, that happens a lot. You need to go, you go, then back to work dirty hands and all.

Old 06-08-2023, 05:03 PM

454 posts, read 305,449 times
Hunting is a strong tradition where I come from. A "trophy" mount doesn't have to be the hugest buck ever killed, it just means something to the hunter.

I always considered that the story behind the mount is the real trophy. I know one guy that had a little spike buck mounted. Most wouldn't spend the money for a mount like that, but it was the last buck his father harvested before he passed away. That mount is a constant reminder to that man about all the wonderful times he and his father spent together hunting, hiking, bonding in the outdoors, and their shared love of the animals they pursued.

I love to hunt and spend time with my friends and family, and hunting camp is usually the only time we can get together to share time and get away from our responsibilities.

We all use all the meat, usually get the hides tanned into leather we use for a lot of different things, and I know one guy that makes arrowheads and other tools from the bones just as our Pleistocene ancestors did.

It's not about just emotion, it's about living our best lives and enjoying who we are.

Plus, wild meat tastes excellent!

Old 06-08-2023, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBear View Post
Hunting is a strong tradition where I come from. A "trophy" mount doesn't have to be the hugest buck ever killed, it just means something to the hunter.

I always considered that the story behind the mount is the real trophy. I know one guy that had a little spike buck mounted. Most wouldn't spend the money for a mount like that, but it was the last buck his father harvested before he passed away. That mount is a constant reminder to that man about all the wonderful times he and his father spent together hunting, hiking, bonding in the outdoors, and their shared love of the animals they pursued.

I love to hunt and spend time with my friends and family, and hunting camp is usually the only time we can get together to share time and get away from our responsibilities.

We all use all the meat, usually get the hides tanned into leather we use for a lot of different things, and I know one guy that makes arrowheads and other tools from the bones just as our Pleistocene ancestors did.

It's not about just emotion, it's about living our best lives and enjoying who we are.

Plus, wild meat tastes excellent!
Exactly. I keep all my game heads. Every time I look at them I remember the year, the hunt, the people that were with me.

It's like an analog picture. Most of them were when I hunted when my Dad was still alive.

Old 06-08-2023, 05:07 PM

4,087 posts, read 2,557,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Here you go again, arguing everyone to death who doesn't agree with your point of view.

Have you ever lived in an area with a lot of hunters? Do you even know any families who rely on hunting for food?
Good thing that some of these folks have never seen the FB pictures that people post of themselves with their freshly harvested deer or, better yet the pictures that they post of their kids (usually sporting a wide grin) with their own first kill (usually around age twelve or so back where I grew up in Ohio). Taxidermy is simply an extension of hunting culture; a culture that includes not only men, but plenty of women and children (both boys and girls).

These are normal folks who you and I grew up and live around, Pitt Chick. Why people think that hanging up a trophy (or two or ten) is some sort of a pathology is beyond me--especially if they themselves consume animal products, have down pillows/bedding and/or wear leather. When one thinks about it, it's just as odd to turn the skin of a once-living creature into apparel as it is to hang the rack of an eight-point buck over the mantel.

Darn if I don't want some deer jerky or pheasant after all of this talk of hunting! (And a road trip to Cabela's!)

I think what a lot of people who are so against hunting don't realize is that the biggest proponents of wildlife and wildlife habitat conservation are hunters.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 06-08-2023 at 05:25 PM..

Old 06-08-2023, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Good thing that some of these folks have never seen the FB pictures that people post of themselves with their freshly harvested deer or, better yet the pictures that they post of their kids (usually sporting a wide grin) with their own first kill (usually around age twelve or so back where I grew up in Ohio). Taxidermy is simply an extension of hunting culture; a culture that includes not only men, but plenty of women and children (both boys and girls).

These are normal folks who you and I grew up and live around, Pitt Chick. Why people think that hanging up a trophy (or two or ten) is some sort of a pathology is beyond me--especially if they themselves consume animal products, have down pillows/bedding and/or wear leather. When one thinks about it, it's just as odd to turn the skin of a once-living creature into apparel as it is to hang the rack of an eight-point buck over the mantel.

Darn if I don't want some deer jerky or pheasant after all of this talk of hunting!
Thanks for the reminder. I need to thaw out a flank steak for jerky. I use an air fryer. Works great. Most people don't know is that Fish and Game relies on revenue from the sales of license and tags to fund their management programs. It really gets annoying that these ignorant types won't click a few keys to investigate the things that they are so afraid of. No deer hunter is going to go on a human killing spree just because they put the horns on the wall.

That line of thinking is rather disturbing. As in, really dark, a place most people rarely think about.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 06-08-2023 at 05:31 PM..

Old 06-08-2023, 05:50 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Ok…some may do that BUT, they are still doing it for the thrill of the kill. AND proud of it if they are hanging dead animal heads. It’s a little sadistic when you think of it as a “trophy”.
Um, certainly not the majority of them. Most of the people I have known over the past 40 years hunt every year...to put food on the table. The "thrill" they're getting out of killing something is knowing their family will have access to healthy meat for more of the upcoming year. They are opting out of mass production livestock meat with all its notorious downsides. Which meat animal ends up having a better life? A free ranging game animal some hunter kills, or a feedlot captive poleaxed or dispatched by electric shock? The wild creature may live a riskier life, but that life is probably longer, self-directed, and fulfilling.

Most of the time these hunters spend out there doing it they're learning about and appreciating nature, exercising their skills, body, and their brain, passing traditional wisdom to the next generation, providing data for and contributing to the management of the very species they're hunting. Some of you so quick to pass judgement, holed up in sanitized concrete jungles far from nature, don't realize that a percentage of all the $ hunters spend on equipment, licenses, tags, travel, and game processing (and yes, taxidermy) ends up filtering back into management of those species and to conserve the habitat they depend on. And that benefits you too.

A few of these hunters I've known might hang one mounted reminder of an unusual or memorable hunting experience or a unique animal. It is tied to memory of the whole experience, not lording it over some victim. Cannot recall any hunters I've known, including all the hunters I've interviewed during game research or at agency hunter stations ever doing that! Most seem humbled and respectful instead. They are also honoring the role the animal played in that experience. Some people take photos and hang THOSE on their walls instead. Before you say it, yes, yes, I'd say all of them would agree the animal was also very beautiful while it was living. More likely they'll put the hide, bone, meat, and other parts to good use. While I choose not to hunt and probably wouldn't display mounted heads if I did, I don't condemn other ethical responsible hunters about which I know next to nothing.

We all know there are slobby, unethical, boastful hunters out there. I'd challenge you to find out just how old some taxidermy head might be. They can last a very, very long time. Might be a grandfather's, even a great grandfather's. So, it becomes more of a family history matter, not a killing matter. They also end up as museum artifacts so once again they become a matter of history, not hunting. This thread reminded me of a waterfowl hunter who happened to bring down an unusual, hybridized duck flying in the flock he had originally aimed at. He was awestruck by its beauty once he realized how unusual it was. He treated the bird like gold and brought it to our office for identification. Then had it professionally mounted. It ended up in a respected museum, a research paper about it was written and published, and it will educate generations of patrons. Not a bit of boasting or arrogance in his attitude at all. More like wonder and reverence.

Let's be just. Don't condemn the majority for the attitudes of the minority. As they say, walk a mile in someone's shoes before criticizing them. If you don't you'll only expose your ignorance to a wider audience.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-08-2023 at 07:07 PM..

Old 06-08-2023, 05:54 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post

Darn if I don't want some deer jerky or pheasant after all of this talk of hunting! (And a road trip to Cabela's!)

I think what a lot of people who are so against hunting don't realize is that the biggest proponents of wildlife and wildlife habitat conservation are hunters.
Leather (or snakeskin) purses, wallets, skirts, belts, boots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology