Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2023, 08:20 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,273,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalonMMXXII View Post
How and why is Reddit the most popular discussion forum if people just argue and insult others all the time on there?
I think you answered your own question.

More people prefer interpersonal drama to discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2023, 08:54 AM

19,736 posts, read 12,308,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
I'm actually considering leaving reddit to come back here. I was here a long time ago and now can't find my username, so I'm having to start over, but I recognize a lot of the names here. I'm in almost exclusively TV subs on reddit and the hate there is astonishing.

There's even something called hatewatching that I just learned about, where people watch a show they can't stand, just so they can go online and ***** about it. That's the very definition of toxicity.

I will say that I'm in my late 50s, and most of the people I interacted with here were my age and older, so I feel like that has a lot to do with it. The younger set tends to be the more negative (not in all cases of course, but there's a lot of them).

Personally, I'm hoping that if the mobile reddit apps have to go away because of the new API charges, that a lot of them will disappear because most aren't on desktops; they're using their phones.

I actually meant to see if there were any people here leaving reddit due to the API thing.
It really isn't toxic to critique a show you don't like. They had to name it something because so often if you go online to talk about a show or movie you are not allowed to dislike it or you get called hater. It's weird to me. Let people have their opinions. There's something called toxic positivity which is only allowing praise and "likes" to anything, no alternate opinions.

Old 06-20-2023, 08:58 AM

29,773 posts, read 34,497,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It really isn't toxic to critique a show you don't like. They had to name it something because so often if you go online to talk about a show or movie you are not allowed to dislike it or you get called hater. It's weird to me. Let people have their opinions. There's something called toxic positivity which is only allowing praise and "likes" to anything, no alternate opinions.
I participated a little in the Ted Lasso subreddit, because I really liked the show. This season the writing and the pacing were just off and I didn't enjoy it as much. There were a lot of people in that sub who could not handle 24/7 rainbows and sunshine if you had anything critical to say. And it wasn't that I hated the show, I just had opinions. Oh, the downvotes.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 06-20-2023 at 09:50 AM..

Old 06-20-2023, 09:23 AM

2,004 posts, read 995,613 times
Quote:

I'm specifically focusing on people who watch a show they've already decided they hate. Why watch the show at all? Why spread the negativity in a sub that is for "fans". I get it, if it's a show you enjoy and you disagree with an episode, but these people pick over every single detail on every episode. I used to block the users so I wouldn't see their posts, but then reddit put a limit on how many users you can block! LOL

Old 06-20-2023, 09:39 AM

19,736 posts, read 12,308,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
I'm specifically focusing on people who watch a show they've already decided they hate. Why watch the show at all? Why spread the negativity in a sub that is for "fans". I get it, if it's a show you enjoy and you disagree with an episode, but these people pick over every single detail on every episode. I used to block the users so I wouldn't see their posts, but then reddit put a limit on how many users you can block! LOL
Do the rules say this is a fan only sub and no negative critiquing is allowed? Can't you just skip over the comments you don't like? If it is a site of fans how does the negativity spread? Fans can say they disagree because a, b, and c, and discuss why their opinion differs.

I used to post on a site a long time ago that was based on picking on tv shows - Television Without Pity. It was really funny. Then at some point posters started complaining about negativity. On a site called Television Without Pity.

Old 06-20-2023, 09:48 AM

102,261 posts, read 108,277,635 times
OP, I've only been participating on Reddit for the last few months. I haven't run into the behavior you describe on the sub-forums I'm on, except maybe once. Someone posted at one point, that nearly everyone posting was in their teens and 20's, so I shouldn't expect a very elevated level of discourse on complex topics.

Thinking about that, I realized that the one particular forum we were on did tend toward quick, snarky comments that would get lots of votes, vs. comments analyzing the topic at hand, providing some historical background now and then, and that kind of thing--points that older participants would make, who had lived through different political eras and had greater life experience.

But I haven't experienced any environments there, that are toxic. Isn't there a way to report personal attacks? The Reddit forums are moderated, so they shouldn't get too wild, toxic, or abusive, in theory at least.

Old 06-20-2023, 09:54 AM

2,004 posts, read 995,613 times
Quote:
Do the rules say this is a fan only sub and no negative critiquing is allowed? Can't you just skip over the comments you don't like? If it is a site of fans how does the negativity spread? Fans can say they disagree because a, b, and c, and discuss why their opinion differs.

I used to post on a site a long time ago that was based on picking on tv shows - Television Without Pity. It was really funny. Then at some point posters started complaining about negativity. On a site called Television Without Pity.

The one sub I left because it was all negativity despite the sub saying something along the lines of "for fans of".

I love a good discussion. But "God I hate Carrie so much!" isn't a discussion. And it gets all the other people who also hate her to pile on. Then they come back to those people and it's "Ugh yes that too! It's so cringey!" And those of us who tried to steer it into a "Why do you think that?" got downvoted into oblivion. So I just left the sub entirely and am looking for somewhere else to actually have those adult discussions.

Old 06-20-2023, 11:40 AM

3,302 posts, read 1,778,905 times
There's that pesky first amendment again. Politeness counts. There's always the ignore list.

Old 06-20-2023, 12:20 PM

15,826 posts, read 20,610,474 times
I've noticed this too. A mature discussion in one of the subs, and then someone who doesn't agree with you pretty much just insults you rather than present a counter.

Same happens on FB and other platforms. With FB, it's usually someone with a generic profile name and stock photo. You can usually tell right away they are just looking to cause conflict and a quick view into their posting history confirms this.

Face-to-face people can be polite, but when they are truly anonymous they can be quite cruel.

Old 06-20-2023, 12:31 PM

9,229 posts, read 6,387,128 times
When I discovered Reddit I was enamored with the specificity of the subreddits. You could find detailed information about very specific topics. At one point I created an account but I found the interaction on Reddit to be severely lacking. I deleted my account a couple of weeks ago and I reverted back to using Reddit as a read-only resource. Overall I found the subreddits dedicated to very specific topics to be fairly pleasant and worthwhile to read. The more general subreddits though, are best described as toxic cesspools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology