Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2023, 07:29 AM

1,078 posts, read 589,673 times

Advertisements

Ooof, reddit has been on my mind a lot lately. Mostly deliberating whether or not I want to continue using the platform.

The hockey subs I participate in are pretty low key and relatively innocuous. The greatest annoyance on these boards, I suppose, is everyone's hot takes, perceived expertise, and armchair GMing. However, once you venture outside of some of the more niche communities, the vitriol spilleth over. For one, there is a massive ideological slant in the large communities like /r/politics or /r/news. Sharing an opinion that is anything but left of center or far left will almost always ensure a high downvote count and snide remarks.

Moderation and administration is also all over the board. Some of this is a result of poor people moderators on a power trip, but a lot of it is due to poor AI moderation. Recently, I got a strong taste of this where I apparently harassed someone for telling them that I was going to report them for their incredibly rude behavior towards me. The poster responded back by once again insulting me and using profane language and then reported me and blocked me. Reddit's administration determined that my threatening to report the user was a much bigger case of harassment, while their profane language and insults were not lol. So guess who received the temporary suspension.

What I've noticed lately, perhaps as a result of their impending IPO, is reddit admins coming down hard on infractions. In years past, this was an area that seemed almost entirely ignored. Reports of abuse of the content policy seemed to vaporize into a black hole somewhere, never to be addressed. However, these days, it seems to have skewed in the complete opposite direction. But now, it seems like the system is ripe with abuse. Paired with poor AI moderation, you could virtually sneeze in the wrong direction and seemingly be targeted for content policy violations. With the inequitable and unfair application of said policies, it leaves a gaping hole with regards to feeling like justice is being served. This has been a pervasive issue, especially among the mod community. Apparently, many of them are being targeted by unhappy users, who'll report them at high rates hoping that one of their reports will get through the AI and result in bans against the respective mods...and they do and there is plenty of evidence and complaining about this flaw.

Also, the melodrama over insignificant issues is rather annoying. The latest has been over reddit's feud with 3rd party app makers that access their APIs. This resulted in a number of members publicly admonishing the policy and deleting their years-old accounts. Additionally, several subs locked down access for 24-48 hour windows to show unity with 3rd party developers, ultimately rendering most of reddit useless. What change did all of this drama effect? How did it make the world a better place? Spoiler: it didn't.

The user base is largely composed of self-important 16-29 year old, overly educated (but sometimes underachieving) world denizens who think they know everything about everything. There is a lot of virtue signaling and shaming if you don't profess the same "woke" ideologies as them. Reddit also gets painted as mostly liberal, but I don't agree with that. The ideologies are more or less consistent with libertarian values, where social justice and compassion towards others is king. But there are enough tech bros, finance bros, and other money/fame motivated individuals on the platform espousing get rich quick schemes and win-at-all costs mentalities that you could certainly mistake it for a Gordon Gecko fan club.

Reddit is great in the sense that there is an incredible amount of information shared there. However, the signal to noise ratio can be overwhelming when you consider how many different opinions you're exposing yourself to if you share your own opinion. Just one comment or OP can receive hundreds or thousands of up/downvotes and responses. Downvotes are often weaponized to silence dissenting opinions, and once you have too many of those, your ability to share views is severely limited. If you take a particularly rigid stance on any one topic, you might be opening yourself up to a lot of harsh criticisms and personal attacks. And if you're hoping for justice and support from the moderation teams, you better hope that they share your same views.

Last edited by digitalUID; 07-03-2023 at 08:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2023, 09:13 AM

3,005 posts, read 1,513,982 times
Reddit was my daily stop on the internet. I had a long list of subs. Sometimes I reached the end of the list and still browsed reddit for a while, until I realized I was wasting too much of my life on that site. Sometimes I see news of reddit shutting down a sub for trivial or political reasons. It seems to be like any big social media site now: it is becoming less useful and less user-friendly as the corporate owners make corporate decisions.

Old 07-03-2023, 09:28 AM

1,078 posts, read 589,673 times
In contrast to my earlier post and to be fair, reddit can offer a lot of heartfelt and thoughtful discussion. Due to its size and reach, it's not uncommon for celebs, subject matter experts, titans of industry, and otherwise to stop on by to do an AMA or contribute to a discussion. I know that Arnold Schwarzenegger and Gary Sinise have been frequent flyers on the platform. There are some very supportive subs that are dedicated to doing good and feeling happy; these tend to have the most wholesome discussions.

To get the most optimal experience, you really need to curate your own experience by paying close attention to the subreddits you subscribe to and participate on. Avoid the large subs (that always show up on the front page) and stick to the more niche subs around topics you enjoy. Don't participate on controversial comments or submissions. And most importantly, use it sparingly. It's easy to get caught up in the muck of anonymous social media. However, there's a whole world outside that include people and activities for your to enjoy.

Old 07-03-2023, 03:28 PM

11,160 posts, read 4,827,278 times
yes, I have reddit.com assigned to the loopback in etc/hosts

Old 07-03-2023, 06:16 PM

3,359 posts, read 2,358,590 times
I do have a feeling most people left on forums and social medias are agents of special interest groups hiding behind screennames to defend agendas or to do damage control both for agenda of a political party or for a corporation. Very few normal people use social media anymore because they are tired of speaking against these almost robots who just keep repeating the same nonsense over and over and no regular citizens ever joins anymore. On reddit the screen names of such astrosurfers often change but on city data I noticed most threads it's the same screen names over and over spouting out the same thing over and over and the moderator seem to take side of the argument and even close threads due to disagreement. Ie for those protesting bag eco fads to suck it up and BYOB and the thread gets locked. Apparently complaining about this movement is not tolerated in his forum.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 07-03-2023 at 06:57 PM..

Old 07-03-2023, 06:23 PM

3,319 posts, read 2,414,279 times
Reddit only seems to favor woke, radical left wing nuts. I don't go near that place,

Old 07-04-2023, 08:39 AM

2,309 posts, read 1,178,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Reddit only seems to favor woke, radical left wing nuts. I don't go near that place,
Sure, all 140,000 subs do that

Old 07-04-2023, 08:40 AM

2,309 posts, read 1,178,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I do have a feeling most people left on forums and social medias are agents of special interest groups hiding behind screennames to defend agendas or to do damage control both for agenda of a political party or for a corporation. Very few normal people use social media anymore because they are tired of speaking against these almost robots who just keep repeating the same nonsense over and over and no regular citizens ever joins anymore. On reddit the screen names of such astrosurfers often change but on city data I noticed most threads it's the same screen names over and over spouting out the same thing over and over and the moderator seem to take side of the argument and even close threads due to disagreement. Ie for those protesting bag eco fads to suck it up and BYOB and the thread gets locked. Apparently complaining about this movement is not tolerated in his forum.
I fear you might be 100% correct.

Old 07-04-2023, 12:43 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,309,932 times
Some thin skins over there. I got an avalanche of down votes for offering my opinion on homely women and sex.

Old 07-04-2023, 07:38 PM

3,359 posts, read 2,358,590 times
I can memorize pretty much all that’s left with CD’s poster names. They are just there to argue like a broken record their agenda regardless of how much try to reason with them, and the moderators stand behind them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology