Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2023, 09:06 PM

1,036 posts, read 630,212 times

Advertisements

What do you get when you cross millions of down and out people who never got picked in gym class, are living out of their parents' basement, nursing their weed addiction to make themselves feel better about their anxiety/gender confusion/whatever else makes them a special little snowflake?

I'll give you a hint. It rhymes with edit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2023, 10:05 AM

1,078 posts, read 597,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I do have a feeling most people left on forums and social medias are agents of special interest groups hiding behind screennames to defend agendas or to do damage control both for agenda of a political party or for a corporation. Very few normal people use social media anymore because they are tired of speaking against these almost robots who just keep repeating the same nonsense over and over and no regular citizens ever joins anymore. On reddit the screen names of such astrosurfers often change but on city data I noticed most threads it's the same screen names over and over spouting out the same thing over and over and the moderator seem to take side of the argument and even close threads due to disagreement. Ie for those protesting bag eco fads to suck it up and BYOB and the thread gets locked. Apparently complaining about this movement is not tolerated in his forum.
Yeah, combined with AI bots, I would not be surprised by this. There is a lot of suspicious activity lately on reddit. One item being what I highlighted in my own post; essentially an inconsistent application of content policy rules by reddit's own admins. You can literally have someone cuss you out, troll you, make a rude comment about you and reddit will find nothing wrong with their behavior. However, these provocateurs are very keen on getting others in trouble over something incredibly trivial.

I mentioned in my earlier post that my account was temporarily suspended for merely messaging a poster that I was going to report them for their rude behavior towards me if they continued on. The culprit even responded with even more nasty comments, calling me a "bleeping loser". Reddit apparently finds my warning to report a more aggressive case of harassment than the actual act of belittling or being rude to someone. This has now happened on a couple of occasions, which I find incredibly suspect. It's as if these people (or bots) know exactly how to egg someone on in order to get them in trouble, while facing zero consequences themselves. Obviously this makes you wonder what is going on behind the scenes. Are these actors reddit mods/admins in disguise? You can easily create a cache of alt accounts, and reddit does very little to verify your identity. So, to your point, you literally have no idea who you're actually engaging with. Are they sock puppet accounts pushing an agenda? Are they mods/admins in disguise abusing their power? Are they AI bots pushing an agenda on behalf of an organization? There's no way in knowing this.

I only recently joined reddit in the last few years, but from what I have heard from long time users is that it used to be a better place for civil engagement and freedom of expression. Today, it seems like some of the most active areas are incredibly toxic environments that are often abused by users, mods, and admins alike.

Old 07-05-2023, 10:58 AM

27,977 posts, read 29,132,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
For one, there is a massive ideological slant in the large communities like /r/politics or /r/news. Sharing an opinion that is anything but left of center or far left will almost always ensure a high downvote count and snide remarks.
So, have you had a change of heart about your own politics?

Old 07-05-2023, 11:13 AM

2,377 posts, read 1,225,605 times
I gave up on ANY AND ALL politics or news forums a long time ago. My life is so so much better for it.

Old 07-05-2023, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, have you had a change of heart about your own politics?
Absolutely not. For at least the last decade or so, I've always been relatively moderate (right of center on some issues, left of center on others). Just as I think some on this forum take it too far with the right-wing agenda, I think some on reddit take it too far with the left-wing agenda. But I should also point out that I think a big portion of reddit is surprisingly more libertarian as opposed to left-wing/progressive. Primarily, it seems to me that reddit's progressive slant is geared more towards social issues (LGBTQ rights, civil rights, gender equality, equity and fairness, abortion). As far as fiscal and economic issues, I'd contend that it's all over the board on reddit notwithstanding the far left subs like latestagecapitalism, if not a bit right of center.

I was surprised recently over the responses on a thread about the student loan forgiveness program on my local subreddit, which I had always assumed was very progressive/left of center since the same people have ridiculed me about owning a home. Most of the responses that I read were against it. In fact, the only "liberal" policies that most of them seemed to be for were things like child tax credits or making things like healthcare and college education more affordable. However, from what I could gather, nobody proposed any novel ideas either. So, it just came across as a bunch of hot air. It's my opinion that the Democratic Party merely attracted a bunch of the moderate, right of center corporatists (or neoliberals) who were looking to escape MAGA and get their grubby hands on more corporate donations. They put up with the moderately progressive social issues while fully expecting conservative economic policies. Many of them play the role of a war hawk today, and they seem to loathe the working class, too. And that's sort of my depiction of most reddit "liberals" as well.

Last edited by digitalUID; 07-05-2023 at 06:47 PM..

Old 07-05-2023, 07:18 PM

3,360 posts, read 2,371,645 times
I do have a feeling whether it’s Reddit or City data I recognize the names of professional you know what’s who’s job is to hide behind some screename to jump on anyone speaking against thier agenda. Even late at night they jump on your comment immediately. So they are obviously in shifts using that screenname.

Old 07-05-2023, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I do have a feeling whether it’s Reddit or City data I recognize the names of professional you know what’s who’s job is to hide behind some screename to jump on anyone speaking against thier agenda. Even late at night they jump on your comment immediately. So they are obviously in shifts using that screenname.
Reddit and other social media platforms have a history of sourcing comment/rating/voting farms whose job it is to essentially act as a sock puppet for a given interest group. They post favorable ratings for certain products on sites like Amazon, or post comments or threads pushing one agenda or another. Bots are programmed to downvote or upvote content en masse to propel it to the front or tops of pages. Reddit's own CEO admittedly deleted comments of those expressing conservative or pro-Trump views. In reddit's early days, he and the other founding developers spent time posting controversial news articles or rousing opinions to rile up activity on the up and coming platform. The fact of the matter is that you can't really genuinely trust what you see on any of these platforms, and that even includes this one.

Old 07-06-2023, 07:33 AM

2,247 posts, read 1,238,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
What do you get when you cross millions of down and out people who never got picked in gym class, are living out of their parents' basement, nursing their weed addiction to make themselves feel better about their anxiety/gender confusion/whatever else makes them a special little snowflake?
This thread is starting to remind me of why I left reddit.

Old 07-13-2023, 10:57 AM

2,793 posts, read 1,670,999 times
Some subreddits are more mature because people 30+ years old post. The worst ones are the ones that you can tell that they're all teenagers and 20s.

Old 07-14-2023, 08:32 AM

2,377 posts, read 1,225,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Some subreddits are more mature because people 30+ years old post. The worst ones are the ones that you can tell that they're all teenagers and 20s.
I'd be cautious about relating it to age. There are forums (ahem) full of retired and other 50++ people that are some of the rudest, moronic, and immature places I've seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology