Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2023, 05:13 PM

50 posts, read 33,536 times

Advertisements

Hopefully this is the right topic because it definitely covers the mental aspect...

I noticed people are very polite on here, but on reddit the same comments I might make often give me replies by someone angrily commenting back and taking a simple comment and acting like my comment was an attack on them personally.

I have noticed they do this to everyone though, not just me, it is very childish.

Why is reddit so toxic? I'm actually scared to go on there now because I know whatever I say or read will be hostile, if not to me it is hostility to other posters on there. Are most users on Reddit under age 18? Because they just seem so angry if they disagree with someone else opinion or comment and don't know how to invoke their opinion without insulting someone else.

Have also seen perfectly nice comments or replies get bashed and downvoted until they are hidden for no good reason, other than perhaps "spite?" How do kids (in my experience they seem like kids posting on there) get a thrill out of being spiteful and rude to other people on there?

I notice in the short time I have been on Reddit, that I feel worse most of the time than I did before going on there. How and why is Reddit the most popular discussion forum if people just argue and insult others all the time on there?

Is anyone else noticing this as well? It is almost "militant" (for lack of better word) in it's nature of mentality and behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2023, 05:15 PM

2,056 posts, read 1,000,626 times
Reddit has a bazillion subs, I actually find the ones I participate in to be far, far better than this place. But I've heard the opposite from others who tend toward controversial/political/social subreddits.

Old 06-15-2023, 07:42 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,793,139 times
I have found Reddit is mostly left leaning to very left-leaning, not extreme but if you are right leaning you catch hell quite a bit more than anything else.

There are some areas that are really nice relating to animals crazy cats crazy dogs silly actions but you definitely have to be careful how you walk through Reddit.

Old 06-15-2023, 09:02 PM

732 posts, read 604,065 times
Reddit is so broad and has so many subs that it's pretty hard to call it any one thing. Sort of like saying "the world is bad" or "the world is good." Doesn't really tell you anything. The subs I frequent are really rewarding for me. It's my favorite social media platform. I suppose the best subs also have good moderators and supportive regular posters that set a good tone, that probably helps a lot. Sorry you've had bad experiences there!

Old 06-15-2023, 09:40 PM

137 posts, read 82,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalonMMXXII View Post
Hopefully this is the right topic because it definitely covers the mental aspect...

I noticed people are very polite on here, but on reddit the same comments I might make often give me replies by someone angrily commenting back and taking a simple comment and acting like my comment was an attack on them personally.

I have noticed they do this to everyone though, not just me, it is very childish.

Why is reddit so toxic? I'm actually scared to go on there now because I know whatever I say or read will be hostile, if not to me it is hostility to other posters on there. Are most users on Reddit under age 18? Because they just seem so angry if they disagree with someone else opinion or comment and don't know how to invoke their opinion without insulting someone else.

Have also seen perfectly nice comments or replies get bashed and downvoted until they are hidden for no good reason, other than perhaps "spite?" How do kids (in my experience they seem like kids posting on there) get a thrill out of being spiteful and rude to other people on there?

I notice in the short time I have been on Reddit, that I feel worse most of the time than I did before going on there. How and why is Reddit the most popular discussion forum if people just argue and insult others all the time on there?

Is anyone else noticing this as well? It is almost "militant" (for lack of better word) in it's nature of mentality and behavior.
Quite simply I would say, if going there makes you feel bad, then don't.

But I wouldn't characterize the whole of reddit as necessarily toxic. I'm sure some communities on there are more toxic than others. I've been there mostly only to discuss books I like and in general I have no encountered especially vitriolic responses. All in all I'm quite sure I have not seen more toxicity there than on the internet in general, at least not compared to other large social media such as youtube or Twitter (twitter is and has always been the worst in my opinion).

And I cannot say that I never encountered toxicity on this very forum either. While most posters are thoughtful and empathetic, if you go to the dating questions forum you'll see that there's a good number of posters who seem to just be lurking there to cast immediate, reflexive judgement on people and are completely unhelpful.

Old 06-16-2023, 08:37 AM

19,726 posts, read 20,264,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalonMMXXII View Post

I noticed people are very polite on here,
We've been conditioned by years of infractions, lol

Old 06-16-2023, 08:43 AM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamexe View Post
And I cannot say that I never encountered toxicity on this very forum either. While most posters are thoughtful and empathetic, if you go to the dating questions forum you'll see that there's a good number of posters who seem to just be lurking there to cast immediate, reflexive judgement on people and are completely unhelpful.
See, I like the Relationships forum here--it's relatively chill and friendly, for the most part. But, in the times when somehow I've ended up in the C-D Politics forum, I've been shocked at the open hostility of the discourse there.

Old 06-16-2023, 09:56 AM

6,310 posts, read 4,204,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Reddit has a bazillion subs, I actually find the ones I participate in to be far, far better than this place. But I've heard the opposite from others who tend toward controversial/political/social subreddits.
Same. Many sub reddits have strict tos rules and abide by them.

Old 06-16-2023, 10:04 AM

10,101 posts, read 6,444,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
Reddit is so broad and has so many subs that it's pretty hard to call it any one thing. Sort of like saying "the world is bad" or "the world is good." Doesn't really tell you anything. The subs I frequent are really rewarding for me. It's my favorite social media platform. I suppose the best subs also have good moderators and supportive regular posters that set a good tone, that probably helps a lot. Sorry you've had bad experiences there!
I agree. Of course, I post in subs like "cats", "landscaping", "gardening", and "old houses', so there's not a huge amount of controversy except whether one should paint original wood trim or not. (Not, for the most part, btw). There are always some posters who offer up garbage responses, or even mean ones, but on the whole I've found that most people are looking for help on whatever problem they're having. I like to provide insight based on past experiences with old houses and have gotten a lot of positive responses in return.

Old 06-16-2023, 10:29 AM

732 posts, read 604,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I agree. Of course, I post in subs like "cats", "landscaping", "gardening", and "old houses', so there's not a huge amount of controversy except whether one should paint original wood trim or not. (Not, for the most part, btw). There are always some posters who offer up garbage responses, or even mean ones, but on the whole I've found that most people are looking for help on whatever problem they're having. I like to provide insight based on past experiences with old houses and have gotten a lot of positive responses in return.
I've learned so much on Reddit subs about places of interest, various hobbies and things I do or things I try to learn about or keep up with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology