Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2023, 09:05 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,047,363 times

Advertisements

Be it relationships, non romantic relationships, pets or what, what is it that makes people these days so uncaring, to turn their backs on others? While it might have always been there, "it's not my problem", has it become increasingly an issue?

Are we asking the incomplete question of not "How can people be like that?" but rather "Why are so many people like that?".

Old 07-26-2023, 10:58 AM

492 posts, read 146,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Be it relationships, non romantic relationships, pets or what, what is it that makes people these days so uncaring, to turn their backs on others? While it might have always been there, "it's not my problem", has it become increasingly an issue?

Are we asking the incomplete question of not "How can people be like that?" but rather "Why are so many people like that?".
The Boomer generation, which I belong to, is a very arrogant prideful bunch. Their chidren are a product of this selfishness and arrogance. Just look at how many divorces that took place,

Children, pets and spouses are only there to make folks, feel happy. Once no more joy comes they just, move on.

They hook up with whomever floats their boat for the time.

Dogs are nothing as their children are. They dope them up and themselves with prescription meds.

They spoiled there children beyond measure, then the cycle repeats itself, with extreme selfishness. Talk to any boomer. The conversation is always, I am going here, then I am going there, I bought this and I bought that.

They have all stored wheat for themselves. Some still chase the dollar.

Old 07-26-2023, 11:09 AM

23,615 posts, read 70,522,351 times
I don't think this is a psychology question. It might marginally be a history question, since you are asking for a comparison between time periods, but it sounds more like a lead in to an "Ain't if awful?" group whinge, which are often uninformative about anything but personal stories and opinions.

Humanity has always had these types of issues, and you are really only asking about current western culture. The reasons for dissociation in cultures are many and complex, and the question you pose actually may be better suited to philosophy, since there is no anthropology forum.

Old 07-26-2023, 11:10 AM

22,625 posts, read 47,766,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkintheLight View Post
The Boomer generation, which I belong to, is a very arrogant prideful bunch. Their chidren are a product of this selfishness and arrogance. Just look at how many divorces that took place,

Children, pets and spouses are only there to make folks, feel happy. Once no more joy comes they just, move on.

They hook up with whomever floats their boat for the time.

Dogs are nothing as their children are. They dope them up and themselves with prescription meds.

They spoiled there children beyond measure, then the cycle repeats itself, with extreme selfishness. Talk to any boomer. The conversation is always, I am going here, then I am going there, I bought this and I bought that.

They have all stored wheat for themselves. Some still chase the dollar.
I cannot agree to, or even relate to, a single thing in that diatribe.

Old 07-26-2023, 11:19 AM

2,085 posts, read 1,020,394 times
This is hardly a psych question. It's just complaining and generational stereotyping/bashing.

Old 07-26-2023, 11:25 AM

29,758 posts, read 34,454,278 times
I don't know that it is generational--when I was a kid, we got a cat because my sister's friend's dad was going to drown the kittens that their cat had. If anything, now we're more aware of TNR, spaying and neutering, vet care, etc.

Old 07-26-2023, 11:59 AM

11,133 posts, read 7,202,420 times
There are, and have always been, cold people in the world, who only care about themselves. They see themselves as superior to everything, so taken in reverse, the rest of the living are of little value. There's no way to understand it or rationalize it.

It's one of many human flaws. The worst aspect is that the numbers are growing. Much of culture plays a part. And it's not subject to any group, age bracket, gender, or race. It can infect anyone.

It's part of the growing divide between humanity and life due to technology, which builds on previous divides between people and nature (the land, animals, etc.) Humanity is moving in the direction of the sterile, cold machine.

Old 07-26-2023, 12:07 PM

44,378 posts, read 20,097,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I don't think this is a psychology question. It might marginally be a history question, since you are asking for a comparison between time periods, but it sounds more like a lead in to an "Ain't if awful?" group whinge, which are often uninformative about anything but personal stories and opinions.

Humanity has always had these types of issues, and you are really only asking about current western culture. The reasons for dissociation in cultures are many and complex, and the question you pose actually may be better suited to philosophy, since there is no anthropology forum.
This ^ . Thread closed.

People, don't make sweeping generalizations. It's just wrong. Always.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology