Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2023, 03:51 PM

8,884 posts, read 4,015,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
Well try telling that to incels, feminists, people with disabilities, the blind, and the guy who made this informative video.
Huh? Are you bizarrely suggesting incels, feminists, and persons with disabilities are all aromantics; else, what’s the point of your post? My perspective relative to healthy romantic love (and its benefits) is well-documented in psychology (and common sense) i.e. it applies to feminists, homosexuality and/or folks with disabilities as well.

That said, it’s extremely amusing you mentioned incels in the same sentence as feminists; hence, I’m curious where you were going with this (other than down a rabbit hole).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2023, 03:57 PM

693 posts, read 452,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Huh? Are you bizarrely suggesting incels, feminists, and persons with disabilities are all aromantics; else, what’s the point of your post? My perspective relative to healthy romantic love (and its benefits) is well-documented in psychology (and common sense) i.e. it applies to feminists, homosexuality and/or folks with disabilities as well.

That said, it’s extremely amusing you mentioned incels in the same sentence as feminists; hence, I’m curious where you were going with this (other than down a rabbit hole).
My point was both ruthlessly hate the other gender. By the way, is the fact that you so strongly believe what you do might be by any chance because you’re from San Francisco, the city of peace and free love? Lol.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LlVwcB...cmFuY2lzY28%3D

Old 08-15-2023, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Quote:
My point was both ruthlessly hate the other gender.
I meant a point relative to the thread, lol; if one hates men (or women), it speaks to a psychological issue, in and of itself.

Old 08-17-2023, 02:40 PM

21 posts, read 9,422 times
Romantics, these people are not just capable and need a vivid manifestation of feelings, emotions, love fantasies, desires. Relationships, both love and friendship with a non-romantic person are doomed to failure. Even starting them is not worth it.

Old 08-21-2023, 12:25 PM

89,031 posts, read 85,578,594 times
Feminists ruthlessly hate the other gender?

So you don't know what feminists are. Could have just said that.

Old 08-21-2023, 01:50 PM

20,494 posts, read 14,857,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Feminists ruthlessly hate the other gender?

So you don't know what feminists are. Could have just said that.
For real.

I tend to shy away from using the word to describe myself because it seems to mean a lot of different things to different people (though I agree with many of the points of ideology)...I'll always end up having to explain so I just start off doing that instead from the get-go.

But even I think that such a statement is weird in its extremity.

Admittedly my husband has talked about encountering some feminists in his younger years who had him pretty confused as a sensitive man growing up and trying to figure out how to be a good person. He said that there was a whole lot of the whole "no woman needs a man" and the old fish/bicycle stuff... And while someone who is all up in the activism can understand where people were coming from in this time, for a young man who is just trying to figure it all out, I can understand where it may have been pretty hurtful, feeling like there was a barrage of "your kind are all terrible oppressors!" from the sort of people he just wanted to love and be loved by.

I think that most of today's feminism has moved very far away from that into a place that is not only more compassionate (also to men) but also just more sensible.

I can't deny that the sentiments he describes existed though, I had a lesbian friend when I was 19 who loaned me a book written by some loony woman who shot Andy Warhol, where she tried to make the stance with "science" that men are inferior beings and ought to be wiped out. My reaction was just..."I'm sorry, <friend> but this author is just straight up coo-coo for cocoa puffs. I hope she went to prison forever, she's not safe to be running around loose."

But thinking that all women, or even all feminists, are like that... It's like thinking that all men, or even all men who (for instance) care about the rights of fathers in family courts, bear a violent hatred of women. It's beyond untrue. It's crazy.

I swear, some people need to go outside and touch some grass or something. Interact with real humans once in a while. Sheesh.

Old 08-21-2023, 03:15 PM

5,806 posts, read 3,291,720 times
Quote:
My point was both ruthlessly hate the other gender. By the way, is the fact that you so strongly believe what you do might be by any chance because you’re from San Francisco, the city of peace and free love? Lol.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LlVwcB...cmFuY2lzY28%3D
Feminists don't hate men. At least, not as a whole.

Old 08-21-2023, 05:04 PM

Quote:
By the way, is the fact that you so strongly believe what you do might be by any chance because you’re from San Francisco, the city of peace and free love? Lol.
I’m not ‘from’ SF, although my parents moved to the Bay Area when I was in middle school. I moved to SF after living in a variety of cities relative to my (education and) career; even now, I’m often in SoCal. That said, I don’t have any opinion of aromantics, per the thread, other than I don’t understand the (permanent) label; also, I’ve never heard the term used in a RL conversation (or ‘incels’, either, as you mentioned previously). It’s not a topic of conversation in my personal or professional crowd.

That said, what are the factors that contribute to one labeling themselves (or others) an ‘aromantic’? It certainly seems to suggest there is an explanation (or something dysfunctional) as to why they aren’t romantically attracted to anyone (nor ever will be) i.e. it sounds permanent. It’s not as if it’s a mental health or medical diagnosis of sorts, or is it?

However, to answer your (bizarre) point, no; SF doesn’t have anything to do with my question, lol.

Old 08-29-2023, 11:20 PM

5 posts, read 1,394 times
I think they may either being though trauma or they're brought up in a very healthy family. In the first case, they get defensive and reject love to protect themselves. In the later case, they simply focus on what they want in life instead of fixate on the notion that romantic love is a must.

Old 08-30-2023, 12:02 PM

8,925 posts, read 7,772,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haileyyy View Post
I think they may either being though trauma or they're brought up in a very healthy family. In the first case, they get defensive and reject love to protect themselves. In the later case, they simply focus on what they want in life instead of fixate on the notion that romantic love is a must.
Now this is interesting because it has been something I have pondered on myself. I grew up in a very stable household with a lot of love and care. All my needs were met for the most part. And I think it contributes to my own lack of any real interest in pursuing a romantic relationship. And why I feel more comfortable and satisfied with my own company and platonic relationships. I have plenty of love around me from friends and family. In terms of trauma, I think it really depends on the person and the kind of trauma they experienced. It can express itself through extreme lack of interest (primarily fear based) or extreme interest to the point of potentially accepting dysfunctional treatment in a relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology