Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 12:08 PM

8,741 posts, read 3,914,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haileyyy View Post
In the later case, they simply focus on what they want in life instead of fixate on the notion that romantic love is a must.
I think calling one’s self an aromantic is fixating on the point it’s not a must. One can (and should) focus on what they want in life independent of any romantic relationship anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2023, 12:12 PM

747 posts, read 495,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I think calling one’s self an aromantic is fixating on the point it’s not a must. One can (and should) focus on what they want in life independent of any romantic relationship anyway.
Like I said before, I'm too focused on death and dying, and finding out life's meaning, to be worried about romance. Last thing on my mind.

Old 08-30-2023, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancaisDeutsch View Post
Like I said before, I'm too focused on death and dying, and finding out life's meaning, to be worried about romance. Last thing on my mind.
Your fear of dying prevents you from living. Back at you -

Old 08-30-2023, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Your fear of dying prevents you from living. Back at you -
Life is really about preparing for death. There is not much time.

Old 09-06-2023, 03:58 PM

682 posts, read 423,278 times
Quote:
However, to answer your (bizarre) point, no; SF doesn’t have anything to do with my question, lol.
San Francisco has long been famed for supposedly always being the most liberal city in the US, and also the summer of love in 1967, so I had to wonder if that’s the reason you’d dismiss the existence of a aromanticism.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyt1yt...YW5jaXNjbyA%3D

Old 09-06-2023, 08:30 PM

415 posts, read 547,617 times
Honestly, I don't pretend to actually understand what it means to be aromantic and for all I know it might be complete nonsense. That said lot's of people sincerely believe in things I think are complete nonsense, ie most religious beliefs, psychic stuff etc. But if someone wants to believe in something and it really doesn't hurt me, even if it is nonsense really what do I care? People are allowed to have screwed up ideas about the world. It's not my job to fix them nor change their minds.

If someone doesn't want to date me, the specific reason really doesn't matter, I just know I need to date someone else. There are plenty of other people to date. To spare feelings I have told white lies to guys I wasn't interested in. Even if this is a white lie, that's fine.

Old 09-07-2023, 11:08 AM

20,419 posts, read 14,729,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnitjanet View Post
Honestly, I don't pretend to actually understand what it means to be aromantic and for all I know it might be complete nonsense. That said lot's of people sincerely believe in things I think are complete nonsense, ie most religious beliefs, psychic stuff etc. But if someone wants to believe in something and it really doesn't hurt me, even if it is nonsense really what do I care? People are allowed to have screwed up ideas about the world. It's not my job to fix them nor change their minds.

If someone doesn't want to date me, the specific reason really doesn't matter, I just know I need to date someone else. There are plenty of other people to date. To spare feelings I have told white lies to guys I wasn't interested in. Even if this is a white lie, that's fine.
It's part of "split theory." Which is an attempt to unpack a lot of ideas that have caused people some tension or confusion when they were previously bundled together. It just splits out various factors that make up a person's identity (usually as it pertains to sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, and relationship style)... So like, a drag queen isn't a trans person. They have a character they play that has a different gender expression, but have no desire to change the gender they were assigned at birth necessarily. And they may be gay or straight or bi or whatever. On top of that, they may be monogamous or non-monogamous of some sort.

This breaks down sexual orientation somewhat. The sexual side and the romantic side of it. And there's more to it, as well, than "romantic" and "aromantic."

I know a young man who only likes to have sex with women and only likes to have romantic relationships (which are non-sexual) with other men. He lives with a man, they have a non-sexual but romantic loving relationship that involves some power dynamics and things they've negotiated. It makes them both happy. But he enjoys the occasional strictly sexual hookup with a woman. But he is part of a lifestyle community that gives him opportunities to do that without having to "play" random women from dating apps. The women he has sex with know that it isn't going to become a relationship.

He is homoromantic and heterosexual. By his own definition.

Does he expect other people around him to know that? They don't need to. Not unless they are trying to become one of his partners, anyways.

The thing about all this split theory that I think "normal people" need to relax about...is that people don't really need you to memorize all of this and know it about everybody. There was this model where long ago we needed to know without asking and immediately, is this human stranger a man or woman, and are they single or taken, and that informs if I try to have sex with them or not. Full stop. Then we started recognizing that gay people were not some rare anomaly as more "came out of the closet" then THAT was a thing that people would just know about others sometimes. Either because they were overt in expression of it, or because they told you. Still pertains to the question of, "is this a human I should attempt to have sex with?"

Now, I think, all that's being asked is to let go the need to make a snap assumption and try to jump somebody's bones without even talking to them first. Which I don't think is completely bonkers? Expecting people to at least have a bit of conversation before feeling entitlement to sexual pursuit and sexual results? So then if you're chatting somebody up, I guarantee if they use one of these newfangled words to describe their identity, anyone can feel free to respond with something like, "Cool, would you mind explaining a little what that word means in the context of your identity? I want to make sure I understand." Like I even hesitate to call myself a feminist despite agreeing with many of them about many things, because the word means a lot of different things to different people. I ASSUME I will need to explain anyways, so I just do that instead of using the label word.

And personally I think that this is the problem with the labels. One would hope they help us say, "this is the way I am, it works for me, you don't get to tell me not to be this way." To assist in understanding. But what ends up happening is that we've got to explain things anyhow, and then once one puts the label on, a lot of "normal folks" figure that means they get to hold you to it for life, to put you in a box you aren't allowed out of. Which was never the point, either. So I dunno, I think personally I prefer to leave the labels out of it and if I feel like I need/want someone to understand my deal, I'll just explain it.

Of course...never let it be said that I would use one word when several paragraphs will suffice. There's a label I will accept lol..."verbose."

Old 09-08-2023, 11:07 AM

415 posts, read 547,617 times
Sonic that was a verbose explanation , but thanks for taking the time to make it .

Thanks.

Old 09-08-2023, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
It's part of "split theory." Which is an attempt to unpack a lot of ideas that have caused people some tension or confusion when they were previously bundled together. It just splits out various factors that make up a person's identity (usually as it pertains to sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, and relationship style)... So like, a drag queen isn't a trans person. They have a character they play that has a different gender expression, but have no desire to change the gender they were assigned at birth necessarily. And they may be gay or straight or bi or whatever. On top of that, they may be monogamous or non-monogamous of some sort.

This breaks down sexual orientation somewhat. The sexual side and the romantic side of it. And there's more to it, as well, than "romantic" and "aromantic."

I know a young man who only likes to have sex with women and only likes to have romantic relationships (which are non-sexual) with other men. He lives with a man, they have a non-sexual but romantic loving relationship that involves some power dynamics and things they've negotiated. It makes them both happy. But he enjoys the occasional strictly sexual hookup with a woman. But he is part of a lifestyle community that gives him opportunities to do that without having to "play" random women from dating apps. The women he has sex with know that it isn't going to become a relationship.

He is homoromantic and heterosexual. By his own definition.

Does he expect other people around him to know that? They don't need to. Not unless they are trying to become one of his partners, anyways.

The thing about all this split theory that I think "normal people" need to relax about...is that people don't really need you to memorize all of this and know it about everybody. There was this model where long ago we needed to know without asking and immediately, is this human stranger a man or woman, and are they single or taken, and that informs if I try to have sex with them or not. Full stop. Then we started recognizing that gay people were not some rare anomaly as more "came out of the closet" then THAT was a thing that people would just know about others sometimes. Either because they were overt in expression of it, or because they told you. Still pertains to the question of, "is this a human I should attempt to have sex with?"

Now, I think, all that's being asked is to let go the need to make a snap assumption and try to jump somebody's bones without even talking to them first. Which I don't think is completely bonkers? Expecting people to at least have a bit of conversation before feeling entitlement to sexual pursuit and sexual results? So then if you're chatting somebody up, I guarantee if they use one of these newfangled words to describe their identity, anyone can feel free to respond with something like, "Cool, would you mind explaining a little what that word means in the context of your identity? I want to make sure I understand." Like I even hesitate to call myself a feminist despite agreeing with many of them about many things, because the word means a lot of different things to different people. I ASSUME I will need to explain anyways, so I just do that instead of using the label word.

And personally I think that this is the problem with the labels. One would hope they help us say, "this is the way I am, it works for me, you don't get to tell me not to be this way." To assist in understanding. But what ends up happening is that we've got to explain things anyhow, and then once one puts the label on, a lot of "normal folks" figure that means they get to hold you to it for life, to put you in a box you aren't allowed out of. Which was never the point, either. So I dunno, I think personally I prefer to leave the labels out of it and if I feel like I need/want someone to understand my deal, I'll just explain it.

Of course...never let it be said that I would use one word when several paragraphs will suffice. There's a label I will accept lol..."verbose."

Excellent post. I am impressed.

Old 09-12-2023, 09:28 AM

Quote:
That said lot's of people sincerely believe in things I think are complete nonsense, ie most religious beliefs, psychic stuff etc.
Quote:
People are allowed to have screwed up ideas about the world. It's not my job to fix them nor change their minds.
I agree, but folks are also allowed to think the concept as being ‘screwed-up’ without others feeling it’s their job to change our minds as well.

Quote:
Honestly, I don't pretend to actually understand what it means to be aromantic and for all I know it might be complete nonsense.
That said, isn’t a thread the place to ask questions if we don’t understand it and/or give our opinion? Folks are going to disagree; it is what it is, but the entire point is opinion/discussion - no?

Quote:
I am not suffering because I am not in a romantic relationship. I have no desire for it. Never did.
Quote:
Quote:
Life is really about preparing for death. There is not much time.
It isn’t clear; are you an ‘aromantic’ (and you’re expressing reasons why)? I assumed, by definition, an aromantic doesn’t choose to be so, per a psychology forum; they simply can’t/don’t experience romantic attraction/feelings (as opposed to not having time for it or whatnot).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology