Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2023, 07:20 PM

678 posts, read 408,406 times

Advertisements

Of all the sexual and romantic orientations, I feel the one that never gets any recognition whatsoever and even in the wake of the #MeToo Movement is Aromanticism, that is, people who experience little to no romantic attraction to other people (not to be confused with Asexuality however, the two are definitely not the same).

To many this seems completely absurd and counterintuitive to the very essence of what it means to be a human. In my personal view though, I think it is valid and the root cause might be things like trauma or humiliation at a young age. I think Aromantic people are probably very self-sufficient, reliable and more likely to be wealthy and prosperous than the average person as a result of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2023, 09:03 PM

6,854 posts, read 4,850,706 times
I think people like to stick labels on things.

Old 07-28-2023, 01:26 AM

678 posts, read 408,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I think people like to stick labels on things.
Agreed. It’s probably part of the reason for all the chaos we’re in at the moment.

Old 07-28-2023, 06:33 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,066 times
Never heard of this before and dont understand why everything needs a label but I do not require "romance" in my life, does that make me aromantic?

Old 07-28-2023, 06:35 AM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
What do you think of people who are Aromantic?

Peope are people, and I generally don't think about (or judge them) by their sex life or lack thereof.

Old 07-28-2023, 06:43 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,716,751 times
I fall along the spectrum. But I found the label for ME, not for anyone else. It let me know that I was not "broken" or wrong for being the way that I am. I only felt the need to figure myself out because others kept telling me I was weird or afraid because I didn't pursue or care about romantic relationships like they expected me to. Me being this way isn't a result of trauma or some "tragic accident" nor is it a super villain origin story. I was literally just born this way. It is what it is. I think the labels would stop if people weren't nosy and quit trying to push ONE way for people to live. Falling in love doesn't define humanity to me, having basic empathy does.

Old 07-28-2023, 07:27 AM

9,289 posts, read 14,892,417 times
When I saw this title, I quickly read it as "aromatic" and thought it was about people who don't use deodorant!!

Old 07-28-2023, 07:52 AM

741 posts, read 441,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
When I saw this title, I quickly read it as "aromatic" and thought it was about people who don't use deodorant!!

So did I. In fact, I almost posted "Hey, even smelly people need love". Then I read the first post.

Old 07-28-2023, 08:12 AM

6,854 posts, read 4,850,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I thought it was going to be about people that wear perfume or cologne. Suzie is perfect in every way but she makes me sneeze....that sort of post.

Old 07-28-2023, 08:25 AM

19,610 posts, read 12,210,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
Of all the sexual and romantic orientations, I feel the one that never gets any recognition whatsoever and even in the wake of the #MeToo Movement is Aromanticism, that is, people who experience little to no romantic attraction to other people (not to be confused with Asexuality however, the two are definitely not the same).

To many this seems completely absurd and counterintuitive to the very essence of what it means to be a human. In my personal view though, I think it is valid and the root cause might be things like trauma or humiliation at a young age. I think Aromantic people are probably very self-sufficient, reliable and more likely to be wealthy and prosperous than the average person as a result of this.
I don't think there is anything wrong with people who are aromantic, unless they are unhappy about it. Romantic attraction isn't a necessary element for a happy healthy life. Of course the problems will come from external sources- family and others who think there is something wrong with the aromantic person and want to fix them or worse punish or ostracize them.

I agree with the poster who said empathy defines our humanity.

Unfortunately sometimes we need labels just to get the message out there that there are different ways of being. At least some of it will get through to some people. The idea of asexuality, which most people have heard of by now, was met with a lot of jokes and hostility but some of that has calmed down a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology