Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2023, 09:34 AM

880 posts, read 465,025 times

Advertisements

What, you guys don't see what op is saying in the opening post, you don't see that stuff all over the place. Don't need to be a shrink to spot that stuff it's everywhere why do you think the kids have so much trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2023, 09:38 AM

1,075 posts, read 559,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomx View Post
What, you guys don't see what op is saying in the opening post, you don't see that stuff all over the place. Don't need to be a shrink to spot that stuff it's everywhere why do you think the kids have so much trouble.
I think there is some willful ignorance in play. Also, if you participate on a forum where you are generally amenable to the prevailing viewpoints, you might turn a blind eye to some of these activities. i.e. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend", so to speak.

Old 08-15-2023, 09:39 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,006,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomx View Post
It's not that, it's that narcissism has become a label to slap on a variety of antisocial behaviors that aren't really narcissism and coupled with the increasing desire to label everything...it's just too much of a blanket sentiment. Also I think some people are too tightly wound up about forum behavior.

Old 08-15-2023, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
It's not that, it's that narcissism has become a label to slap on a variety of antisocial behaviors that aren't really narcissism and coupled with the increasing desire to label everything...it's just too much of a blanket sentiment. Also I think some people are too tightly wound up about forum behavior.
I'm not really sure why you're so hyper-focused on the idea of slapping labels on people. Nobody is calling anyone else a narcissist. As mentioned numerous times upthread, I'm describing narcissistic behaviors. In an earlier post, I essentially highlighted some of the specific behaviors. If you feel better about referring to the specific behaviors than the association with narcissism, then see below.

Quote:
Narcissistic personality disorder involves a pattern of self-centered, arrogant thinking and behavior, a lack of empathy and consideration for other people, and an excessive need for admiration. Others often describe people with NPD as cocky, manipulative, selfish, patronizing, and demanding
IME, these behaviors are far more prevalent online than IRL. Whether the person is diagnosed with NPD is not being debated here.

Old 08-15-2023, 09:42 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,340,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
This is why reading comprehension is an invaluable skill.

I'm not attempting to diagnose any single person with NPD, nor is anyone else from what I can tell. If you read what I actually wrote, I'm referring to narcissistic behaviors. You don't need a MSW or PhD to understand what these behaviors look like.

Again, remember that I'm referring to the behaviors. Any person with a remote sense of awareness and intuitiveness could pick on these whether it's 8 months or a few weeks.

You're reactionary and hostile response is illuminating. Why does this seem to offend you?
Firstly, I'm not offended. LOL

Secondly, I'm being far from hostile. Throwing around the idea that there's rampant narcissism on this forum could be considered hostile, however.

Thirdly, your reading comprehension seems to be lacking as you can't even read your own thread title.

Quote:
What's with the rampant narcissism online?
I skimmed the rest of your gibberish. Sorry.

Old 08-15-2023, 09:45 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,006,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post

Secondly, I'm being far from hostile. Throwing around the idea that there's rampant narcissism on this forum could be considered hostile, however.

Thirdly, your reading comprehension seems to be lacking as you can't even read your own thread title.

Pretty much this, yup.

Old 08-15-2023, 09:46 AM

1,955 posts, read 2,305,982 times
because it is all about me

29,753 posts, read 34,434,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
And I wholeheartedly disagree with you that this forum is some sort of pinnacle of open and free discussion encompassing a large swath of diverse thought. This forum, by and large, skews older, rural (ironically?), and conservative. It may seem great overall if you fit that mold. However, if you profess any progressive ideas or opinions that mostly relate to urban-bound, younger demographics or anything considered 'too mainstream' for that matter, these are not exactly exemplified on this forum. Which, love it or hate it, is something that reddit does offer up in abundance. The mods and admins do, for the most part, hold content accountable. While there may be an evident slant or bias on some subs, most shared information is coming reliable sources. Objectivity is more so prevalent on subs like /r/science and /r/neutralnews. I believe it's in the rules of either of those subs that all comments be cited from reliable sources.
I think this is a good point. As someone who's not older, rural, or conservative, I do try to push back on source material that's coming from an obvious bias (and get the inevitable "that's what the MSM wants you to think" response) There are a lot of links to sites like the Daily Mail or the New York Post in the Current Events forum, and often little of what we call in my biz, information literacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post

The use of the term 'Narcissism' in this context describes behaviors; it doesn't necessarily describe someone with NPD.

Old 08-15-2023, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Pretty much this, yup.
You tell me.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/65444060-post33.html

Seems like not too long ago you were openly venting about the lack of civility on this platform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology