Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 10:13 AM

3,219 posts, read 2,441,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
To clarify: I don't care if fellow hikers are staring at their phones instead of being present in the moment (that's their loss); my objection, which I think I made clear, is having candid, unflattering (such as topping a hill with a red, sweaty face and mouth wide open) pics of ME posted on "public" status and tagged so everyone who knows me - or doesn't - gets to see it -- again, without my permission. Quite likely you're correct that "no one cares," but - however shallow it may be of me - I care. If I were 20 and looked amazing, maybe I wouldn't, but I'm not and I don't, so I do. That's my hang-up, perhaps, but also my prerogative. There are two issues: 1) the troubling herd mentality of "smart" phone users and its effect on society, which isn't really the topic of this post and is probably another conversation for another day on the "Psychology" forum, and 2) one's personal privacy, over which I believe the individual should retain SOME control, however controlling, weird, or abnormal that may make him or her in this digital age. I simply wondered HOW abnormal. Apparently very!
You do know that in settings on most public forums (like Facebook) you can check not to be able to tag you without your permission. Of course it doesn't prevent someone from posting the pic anyway. I do understand, I have an aversion to my photo on social media like Facebook unless it is an old photo. My family knows this so they rarely do post current photos.

What I hate is the trend to make every female out their a Karen by manipulating the video to tell only one side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2023, 10:22 AM

88,649 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Rude?

Rude is a four-letter word that no longer has any meaning. It might the only four-letter word that is no longer used by all.

People are so taken with themselves, that they rarely consider others. In some cultures, it is believed that by taking a picture of someone, you have captured their soul.

But in the US:

I have my rights.
I have my space.
I have my music.
I have my language with a full complement of four-letter words.
I have my phone conversations on speaker.
I have my clothes with all sorts of body parts falling out.
Well, then, I guess I'm not playing in that world.

(Although I do enjoy my four-letter words, but only around friends or family that I know are OK with that.)

Old 09-15-2023, 09:33 AM

102,233 posts, read 108,076,189 times
Quote:
To clarify: I don't care if fellow hikers are staring at their phones instead of being present in the moment (that's their loss); my objection, which I think I made clear, is having candid, unflattering (such as topping a hill with a red, sweaty face and mouth wide open) pics of ME posted on "public" status and tagged so everyone who knows me - or doesn't - gets to see it -- again, without my permission. Quite likely you're correct that "no one cares," but - however shallow it may be of me - I care. If I were 20 and looked amazing, maybe I wouldn't, but I'm not and I don't, so I do. That's my hang-up, perhaps, but also my prerogative. There are two issues: 1) the troubling herd mentality of "smart" phone users and its effect on society, which isn't really the topic of this post and is probably another conversation for another day on the "Psychology" forum, and 2) one's personal privacy, over which I believe the individual should retain SOME control, however controlling, weird, or abnormal that may make him or her in this digital age. I simply wondered HOW abnormal. Apparently very!
I agree with you 100%, OP. I think you should stop participating in hiking groups and anything else, where people indiscriminately snap photos of participants. I haven't run into that, so it must be possible for you to find company where that doesn't go on.

Old 09-30-2023, 10:19 PM

1,011 posts, read 550,137 times
Sadly, the phones make their owners think they're photographers. This all started when digitally produced images from digital cameras caught on years ago. I'm a B&W photographer who only shoots film and prints in a darkroom, and when you work like that you don't go firing off 100 photos a day. You want every shot to count, and things should be good enough to be framed and put on a wall. I know social media is everywhere, I choose to stay away from it. Who needs to look at 1,000,000 cat photos?

Last edited by stephenMM; 09-30-2023 at 10:29 PM..

Old 10-02-2023, 04:54 PM

23,611 posts, read 70,493,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
Sadly, the phones make their owners think they're photographers. This all started when digitally produced images from digital cameras caught on years ago. I'm a B&W photographer who only shoots film and prints in a darkroom, and when you work like that you don't go firing off 100 photos a day. You want every shot to count, and things should be good enough to be framed and put on a wall. I know social media is everywhere, I choose to stay away from it. Who needs to look at 1,000,000 cat photos?
I was a pro photographer in the distant past. The idea of every shot counting went away with the Graflex and sheet film. Almost every photographer I have run across within the past forty years has been all about "Shoot everything, use multiple shots, and if you run out of film switch cameras. Then throw away the junk shots." How do you think the photos of some subjects are caught?

Back in the 1960s, I used an Agfa Paramat, stuck in my pocket with Tri-X and stopped down for focus to take photos when I wasn't set up. The Paramat was a half-frame 35mm, and I had 72 pics on a roll. As a kid, I used a Kodak Brownie, and the cost of film severely limited what I shot on vacations - some of those missed shots would be worth $$$ now.

Old 10-06-2023, 10:01 AM

20,413 posts, read 14,701,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
Me. I need to look at 1,000,000 cat photos. And better still, videos of them being ridiculous. One of the top reasons I'm still on social media. That, and art stuff (actual artists that I follow, not AI garbage) and listings of cool old houses and home decor ideas.

I don't think that most people who enjoy taking pictures with their phones, think of themselves as photographers. I'm pretty sure that most of us know the difference. I've taken plenty of nice pictures of interesting scenery, but I will never measure up to someone like Lars Leber. Not even close. I couldn't even begin to say how he creates his gorgeous images of Colorado scenery, but he makes a living at it, has won awards for it, and deserves both the money and the recognition. Me? I'm just lucky enough to get a nice photo now and then.

Mostly of my cat, come to think of it. But he IS the most photogenic creature in this house. /shrug

Old 10-06-2023, 03:33 PM

6,311 posts, read 4,210,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Me. I need to look at 1,000,000 cat photos. And better still, videos of them being ridiculous. One of the top reasons I'm still on social media. That, and art stuff (actual artists that I follow, not AI garbage) and listings of cool old houses and home decor ideas.

I don't think that most people who enjoy taking pictures with their phones, think of themselves as photographers. I'm pretty sure that most of us know the difference. I've taken plenty of nice pictures of interesting scenery, but I will never measure up to someone like Lars Leber. Not even close. I couldn't even begin to say how he creates his gorgeous images of Colorado scenery, but he makes a living at it, has won awards for it, and deserves both the money and the recognition. Me? I'm just lucky enough to get a nice photo now and then.

Mostly of my cat, come to think of it. But he IS the most photogenic creature in this house. /shrug
No. I’m an artist who uses photography for inspiration, sharing with specific groups, for letters or diary , I have licensed some of my photos for publications but I don’t claim to be a photographer. I’m an extremely visual person and just love photos my friends and family share, it inspires conversations and connectivity.

Old 10-08-2023, 11:49 AM

9,433 posts, read 11,191,727 times
Quote:
Disclaimer: I don't own -- nor do I wish to own -- a "smart" phone, and I am of the opinion that many/most owners/users are pathologically addicted to theirs. That said, am I overreacting? I've mentioned elsewhere my annoyance with fellow hikers who spend the entire hike staring at their phones and taking photos, particularly when they are unauthorized photos of ME, but I've noticed a huge increase in this activity nearly everywhere I go and in everything I do. Just this weekend, I find myself counting my lucky stars that I skipped two events for this reason after having seen the 20-50 pics (each) on FB, the first featuring middle-aged or older women in swimsuits. No thank you! The other involved a trip, and I don't necessarily want it publicized when I'm out of town. I get that many people today feel the need to document every moment of their (and their kids') lives for social media, and I figure that's their problem, but when I'm photographed without consent, then posted on a "public" status for all the world to see (not always in a flattering light) and often tagged as well, it feels very intrusive. I find myself hiding from these people who are always pointing a phone at someone instead of relaxing and enjoying the activity. I always have and still do happily pose for one group shot for posterity, but when I ask that it be limited to that, I'm the party-pooper. Is it just me?
I hate my smartphone and am hooked on it. So much of my life is contained in its little memory chip.

I may buy a flip phone to see if I can wean off this Satanic Device, as I call it. I hate these things, they definitely contribute to Space Cadet Syndrome. People's faces are buried in them. When they "drive," when they ride bikes, when they walk, when they go shopping. It's absolutely horrible and I hope there's a generation coming up that avoids these Satanic Devices.

I Hate My Phone, just in case I didn't mention it before.

Old 10-09-2023, 02:58 PM

2,127 posts, read 1,058,626 times
Quote:
Disclaimer: I don't own -- nor do I wish to own -- a "smart" phone, and I am of the opinion that many/most owners/users are pathologically addicted to theirs. That said, am I overreacting? I've mentioned elsewhere my annoyance with fellow hikers who spend the entire hike staring at their phones and taking photos, particularly when they are unauthorized photos of ME, but I've noticed a huge increase in this activity nearly everywhere I go and in everything I do. Just this weekend, I find myself counting my lucky stars that I skipped two events for this reason after having seen the 20-50 pics (each) on FB, the first featuring middle-aged or older women in swimsuits. No thank you! The other involved a trip, and I don't necessarily want it publicized when I'm out of town. I get that many people today feel the need to document every moment of their (and their kids') lives for social media, and I figure that's their problem, but when I'm photographed without consent, then posted on a "public" status for all the world to see (not always in a flattering light) and often tagged as well, it feels very intrusive. I find myself hiding from these people who are always pointing a phone at someone instead of relaxing and enjoying the activity. I always have and still do happily pose for one group shot for posterity, but when I ask that it be limited to that, I'm the party-pooper. Is it just me?
I agree with you and I just got on FB about 6 months ago. I do not live on my phone, and because I missed 2 calls one day, my friend un-friended me in real life! My screen time is 19 minutes per day, and I can't stand to see someone posting literally every 3-4 minutes of their entire day. People are not getting their work done, they aren't getting their housework done, all they do is post on Facebook, or all the other sites out there. Nobody wants to meet anyone naturally, so they resort to the onine dating sites. All of it is just aweful.

I did go to a restaurant a while back and there was a table of about 12 college kids. They had all their phones at the end of the table in a pile. I asked them what they were doing, and they said if anyone went for their phone during their 'friend' time with one another, that friend got to catch the tab for everyone. It was refreshing to see young adults being responsible and thoughtful in this time and age.

Old 10-09-2023, 04:46 PM

22,616 posts, read 47,741,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsamillion View Post

I did go to a restaurant a while back and there was a table of about 12 college kids. They had all their phones at the end of the table in a pile. I asked them what they were doing, and they said if anyone went for their phone during their 'friend' time with one another, that friend got to catch the tab for everyone. It was refreshing to see young adults being responsible and thoughtful in this time and age.
We started doing that way back before smartphones. It is very effective!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology