Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2023, 11:32 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times

Advertisements

Taking photos of the dead was an accepted practice in the 1800s up until as late as the 1920s. Then there are the photos of "the iceman," Tut's mummy, bog man, Peruvian mummies, headhunter's heads. All of those still pass muster these days, except the last may be more a pass the mustard type of response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2023, 01:38 PM

4,604 posts, read 2,992,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Disclaimer: I don't own -- nor do I wish to own -- a "smart" phone, and I am of the opinion that many/most owners/users are pathologically addicted to theirs. That said, am I overreacting? I've mentioned elsewhere my annoyance with fellow hikers who spend the entire hike staring at their phones and taking photos, particularly when they are unauthorized photos of ME, but I've noticed a huge increase in this activity nearly everywhere I go and in everything I do. Just this weekend, I find myself counting my lucky stars that I skipped two events for this reason after having seen the 20-50 pics (each) on FB, the first featuring middle-aged or older women in swimsuits. No thank you! The other involved a trip, and I don't necessarily want it publicized when I'm out of town. I get that many people today feel the need to document every moment of their (and their kids') lives for social media, and I figure that's their problem, but when I'm photographed without consent, then posted on a "public" status for all the world to see (not always in a flattering light) and often tagged as well, it feels very intrusive. I find myself hiding from these people who are always pointing a phone at someone instead of relaxing and enjoying the activity. I always have and still do happily pose for one group shot for posterity, but when I ask that it be limited to that, I'm the party-pooper. Is it just me?
I too am mystified that a gadget that's only been around about 15 years now seems to be considered not only essential to have,
but essential to have in hand at every waking moment. I even see runners carrying smart phones -- why?
What are they afraid they'll miss if they leave the phone at home while they run?

And I love to hike, though I normally hike by myself... it's easier to enjoy nature without hearing people talking, etc.
But of course I see other hikers with phones in hand... perhaps relying on the phone to tell them where a trail junction will be,
rather than having to look at a map or study the lay of the land. Ditto for relying on phones for driving directions...
no need to learn the city or neighborhood, or even to know which direction is north... the phone will tell you
what road to take and where to turn.

It all seems very strange. How did 2 million years of evolution on the African savanna set us up for this?

Last edited by NW4me; 09-09-2023 at 01:49 PM..

Old 09-09-2023, 01:48 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
I even see runners carrying smart phones -- why? What are they afraid they'll miss if they leave the phone at home while they run?
A smart phone is essentially a pocket computer. The runners might be using an app to track their runs, and probably also listening to music. It's a very convenient tool, so it's not mystifying that people will use it.

Old 09-09-2023, 02:05 PM

10,721 posts, read 5,658,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Taking photos of the dead was an accepted practice in the 1800s up until as late as the 1920s. Then there are the photos of "the iceman," Tut's mummy, bog man, Peruvian mummies, headhunter's heads. All of those still pass muster these days, except the last may be more a pass the mustard type of response.
I have a number of shrunken head photos in my collection, that I took at a museum in Ecuador. One of them with red hair, was identified by historians as a white missionary from the late 20’s or early 30’s.

Old 09-09-2023, 03:05 PM

88,538 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
So no more "rest in peace"?
LOL! Nope! The deceased are subject to phone snipers, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I didn't even know graving was a thing.
Find-A-Grave started years ago with the graves of the famous and infamous. As Internet genealogy grew in popularity, the site began to fill with photos of the graves of ordinary people. Ancestry owns it now.

A few years ago, I was visiting a local historical society and got involved in a conversation with the docent. She said her family had come from the same area of the state from which I had just moved and that her brother now in another part of the country wanted her to back up to a church cemetery and photograph the graves of their ancestors.

She thought it was ridiculous. "Who does THAT?"

"My sister", I replied.

She gave me her bro's email, I gave it to my sister, they connected, she had a new old graveyard to check out, and he got pics. Win-win.

That sister would kill you if you posted a photo of her without asking.

Old 09-09-2023, 03:07 PM

88,538 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I have a number of shrunken head photos in my collection, that I took at a museum in Ecuador. One of them with red hair, was identified by historians as a white missionary from the late 20’s or early 30’s.
OK, now that is cool.

Old 09-09-2023, 03:11 PM

7,505 posts, read 3,227,551 times
Quote:
Courtesy? What’s the issue? When you go out in public, you are seemingly OK with the fact that anyone within eyeshot can see you. Why then are you wringing your hands in angst over the possibility of someone seeing a photo of you out in public?

This whole issue makes no sense, and is really much ado about nothing.
In other posts Otterhere has spoken of a 30 pound weight gain. She probably does not want that documented before she gets it off. That's probably the whole unspoken issue here.

Old 09-09-2023, 03:14 PM

7,505 posts, read 3,227,551 times
I took so many pictures of my own cats my Apple iPhone made a video series for me. I'm new to iPhone. So, don't ask me how that works.

Old 09-09-2023, 03:26 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
That’s absurd. People have ALWAYS photographed the activities of others. It’s part of the entire history of photography.
I was talking specifically about home movies, in response to someone else's mention of film (or "reel").

Old 09-09-2023, 03:29 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I remember my dad videoing me in the marching band. So, no, it has always been the same. 50 years ago same, same...
No, your example is still in the "family" category. But I suppose that photographing or filming a parade in general or state fair, or other public event, would record a lot of strangers. But the hours and hours of "home movies" people had were mostly of family events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology