Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-09-2023, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Elsewhere
88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Reputation: 115058

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I took so many pictures of my own cats my Apple iPhone made a video series for me. I'm new to iPhone. So, don't ask me how that works.
Did you ask the cats for permission.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-09-2023, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Northern California
4,606 posts, read 2,996,667 times
Reputation: 8364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I took so many pictures of my own cats my Apple iPhone made a video series for me.
I'm new to iPhone. So, don't ask me how that works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Did you ask the cats for permission.
The cats are good with it.... they want to feed our addiction to cat videos.
Look how they've taken over Youtube.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2023, 04:22 PM
 
17,301 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Reputation: 29643
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Disclaimer: I don't own -- nor do I wish to own -- a "smart" phone, and I am of the opinion that many/most owners/users are pathologically addicted to theirs. That said, am I overreacting? I've mentioned elsewhere my annoyance with fellow hikers who spend the entire hike staring at their phones and taking photos, particularly when they are unauthorized photos of ME, but I've noticed a huge increase in this activity nearly everywhere I go and in everything I do. Just this weekend, I find myself counting my lucky stars that I skipped two events for this reason after having seen the 20-50 pics (each) on FB, the first featuring middle-aged or older women in swimsuits. No thank you! The other involved a trip, and I don't necessarily want it publicized when I'm out of town. I get that many people today feel the need to document every moment of their (and their kids') lives for social media, and I figure that's their problem, but when I'm photographed without consent, then posted on a "public" status for all the world to see (not always in a flattering light) and often tagged as well, it feels very intrusive. I find myself hiding from these people who are always pointing a phone at someone instead of relaxing and enjoying the activity. I always have and still do happily pose for one group shot for posterity, but when I ask that it be limited to that, I'm the party-pooper. Is it just me?
yep............its just you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2023, 04:28 PM
 
10,730 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Reputation: 10863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OK, now that is cool.
It’s certainly not something that you see every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2023, 04:32 PM
 
10,730 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Reputation: 10863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I was talking specifically about home movies, in response to someone else's mention of film (or "reel").
Do you believe that there is a fundamental difference, in the context of the issues in this thread, between movies and still photography?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2023, 04:32 PM
 
Location: PNW
7,521 posts, read 3,236,257 times
Reputation: 10687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Did you ask the cats for permission.
No, they are captive prisoners. Or, I am. I get confused about that -- LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2023, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Elsewhere
88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Reputation: 115058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
No, they are captive prisoners. Or, I am. I get confused about that -- LOL.
It happens without us even realizing it...
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2023, 09:08 PM
 
Location: Florida
350 posts, read 196,334 times
Reputation: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Courtesy? What’s the issue? When you go out in public, you are seemingly OK with the fact that anyone within eyeshot can see you. Why then are you wringing your hands in angst over the possibility of someone seeing a photo of you out in public?

This whole issue makes no sense, and is really much ado about nothing.
Really with the smug mansplaining and condescending mockery?

"OH silly girl. Being OUT IN PUBLIC is the same as getting your photo taken almost naked and spread all over all the social media platforms among strangers AND aquaintences."

it's her PREOGATIVE to feel uncomfortable with having her body advertized on friggin social media.

NOW she gets to NOT swim because her stupid crowd can't resist uploading every inch of their lives onto social media and not giving a CRAP about her wishes.

Do you really just NOT GET THAT PART or just feel like mocking her some more even though you're incorrect?

You don't have the right to tell women how to FEEL.

At the phone company they INSISTED the new class get photos taken and HUNG FROM THE CEILING.

One girl kept refusing until they threatened her with disciplinary action. Being new she had no union protection yet.

What happened? HER STALKER'S BROTHER worked on the cleaning crew overnight and told the stalker about it.

A REAL stalker who she had been to court over and was punished.

So not everyone is such a know-it-all as they think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2023, 06:30 AM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
25,567 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Reputation: 37285
I had to smile.
My stepdaughter and her husband always take pictures no matter where they go. Beach, ball game, vacation, dinner - you name it.
And every. single. time. it is the same picture. A dual selfie, framing two faces grinning into the camera. The background can never be seen and guests are almost never included. So the snapshot could have been taken from anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2023, 11:52 AM
 
6,586 posts, read 4,970,443 times
Reputation: 8035
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Disclaimer: I don't own -- nor do I wish to own -- a "smart" phone, and I am of the opinion that many/most owners/users are pathologically addicted to theirs. That said, am I overreacting? I've mentioned elsewhere my annoyance with fellow hikers who spend the entire hike staring at their phones and taking photos, particularly when they are unauthorized photos of ME, but I've noticed a huge increase in this activity nearly everywhere I go and in everything I do. Just this weekend, I find myself counting my lucky stars that I skipped two events for this reason after having seen the 20-50 pics (each) on FB, the first featuring middle-aged or older women in swimsuits. No thank you! The other involved a trip, and I don't necessarily want it publicized when I'm out of town. I get that many people today feel the need to document every moment of their (and their kids') lives for social media, and I figure that's their problem, but when I'm photographed without consent, then posted on a "public" status for all the world to see (not always in a flattering light) and often tagged as well, it feels very intrusive. I find myself hiding from these people who are always pointing a phone at someone instead of relaxing and enjoying the activity. I always have and still do happily pose for one group shot for posterity, but when I ask that it be limited to that, I'm the party-pooper. Is it just me?

I get what you're saying. I've been photographed for work and I could sometimes ask them not to get me in the shots for the dinners we had for awards ceremonies. I would do that with my friends if it became an issue as well. I just don't like my picture taken.

I have my facebook setup to ask me what I want to do if anyone tags me. I can accept it or not, and I usually don't. I probably have about 20 pix sitting on there on some friends pages that I can see, but my other friends can't. If I find them unflattering I've just asked them to remove it and it's never been an issue.

The whole nose-in-your-phone thing.... it's really a huge issue on public paths around here. I try very hard not to go out riding at lunch time as the nearby paths are full of clueless people and when I call out to them that I am behind them and passing it usually makes them jump.

I also don't publicize when I am out of town and like someone else said, I typically take landscape pictures without people whenever possible. That said 95% of the time I use my actual camera for photos and leave my phone in my pocket for emergencies. I typically use my phone when I want to text a picture to someone right then instead of waiting until I'm done for the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

She gave me her bro's email, I gave it to my sister, they connected, she had a new old graveyard to check out, and he got pics. Win-win.

That sister would kill you if you posted a photo of her without asking.

That's really cool and I can see myself doing that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:02 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top