Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2023, 12:27 PM

10,730 posts, read 5,664,235 times

Advertisements

You seem a bit confused, as your rant doesn’t seem to have anything to do with what I wrote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxrivers View Post
Really with the smug mansplaining and condescending mockery?
There was no mansplaining nor mockery in my post.

Quote:
"OH silly girl. Being OUT IN PUBLIC is the same as getting your photo taken almost naked and spread all over all the social media platforms among strangers AND aquaintences."
I didn’t say anything remotely similar to your quote above.

Quote:
it's her PREOGATIVE to feel uncomfortable with having her body advertized on friggin social media.
I didn’t say say anything about this, nor even remotely related.

Quote:
NOW she gets to NOT swim because her stupid crowd can't resist uploading every inch of their lives onto social media and not giving a CRAP about her wishes.
What a silly, nonsensical conclusion. Of course she can swim. And she can do so whether she is with her crowd, or not.

Quote:
Do you really just NOT GET THAT PART or just feel like mocking her some more even though you're incorrect?
What part don’t I get? That you have claimed she can’t go swimming? There is nothing in my post that is incorrect.

Quote:
You don't have the right to tell women how to FEEL.
I never told any women, nor anyone else, how to feel.

Quote:
At the phone company they INSISTED the new class get photos taken and HUNG FROM THE CEILING.

One girl kept refusing until they threatened her with disciplinary action. Being new she had no union protection yet.

What happened? HER STALKER'S BROTHER worked on the cleaning crew overnight and told the stalker about it.

A REAL stalker who she had been to court over and was punished.

So not everyone is such a know-it-all as they think.
And again, something else that has nothing to do with what I actually wrote.

You sound like you have a lot of unresolved issues. Are you seeing anyone that could help you with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2023, 12:37 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I get what you're saying. I've been photographed for work and I could sometimes ask them not to get me in the shots for the dinners we had for awards ceremonies. I would do that with my friends if it became an issue as well. I just don't like my picture taken.

I have my facebook setup to ask me what I want to do if anyone tags me. I can accept it or not, and I usually don't. I probably have about 20 pix sitting on there on some friends pages that I can see, but my other friends can't. If I find them unflattering I've just asked them to remove it and it's never been an issue.

The whole nose-in-your-phone thing.... it's really a huge issue on public paths around here. I try very hard not to go out riding at lunch time as the nearby paths are full of clueless people and when I call out to them that I am behind them and passing it usually makes them jump.

I also don't publicize when I am out of town and like someone else said, I typically take landscape pictures without people whenever possible. That said 95% of the time I use my actual camera for photos and leave my phone in my pocket for emergencies. I typically use my phone when I want to text a picture to someone right then instead of waiting until I'm done for the day.

That's really cool and I can see myself doing that!
We always loved cemeteries. Used to go with our mother to look at the ones we found whenever we were on vacation in the mountains when we were kids.

I have to get my picture taken at work events sometimes and I hate it, but I am with my employers and it's expected. It's usually me with the husband, wife, and son. I am an overly tall woman, and they are Pakistani (though son was born here) so I tower over them and look like Baby Huey among the normal sized chickens. Seeing photos of myself makes me cringe inside, so I just don't look anymore.

I walk regularly, two to three miles at a time, so I always have my phone because I listen to audiobooks and podcasts while walking. But I am not staring at it. I might stop and snap a pic of an interesting bird or unusual mushroom, but I am always walking alone so I don't photograph people anyway.

Old 09-10-2023, 03:10 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We always loved cemeteries. Used to go with our mother to look at the ones we found whenever we were on vacation in the mountains when we were kids.

I have to get my picture taken at work events sometimes and I hate it, but I am with my employers and it's expected. It's usually me with the husband, wife, and son. I am an overly tall woman, and they are Pakistani (though son was born here) so I tower over them and look like Baby Huey among the normal sized chickens. Seeing photos of myself makes me cringe inside, so I just don't look anymore.

I walk regularly, two to three miles at a time, so I always have my phone because I listen to audiobooks and podcasts while walking. But I am not staring at it. I might stop and snap a pic of an interesting bird or unusual mushroom, but I am always walking alone so I don't photograph people anyway.
I got it from my mother, too. And the fact that we used to travel to my grandparents, both sides, often twice a month in the summer. My paternal grandmother died before I was born, and the last thing we did before we hit the road was to visit her grave.

We did it so often that when my mother and I went up to see if we could find it, I made the joke of grandma will tell me exactly where she is and I’ll just know to stop the car. And I did. Because I still remembered it. Did freak out mom a little.

And the area where I live now is very safe, but frankly, churches aren’t what they used to be. My father was a very active member in the church when I grew up, and I also went to kindergarten there. It wasn’t 24 seven mind you, but people showed up at the church at 8:30 in the morning and worked a full day until five. There were meetings, and hospital visitations and people in and out of the church all day. That doesn’t seem to happen anymore. You go past a church during the week and it’s empty and it’s locked up and there are no cars outside. So when I go to a church to visit a church yard, I am the only car there. And I feel perfectly safe.

I was at the church where my parents were buried, and was surprised to see that there were people there. As I was getting out of the car some man waved to me… if I see him again I’ll go up and introduce myself. I checked the website, it was the minister.

I have two sisters. One wants nothing to do with going to graveyards. The other doesn’t like going to graveyards were near and dear family are. She can go to ones where there are people that we don’t know other than their names. May I like nothing better than a road trip.

Old 09-10-2023, 06:15 PM

20,378 posts, read 14,651,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Simply closing the blinds or curtains, just as you would do on the ground floor windows of you house, solves this problem.

But no, better to go to the internet and be outraged. . .
"go to the internet and be outraged"
Dude, I was already here, I promise...I did not make a special trip.

We're all free to mention things that we feel are relevant to the sentiments discussed in a thread, do you have a problem with that?

I personally think that it sucks that people don't have as much of a reasonable expectation of privacy, as we once did. I get it, no one is putting the tech back in the box, it's here to stay, it's life now. I don't have to love it though.

Nor do I wish to lurk in my house with my blinds closed and no natural light out of concern some little turd with a drone might come peering into my windows on the upper story of the house. As a matter of fact I hope to one day own a house on a private bit of property where if I want to be arse naked in my backyard I can. It is illegal to use drones to peek into windows, not like a cop is gonna do squat about it. And for that matter, the windows on the ground floor, believe it or not, most places have laws against being a peeping tom, so just because the blinds are open does not mean you can lurk right up to the window and peer inside, legally.

I think that property owners should be allowed to destroy drones that come onto the airspace above their property so long as they don't violate the law in so doing, like if it's illegal to discharge a firearm unless your life is in danger in the city limits, you can't shoot one...but if it gets close enough to whack with a baseball bat, that sucker ought to be FAIR GAME.

Of course, I'm one of those who covers up all the webcams on things with tape, unless I am knowingly using them, so...

Old 09-10-2023, 06:28 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,003,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Of course, I'm one of those who covers up all the webcams on things with tape,
Not odd or weird. Even Zuckerberg does it. I even put black tape on the front camera of my phone.

I'm glad Google Glass never caught on. The concept really bothered me and I fantasized about knocking them off people's faces if I ever saw one in public.

Old 09-10-2023, 07:52 PM

Quote:
"go to the internet and be outraged"
Dude, I was already here, I promise...I did not make a special trip.

We're all free to mention things that we feel are relevant to the sentiments discussed in a thread, do you have a problem with that?
You are free to mention anything you want, and others are free to comment on that. It’s the nature of a discussion forum. Do you have a problem with that?

Quote:
I personally think that it sucks that people don't have as much of a reasonable expectation of privacy, as we once did. I get it, no one is putting the tech back in the box, it's here to stay, it's life now. I don't have to love it though.
One has never had an expectation of privacy when in public, and those in public are perfectly free to look at anything that they can see from that public space. It’s always been this way.

Quote:
Nor do I wish to lurk in my house with my blinds closed and no natural light out of concern some little turd with a drone might come peering into my windows on the upper story of the house. As a matter of fact I hope to one day own a house on a private bit of property where if I want to be arse naked in my backyard I can. It is illegal to use drones to peek into windows, not like a cop is gonna do squat about it. And for that matter, the windows on the ground floor, believe it or not, most places have laws against being a peeping tom, so just because the blinds are open does not mean you can lurk right up to the window and peer inside, legally.
If you believe that I’ve said or suggested otherwise, quote me.

Old 09-10-2023, 10:13 PM

20,378 posts, read 14,651,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
You are free to mention anything you want, and others are free to comment on that. It’s the nature of a discussion forum. Do you have a problem with that?

One has never had an expectation of privacy when in public, and those in public are perfectly free to look at anything that they can see from that public space. It’s always been this way.

If you believe that I’ve said or suggested otherwise, quote me.

Right.

But if you can't see inside my ground floor windows without trespassing onto my property, then I don't think that it's fine to send a piece of surveillance tech in your place. To those windows, OR to the ones on the higher floors.

As for the nature of discussions on forums, obviously pointless crap posting is always an option, but at some point it's like Monty Python's Argument Clinic sketch, only far less funny.

"I could be arguing in my spare time."

Old 09-11-2023, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Right.

But if you can't see inside my ground floor windows without trespassing onto my property, then I don't think that it's fine to send a piece of surveillance tech in your place. To those windows, OR to the ones on the higher floors.

As for the nature of discussions on forums, obviously pointless crap posting is always an option, but at some point it's like Monty Python's Argument Clinic sketch, only far less funny.

"I could be arguing in my spare time."
No one except you is talking about trespassing. Why would you do that?

Old 09-11-2023, 10:23 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
It hit me the other day that maybe what the concern is that some of us don't want the image we see of ourselves destroyed when it is posted all over the Net for everyone but especially ourselves to see.

Ie, when I get home at the end of the day and after I have released my hair from its ponytail, I do eventually go for pigtails, picturing 70s Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader Tami Barber. Do I actually look like her? No, of course not, but who is going to tell me otherwise, dash that fantasy..........

It is an interesting characteristic that we don't see just how we look unless we look in a mirror and perhaps, that is something we don't want to see. Alas, though, our world has changed so such mirrors can be created anywhere, anytime.

UNFORTUNATELY, if that is correct, it runs into the problem of living in a society where it is not fact but an interpretation of that fact such as with the rules and laws we live by.

Old 09-11-2023, 04:44 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
I'm "narcissistic" and "shallow" (according to some) because I DON'T want my picture all over the Internet? Gotta love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology