Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 09:41 PM

2,955 posts, read 928,365 times

Advertisements

I think we have a lot of power to influence the world's vibrations.

Let's say I make a constant effort to keep my mind calm, at peace, to be even minded. I influence my circle of friends, relatives, neighbors, even pets, plants etc. Then all these people influence their own friends, relatives, neighbors etc. More people are at peace, even minded. All neighborhoods, the whole city, the entire country etc.

Peace in this world starts with peace in my heart. I really believe this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2023, 12:41 PM

560 posts, read 205,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I find this forum is helpful like a support group! It is informative how some people deal with grief over calamities by shutting off the world. But the world never goes away, it is always with us. It can make us humble to know how little power we have to effect change. And when it does happen what a blessing it is.
I see you have cooled down on your anti-semetic posts in the other forums (I only know because we post in the same areas). That's a good thing. "Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they."

Old 11-23-2023, 01:05 PM

15,801 posts, read 6,861,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm108 View Post
I think we have a lot of power to influence the world's vibrations.

Let's say I make a constant effort to keep my mind calm, at peace, to be even minded. I influence my circle of friends, relatives, neighbors, even pets, plants etc. Then all these people influence their own friends, relatives, neighbors etc. More people are at peace, even minded. All neighborhoods, the whole city, the entire country etc.

Peace in this world starts with peace in my heart. I really believe this.
I agree. The opposite is true as well.

Old 12-27-2023, 11:33 PM

8,444 posts, read 3,701,392 times
Quote:
I left my fitness class this morning, grateful for the hour of an intense work out, focusing on my breathing and counting, which took my mind off the news. My radio is mostly tuned to NPR and the discussion began when i started driving. More than anything else it is the children crying, screaming, asking for their parents, their family, images of them with bandages for their wounds, war wounds !, the babies, the hostages - 85 years old, but most of all the lost and traumatized and murdered children. It weighs heavily on me, I was moaning and crying and had to stop my car.
You’re essentially obsessing or ruminating over that which you can’t change; obviously, it’s unhealthy to allow anyone or anything to dominate your thoughts, particularly things you can’t control. There will always be bad (and good) things happening in the world.

In other words, why not think about it less and do more (to help others). What good are tears, literally or figuratively, sans action; else, at the end of the day, you’re only thinking of yourself and how others’ pain/suffering affects you.

Old 12-30-2023, 05:12 PM

12,881 posts, read 13,546,698 times
It is unrealistic to expect that after some 5000 years in our lifetime that part of the world will finally be at peace. We are just getting a front row seat to, "Joshua fit the battle, or go down Moses." The news media warns me that what I am about to see or hear might be unsettling when they report or the gory details but I am still unmoved. I am not a sociopath I just don't have a superiority complex and believe that I (or we) have the power to end to 5000 years of Joshua fit the battle or Go down Moses.

Old 02-03-2024, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
You’re essentially obsessing or ruminating over that which you can’t change; obviously, it’s unhealthy to allow anyone or anything to dominate your thoughts, particularly things you can’t control. There will always be bad (and good) things happening in the world.

In other words, why not think about it less and do more (to help others). What good are tears, literally or figuratively, sans action; else, at the end of the day, you’re only thinking of yourself and how others’ pain/suffering affects you.
This is true. One can carry signs, protest, yell at Biden as if we are doing something. But truly none of that will have any effect on what is occurring, for anyone, anywhere. The world does what it does, and we really have very little control over it even if we pretend we do. The only real control we have is over our own mind, our emotions and needs, and our own actions. The only peace is what we find in ourself.

Old 02-03-2024, 05:21 PM

8,444 posts, read 3,701,392 times
Quote:
It weighs heavily on me, I was moaning and crying and had to stop my car.
Quote:
The only real control we have is over our own mind, our emotions and needs, and our own actions.
Then why do you allow it to weigh heavily and moan/cry about it; so much so, you had to stop your car. Hence the reason I suggested you take control by way of action i.e. helping others and spending less time being caught up in your head about that which you don’t control. When you allow yourself to be overwhelmed, empathy can’t be transformed into compassion.

Old 02-03-2024, 05:32 PM

6,277 posts, read 4,139,273 times
Doom scrolling to the point it makes you ill is unhealthy and doesn’t do anything useful for those you are crying about. If you want to help then donate to organizations who can help in a way that meets their needs, vote, and stop subjecting yourself to doom news . Doesn’t mean you have to be unaware but perhaps listening or reading or watching specifics has to go for a while.

Old 02-03-2024, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Then why do you allow it to weigh heavily and moan/cry about it; so much so, you had to stop your car. Hence the reason I suggested you take control by way of action i.e. helping others and spending less time being caught up in your head about that which you don’t control. When you allow yourself to be overwhelmed, empathy can’t be transformed into compassion.
Donating to causes and volunteering for community service is also a feel good move for our own self, which we do nevertheless, knowing my donations to the food bank and shelters is a pittance compared the great need. Food insecurity has only increased in the last year, i know because i just did a story on that in my wealthy community, which is building a second food pantry. Homelessness as well. Children are going hungry when they dont get to school, and school absenteeism is increasing. Hearing reports like that can still make me cry. And yes my crying is not helping anything, does not change anything, and is only self indulgent.
Quote:
What good are tears, literally or figuratively, sans action; else, at the end of the day, you’re only thinking of yourself and how others’ pain/suffering affects you.
I agree totally.

Old 02-03-2024, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Doom scrolling to the point it makes you ill is unhealthy and doesn’t do anything useful for those you are crying about. If you want to help then donate to organizations who can help in a way that meets their needs, vote, and stop subjecting yourself to doom news . Doesn’t mean you have to be unaware but perhaps listening or reading or watching specifics has to go for a while.
I agree. There is constant stream of bad news lately, i do have to turn off the radio and drive in silence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology