Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2023, 01:39 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Ha! I'd guess it's a fad of some sort. I notice that nature shows filmed in Australia, almost all the women do upspeak as I call it. I think it's contagious. They didn't talk like that 20 years ago.

I ran a thread about this and similar, I think I called it Squeaky Voices etc. I find upspeak quite irritating and rather peculiar, but i guess a gal's gotta do what a gal's gotta do.
I notice it a lot more among women than men.
yes, you are right, more women do it, than men....to be honest, when I was still working, I tried, it and just could not, lol, although there were some women in their early 50's doing it...who didn't do it before, but I believe there is a culture, that does it, ending each sentence as though it were a question i a high pitched sound? I cannot for the life of me, remember the culture that does it....and maybe it is Aussies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2023, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
I hear that as some kind of a question, a needing for approval, an encouragement to agree with them. A bit like saying, "Right", after everything.

Just stupid really, and showing that something's lacking.
some of the posters here have mentioned that it depends on who your hanging out with....I found that women in their late 40's early 50's who had girls in college or senior high did it....do it isn't really a generational thing, and yes, it depends on who your hanging out with....I guess.

Old 11-05-2023, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Our WH press secretary does that to a point that almost drives me to that. Of course I can't.
yes, she does.....

Old 11-06-2023, 07:15 AM

9,405 posts, read 11,153,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Case in point, HGTV Christina Hall, Uptalk in this commercial spot:
From Anaheim, CA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhPdfHS3BK0
No upspeak here, as HokieFan notes below. Just a sappy vomit-inducing barfo ad that I cut off quickly. And who turns the water on before getting into the shower, DUH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Upspeak has been a topic of conversation for many years.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28708526

https://www.npr.org/2015/07/23/42560...-womens-voices

https://www.inhersight.com/blog/cult...onalism/uptalk

IMO, upspeak is ending a statement with a rising inflection. As if you're asking a question instead of making a statement.

I heard zero upspeak in that video.
Ten fo dat.

Old 11-06-2023, 07:33 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
I notice it most in women and gay men.

More concerning to me than upspeak or vocal fry, though, is the puzzling change of preposition use among younger people. For instance, instead of "bored with," they now say "bored of." Instead of "charged with," it's now "charged for." Even newscasters do it.

I would assume it's just the increase in general illiteracy, but they ALL use the same incorrect prepositions. Why???

Old 11-06-2023, 07:41 AM

2,024 posts, read 979,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I mean... I get annoyed. Sure! But I tend to have a lens of humor that I see my own annoyance through. I don't take those feelings very seriously.

It's like my inner "angry Muppet" flailing around.

But then, so, we see another human psych thingie at work here... Look at us, seeking our monkey-validation tokens by saying, "Hey, this thing annoys me! Doesn't it annoy you also?" "Yes, yes, and me as well." LOL

We're so silly.
I find that people who engage in political discussions a lot and post in political forums tend to have high levels of being annoyed about lots of things. Correlation or causation? Hmmm.

Old 11-06-2023, 07:56 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
I find that people who engage in political discussions a lot and post in political forums tend to have high levels of being annoyed about lots of things. Correlation or causation? Hmmm.
Seriously. Though, to confess, lots of little things irritate me, but mentally I acknowledge "first world problems" and move on.

There are so many genuinely horrible things going on, that I'm kinda grateful for the little annoyances.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-06-2023, 09:53 AM

2,024 posts, read 979,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Seriously. Though, to confess, lots of little things irritate me, but mentally I acknowledge "first world problems" and move on.

There are so many genuinely horrible things going on, that I'm kinda grateful for the little annoyances.
I feel the same. Nothing I've posted should suggest that I don't get annoyed from time to time. But it's good to have an ability to step back from the feeling and see that you're not powerless over it.

Old 11-06-2023, 10:43 AM

20,366 posts, read 14,644,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
As both a language nerd and someone with background chops in psychology, I'm going to suggest that while your post is well-intentioned, you have veered off on a side tangent and are vehemently engaging in a straw man fallacy "acceptance of everyone" argument. Aside from the fact that "acceptance of everyone" is another classic fallacy, it is entertaining, but off-topic.

Language is probably the most powerful weapon in the arsenal of humankind. It has killed more people than any bomb, past or future. "The pen is mightier than the sword" is more than a casual aphorism.

What may seem to you as harmless quirks or annoyances are often (not always, but often) signs of other things going on. Cadence and entrainment can be signs of cult activity or formation. Acceptance within groups is often predicated upon "talking the talk."

https://www.gangenforcement.com/gang-terminology.html

https://www.christiantoday.com/artic...yers/97770.htm

The entire P& O.C. forum is rife with catchphrases and speech patterns that are exclusionary and bordering (as much as mods can hold it back) on hate speech.

Affectations are to be taken seriously. Remember "dittoheads?" Remember "peacenicks?" The person using them has donned them as a cloak for some reason. They may simply think it fashionable, they may want acceptance within a certain group, they may be attempting to gather a following. It isn't to be shrugged off with a "whatever." The use of advanced language techniques in political and religious rhetoric has deluded billions of people over the years.

Pushing back against some affectations is an important social dynamic. If the layperson characterizes some of the worst of it as more than annoying, there may be some truth to that assessment. That you are annoyed with that, as you state in your lead sentence, is your own personal issue.

The subject of the thread is affectations of speech, not language history or speech impediments or language evolution.
I can appreciate a language nerd, I have a love of language myself as a lifelong rapacious reader. But I think that you know, we were not talking about gangs or cults here. And young generations since time out of mind have come up with their own slang and mannerisms, and such develops in various regions as well. Like I said early on, I think that "upspeak" is a collision between the old "Valley Girl" thing and perhaps some input from the gay community and even somehow Australians. One certainly hears it in all of the above.

It hasn't got much to do with gangs and cults. And I would not say that even gang or cult membership is necessarily a sign of mental illness in the typical member, because it's more a matter of people preying on the desperate or vulnerable in ways that are all too human. Exploiting very common and typical human wiring for their own ends.

And, too, adopting the speech patterns and mannerisms of whoever you associate with...it's pretty normal mirroring. We can talk about this from a psych perspective of how human brains work. They had an experiment where they sounded a bell in a waiting room, and planted "actors" stood up, and the uninformed study subject started just doing it, too. It is quite human and normal to look around us at what others are doing, and to mimic it. When you are a member of such a socially interdependent species, that is just basic survival stuff. Group belonging, while we may all try and act like we're too cool for it, is actually a strength, not a weakness.

Of course, a step beyond that, I think as we mature, finding a group where we can feel safe, authentic, and accepted for who we are without having to sacrifice too much of the self, that's the good stuff. But that's way beyond the scope of a thread about annoying speech mannerisms.

I just get a bit exasperated when the initiation of a thread in a forum labeled "Psychology" seems to only mean, to some, "who are we calling mentally unhealthy, today?" And it isn't a straw man argument, people DO THIS. It might be a little passive aggressive of me not to have quoted a specific comment and pointed at it and said, "You! Cut it out!" but I wasn't really trying to start a whole argument. (insert Monty Python Argument Clinic reference in my head...here.)

People can be annoying, or annoyed, without being mentally unwell. Or in a cult, or a gang, or whatever. And younger generations have annoyed older ones forever, have they not?

Old 11-06-2023, 11:00 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Judging by the number of times I see Boomers disparaged by younger people on forums such as this, I'd say it's clearly a two-way street!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology