Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2023, 08:28 PM

28,840 posts, read 30,095,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Judging by the number of times I see Boomers disparaged by younger people on forums such as this, I'd say it's clearly a two-way street!
I honestly don't think its a matter of Boomers being disparaged....and yes, I'm certain it can be a 2 way street....but, there are just certain things that make the hairs on your neck stand up, regardless of any generation, we can all certainly get on each other's nerves....from time to time....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2023, 08:57 PM

88,060 posts, read 83,928,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I notice it most in women and gay men.

More concerning to me than upspeak or vocal fry, though, is the puzzling change of preposition use among younger people. For instance, instead of "bored with," they now say "bored of." Instead of "charged with," it's now "charged for." Even newscasters do it.

I would assume it's just the increase in general illiteracy, but they ALL use the same incorrect prepositions. Why???
It's a change in the little words. "One in the same" instead of "one and the same", "all of the sudden" instead of "all of a sudden", "on my period" instead of "having my period". Weird little changes.

Old 11-07-2023, 10:22 AM

23,533 posts, read 69,968,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I can appreciate a language nerd, I have a love of language myself as a lifelong rapacious reader. But I think that you know, we were not talking about gangs or cults here. And young generations since time out of mind have come up with their own slang and mannerisms, and such develops in various regions as well. Like I said early on, I think that "upspeak" is a collision between the old "Valley Girl" thing and perhaps some input from the gay community and even somehow Australians. One certainly hears it in all of the above.

It hasn't got much to do with gangs and cults. And I would not say that even gang or cult membership is necessarily a sign of mental illness in the typical member, because it's more a matter of people preying on the desperate or vulnerable in ways that are all too human. Exploiting very common and typical human wiring for their own ends.

And, too, adopting the speech patterns and mannerisms of whoever you associate with...it's pretty normal mirroring. We can talk about this from a psych perspective of how human brains work. They had an experiment where they sounded a bell in a waiting room, and planted "actors" stood up, and the uninformed study subject started just doing it, too. It is quite human and normal to look around us at what others are doing, and to mimic it. When you are a member of such a socially interdependent species, that is just basic survival stuff. Group belonging, while we may all try and act like we're too cool for it, is actually a strength, not a weakness.

Of course, a step beyond that, I think as we mature, finding a group where we can feel safe, authentic, and accepted for who we are without having to sacrifice too much of the self, that's the good stuff. But that's way beyond the scope of a thread about annoying speech mannerisms.

I just get a bit exasperated when the initiation of a thread in a forum labeled "Psychology" seems to only mean, to some, "who are we calling mentally unhealthy, today?" And it isn't a straw man argument, people DO THIS. It might be a little passive aggressive of me not to have quoted a specific comment and pointed at it and said, "You! Cut it out!" but I wasn't really trying to start a whole argument. (insert Monty Python Argument Clinic reference in my head...here.)

People can be annoying, or annoyed, without being mentally unwell. Or in a cult, or a gang, or whatever. And younger generations have annoyed older ones forever, have they not?
You addressed my concerns about your previous post. As for the parting rhetorical question - I have no way of knowing. I'm not THAT old...

FWIW, and a side subject, mirroring works two ways. It can also be an induction technique for those who know how to use it.

Old 11-07-2023, 11:38 AM

20,235 posts, read 14,461,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's a change in the little words. "One in the same" instead of "one and the same", "all of the sudden" instead of "all of a sudden", "on my period" instead of "having my period". Weird little changes.
I've been watching a ton of British TV lately. Mostly the "quiz shows" or whatever...though maybe that's not the best umbrella term for it now, we started with QI, then went on to 8 Out of 10 Cats and 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown, now we are watching Taskmaster and Richard Ayoade's "Travel Man." Whatever that whole category of shows is where they seem to draw from the same pool of mostly comedians.

And I have run into so many words and mannerisms and things that just delight me. I like saying, "ehm" instead of the American "um" for instance (which I actually nabbed from the Irish comedian Aisling Bea.) I'm not trying to copy their accents, I think I'd sound silly if I did, but I'm definitely picking up some speech bits.

I would hope I'm not annoying anybody with them, but I'm not sure how much I really care if I am.

I'm not quite to the point of saying I need to go "have a wee" instead of that I am going to the bathroom or that I've gotta pee, though. lol Maybe eventually.

Old 11-07-2023, 04:22 PM

1,802 posts, read 807,834 times
I've said "hit the loo" for years and I'm not British.

Old 11-08-2023, 07:54 AM

11,922 posts, read 8,250,587 times
I want to add to the ramble - DH says he's going to go, "take a whiz." I correct him with the reminder that actually he is going to, "give a whiz."

I'd like to know what ingroup that takes whizzes from the bathroom he is identifying with. Sounds a little shady to me.

Old 11-08-2023, 10:07 AM

23,533 posts, read 69,968,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I want to add to the ramble - DH says he's going to go, "take a whiz." I correct him with the reminder that actually he is going to, "give a whiz."

I'd like to know what ingroup that takes whizzes from the bathroom he is identifying with. Sounds a little shady to me.

O-kay... a short English lesson you weren't taught in school:

"Take" is a delexical verb in these idiomatic expressions. Roughly, "de" = not, and lexical = "part of the dictionary definition." Because it isn't a new word, it isn't a neologism, but it is a word being used with a non-standard meaning that is always subordinate to the other word in the phrase.

You can also "take" a picture, "take" your time, "have" a cow, "have" lunch, "eat" crow, and so on. "Take" a crap, pedantically, should be to extrude or "give" a crap, and NOT giving a crap would perhaps be more stressful and concerning than giving one. English is messy and fun. Here we are playing with our excrement again. Freud and Jung would be proud of us.

Old 11-08-2023, 10:10 AM

20,235 posts, read 14,461,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

I've heard that one, but I toss it in the same linguistic bucket as things like...

You drive on the parkway, park on the driveway. Shipments in trucks, cargo on ships. Hell, if we're even keeping it urological, what's up with that British saying, "take the pizz" anyways? I know what it means but I have no idea why anyone would use those words for that meaning. It's weird.

English is a bizarre language all around, though. People who manage to learn it as a second (or third, fourth, whatever) language, especially as adults, impress me to no end.

Old 11-08-2023, 12:36 PM

29,627 posts, read 34,124,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I've heard that one, but I toss it in the same linguistic bucket as things like...

You drive on the parkway, park on the driveway. Shipments in trucks, cargo on ships. Hell, if we're even keeping it urological, what's up with that British saying, "take the pizz" anyways? I know what it means but I have no idea why anyone would use those words for that meaning. It's weird.

English is a bizarre language all around, though. People who manage to learn it as a second (or third, fourth, whatever) language, especially as adults, impress me to no end.
Or some people say that they wait "in line," others wait "on line."

I heard a podcast (or maybe it was on NPR) about how people who speak English as a second language often have an easier time conversing with other ESL speakers because native English speakers often pepper their language with slang, idioms, and references that don't translate.

Old 11-08-2023, 08:53 PM

21,555 posts, read 12,627,737 times
None of that is what I was referring to, but anyway...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology