Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2023, 09:46 PM

11,909 posts, read 8,231,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
None of that is what I was referring to, but anyway...

Just being deliberately and annoyingly disruptive. It's what the slow kid does when they can't keep up with all the intellectualism.

Carry on. I'll observe.

Carry what?

On where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2023, 01:22 PM

88,003 posts, read 83,827,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Or some people say that they wait "in line," others wait "on line."

I heard a podcast (or maybe it was on NPR) about how people who speak English as a second language often have an easier time conversing with other ESL speakers because native English speakers often pepper their language with slang, idioms, and references that don't translate.
We wait "on line" in the NY/NJ metro. A friend of mine moved to the DC region about forty years ago, and she was laughing because someone pegged her as a Jerseyite not long ago with her "on line".

Old 11-11-2023, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I've heard that one, but I toss it in the same linguistic bucket as things like...

You drive on the parkway, park on the driveway. Shipments in trucks, cargo on ships. Hell, if we're even keeping it urological, what's up with that British saying, "take the pizz" anyways? I know what it means but I have no idea why anyone would use those words for that meaning. It's weird.

English is a bizarre language all around, though. People who manage to learn it as a second (or third, fourth, whatever) language, especially as adults, impress me to no end.
In fairness, parkway and driveway really are just a logical throwbacks from another time. You drive on the parkway because a parkway used to be--get this--a road through a park. When planners decided to build major highways and make 'em look pretty by planting trees and grass along the sides instead of having them run through urban areas, they called them parkways to evoke the environment of the original roads that took you through a real park.

A driveway is called that because prior to automobiles, your horse and carriage pulled up to the front of your house, dropped you off, and then continued on the driveway--a sort of road on your land--to the back of the property where the carriage house and barn were located. When autos came along, the driveway got shorter and stopped at the house, but it was still called the same thing.

Old 11-14-2023, 10:00 AM
bu2

23,855 posts, read 14,634,641 times
Quote:
I've heard that one, but I toss it in the same linguistic bucket as things like...

You drive on the parkway, park on the driveway. Shipments in trucks, cargo on ships. Hell, if we're even keeping it urological, what's up with that British saying, "take the pizz" anyways? I know what it means but I have no idea why anyone would use those words for that meaning. It's weird.

English is a bizarre language all around, though. People who manage to learn it as a second (or third, fourth, whatever) language, especially as adults, impress me to no end.
A lot of our irregularities are because of the Danes who settled the east of England before the Norman invasion. They were having trouble with the language. Read an interesting book once, "English, our marvelous native tongue." Its a mix of English history and the story of the language.

Old 11-14-2023, 11:14 AM

20,215 posts, read 14,439,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
A lot of our irregularities are because of the Danes who settled the east of England before the Norman invasion. They were having trouble with the language. Read an interesting book once, "English, our marvelous native tongue." Its a mix of English history and the story of the language.
Yeah, English is goofy and I'm not at all surprised given the history of the region where it developed, and I'm not shocked that it continues to evolve in the places it's spread to either. Don't get me wrong, I love it. But it's a silly language.

I have some fun books about old timey innuendos and slang that I want to get, but I also really want to put some time and effort into learning other languages. I often feel bad that I don't speak any others. I think that Americans should probably at least learn Spanish and sign language.

Old 11-14-2023, 05:20 PM
bu2

Quote:
Yeah, English is goofy and I'm not at all surprised given the history of the region where it developed, and I'm not shocked that it continues to evolve in the places it's spread to either. Don't get me wrong, I love it. But it's a silly language.

I have some fun books about old timey innuendos and slang that I want to get, but I also really want to put some time and effort into learning other languages. I often feel bad that I don't speak any others. I think that Americans should probably at least learn Spanish and sign language.
Drifting a little off topic, but we were in Switzerland one time and this elderly lady asked me something in German. Clearly I didn't understand so she said something in French. Then she said in disgust and disbelief, "So you only speak English?" i think her sole purpose was to insult an American. I actually did speak a little Spanish and Italian, but wasn't fluent. Switzerland is a country the size of Ohio where they speak 4 languages (French, German, Italian, Romansch). We live in an entire hemisphere where virtually every educated person speaks one of 4 languages (English, Spanish, Portuguese and French). Its just not as relevant as in Europe. And English is the international language of business. I was in Amsterdam and was surprised to hear English everywhere. Its because there are so many immigrants in Amsterdam. Only half the population is Dutch and 25-30% are recent immigrants. Its the lingua franca of Amsterdam.

But if you want a tough language, try Russian. You have to learn a new alphabet and conjugate your adverbs and adjectives and everything else!

Old 11-14-2023, 07:02 PM

32,840 posts, read 12,107,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Or some people say that they wait "in line," others wait "on line."

I heard a podcast (or maybe it was on NPR) about how people who speak English as a second language often have an easier time conversing with other ESL speakers because native English speakers often pepper their language with slang, idioms, and references that don't translate.

Two friends of mine......one is Swedish, and the other is an American who went to grad school in Sweden, and then stayed in in Scandinavia. They've been friends for close to 40 years because, with both being friends of mine, I introduced them. They get in hilarious arguments about which of the three prestige dialects is 'the most correct Swedish'.......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Swedish.

One of the prestige dialects is the Swede's native dialect (when in Sweden, always lives there), and one of the other two dialects is what the American first learned, but he then moved to the area of the third dialect, and that became the 'area re his accent'.

Old 11-14-2023, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Drifting a little off topic, but we were in Switzerland one time and this elderly lady asked me something in German. Clearly I didn't understand so she said something in French. Then she said in disgust and disbelief, "So you only speak English?" i think her sole purpose was to insult an American. I actually did speak a little Spanish and Italian, but wasn't fluent. Switzerland is a country the size of Ohio where they speak 4 languages (French, German, Italian, Romansch). We live in an entire hemisphere where virtually every educated person speaks one of 4 languages (English, Spanish, Portuguese and French). Its just not as relevant as in Europe. And English is the international language of business. I was in Amsterdam and was surprised to hear English everywhere. Its because there are so many immigrants in Amsterdam. Only half the population is Dutch and 25-30% are recent immigrants. Its the lingua franca of Amsterdam.

But if you want a tough language, try Russian. You have to learn a new alphabet and conjugate your adverbs and adjectives and everything else!
My daughter has degrees in Mandarin, linguistics, and a PhD in curriculum design, with her dissertation being on a better way for English speakers to learn Mandarin.

She originally studied both Russian and Mandarin but stuck with Mandarin because "Chinese is so much easier than Russian".

Old 11-14-2023, 10:29 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My daughter has degrees in Mandarin, linguistics, and a PhD in curriculum design, with her dissertation being on a better way for English speakers to learn Mandarin.

She originally studied both Russian and Mandarin but stuck with Mandarin because "Chinese is so much easier than Russian".
Actually read an article about a teacher in Moscow teaching Mandarin. He told them, "Don't worry, you already speak the world's 2nd toughest language." I think both are pretty tough for Germanic or Romance language speakers. My understanding is that uptalk would totally wreck your Mandarin as tone changes the meaning of words.

Old 11-15-2023, 10:48 AM

28,840 posts, read 30,076,387 times
Quote:
Actually read an article about a teacher in Moscow teaching Mandarin. He told them, "Don't worry, you already speak the world's 2nd toughest language." I think both are pretty tough for Germanic or Romance language speakers. My understanding is that uptalk would totally wreck your Mandarin as tone changes the meaning of words.
yes, uptalk makes it sound like your always asking a question, and some women have adapted to it, I found it very difficult to mimic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology