Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 05:20 PM

1,196 posts, read 528,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Agree completely. I'm still trying to discern the psychology topic here.
Are you serious?

People who have distinct affectations have "issues."

There you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2023, 05:53 PM

2,050 posts, read 993,379 times
Definitely psychology related. There's situations where some people start speaking like others to 'fit in'. Prison would be a good example of this, where people might take on the manner of speech of whatever group/tribe they get accepted into (eg: white guy suddenly talking black, when he never sounded like that before).

Occasionally I encounter older women, say 50+, that talk like teenagers - the current slang, upspeak, etc. Plus the dreadful high pitch/squeaky voice that was discussed in a separate thread. The speech and voice doesn't match the maturity of the face and they appear insecure about their age.

Old 11-02-2023, 06:10 PM

2,024 posts, read 979,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
Are you serious?

There you go.
I would actually say that people whose personal 'antenna' seems to constantly pick up things to get annoyed by (and who make generational stereotypes about them) have "issues."

Old 11-02-2023, 06:54 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
Quote:
I would actually say that people whose personal 'antenna' seems to constantly pick up things to get annoyed by (and who make generational stereotypes about them) have "issues."
Only if you don't mind people who are phony and trying to act superior to you. But I bet you do. Most of us do.

Read the definition of affectation. https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...sh/affectation

Also read the article from "Glamor" I posted for context.

Please note I didn't say all manner of identifying with your group by using special language are being phony or insincere.

You and I both can recognize a poser when we see them, I think.

Old 11-02-2023, 08:23 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,659,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm not certain if this is the correct thread to put this post under, if not, please feel free to move....but I watch a whole lot of vids, and I am so tired of young people doing the uptalk thing....

for people who don't know what that is, its a way of talking to make themselves feel important, at the end of their sentences, they raise their voices as if to ask a question, instead of talking normal.

It is so irritating....and fake....
I doubt there's anything "fake" about it. I'm guessing people pick up the inflection from people around them. And it also indicates uncertainty. I can't imagine why you think it's to make someone feel important.

Old 11-02-2023, 09:10 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
Are you serious?

There you go.
And the psychology of people not realizing the affectation that they have.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-02-2023, 09:38 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times
Quote:
you sit in a conference room for two hours and listen to this fake uptalk is not only disturbing but afterwards you walk away with an acute headache....

its fake and annoying

Old 11-02-2023, 09:40 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I doubt there's anything "fake" about it. I'm guessing people pick up the inflection from people around them. And it also indicates uncertainty. I can't imagine why you think it's to make someone feel important.
I worked with these girls for over 20 years....and when I met them, they didn't talk like that....now I'm going back 6 years, I don't know if they still do it, but this one gal who sat aside of me, did it constantly raising her voice at the end of each sentence as if it were a question, and it was distint, loud and exhauggerated... so yeah, it is fake....regardless...

Old 11-02-2023, 09:53 PM

2,024 posts, read 979,083 times
See what I mean?

Old 11-02-2023, 09:55 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
People generally (naturally) speak the way they learned to speak when they were young. Adopting other accents or affectations indicates to me an unhealthy conformity, need to fit in and be accepted by others, dependence on others' approval, and "hive mind." We moved from the north to the south when I was younger, and my pre-teen sibling almost immediately adopted a southern accent (he's since dropped it, and I still haven't acquired one), but then 13 is the age when one would want and need to integrate into one's new peer group. People should outgrow that tendency by adulthood, but some never do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology