Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 10:59 PM

48,269 posts, read 34,391,475 times

Advertisements

Possible originations of up talk: https://www-bbc-com.cdn.ampproject.o...azine-28785865
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2023, 09:16 AM

11,906 posts, read 8,227,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Those theories that it originated in various native language styles is interesting, yeah? As my Norwegian predecessors would say. And don't forget the Canadians, eh?

I once worked with a pretty, inexperienced woman who usually ended her comments with something like, "Don't you think?" as though she needed affirmation.

Still there are distinct psychological reasons between those who use it naturally as a by-product of their culture and those who put on an accent for effect, Dahlings.

Do most people who notice spend all day constantly looking for affectations and being irritated? I doubt it. But if you are sensitive to what is genuine and sincere in another human an affected style of language is a red flag. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less.

I think you'd have to know the reason why they are doing it in order to make a judgment call. If it seems like insecurity you might want to give that unsure person a boost. If it's a snake oil salesperson you might want to put the billfold back in your pocket.

Old 11-03-2023, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Those theories that it originated in various native language styles is interesting, yeah? As my Norwegian predecessors would say. And don't forget the Canadians, eh?

I once worked with a pretty, inexperienced woman who usually ended her comments with something like, "Don't you think?" as though she needed affirmation.

Still there are distinct psychological reasons between those who use it naturally as a by-product of their culture and those who put on an accent for effect, Dahlings.

Do most people who notice spend all day constantly looking for affectations and being irritated? I doubt it. But if you are sensitive to what is genuine and sincere in another human an affected style of language is a red flag. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less.

I think you'd have to know the reason why they are doing it in order to make a judgment call. If it seems like insecurity you might want to give that unsure person a boost. If it's a snake oil salesperson you might want to put the billfold back in your pocket.

Quoted because all of that bears repeating.

Old 11-03-2023, 10:32 AM

20,208 posts, read 14,434,494 times
I'm noticing another thing that I find annoying. Using the whole concept of "psychology" to pathologize anyone who annoys you or does anything you don't care for. Gimme a break, I know some actually mentally ill people, we do NOT need to go around pointing at every person's little harmless quirks and declaring them "unhealthy." What the hell is the psychology of THAT? Seems kinda "unhealthy" to me? Sheesh. Round and round.

Yeah, some stuff annoys me. But there are all sorts of reasons people have whatever inflections, affectations, dialects, mannerisms, and chosen words and phrases in their speech. But "annoying" is not a diagnostic term. Nor is "annoyed." It's all a bit interesting to note and think about, but let's not get carried away.

Not every conversation about human psychology has to end in identifying the "mentally unwell" so we can smugly feel that we are OK and those other people aren't. I won't even get into the thing of a certain bunch of Americans negatively judging the cultural speech patterns of certain other groups, because hoo boy is THAT a can of worms. If people are managing to communicate their ideas effectively, and they are not harming themselves, you, or anybody...

But since I've got up close experience with a schizophrenic person who was in the middle of his worst breakdowns, delusions and behaviors... I can tell you that the speech of the "unwell" goes way, WAY beyond "annoying" and into tormented, disorganized, hard to follow. Sometimes flat, sometimes frenzied. It is not "annoying" but rather heartbreaking, frightening and upsetting. If you have not experienced it, that is your good fortune.

I dunno I just feel like calling an annoying mannerism a sign of a mental health problem is like calling a critical remark "actual violence" or a smile and eye contact, "assault." No. Just. No.

Old 11-03-2023, 10:57 AM

1,827 posts, read 846,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I'm noticing another thing that I find annoying. Using the whole concept of "psychology" to pathologize anyone who annoys you or does anything you don't care for. Gimme a break, I know some actually mentally ill people, we do NOT need to go around pointing at every person's little harmless quirks and declaring them "unhealthy." What the hell is the psychology of THAT? Seems kinda "unhealthy" to me? Sheesh. Round and round.

Yeah, some stuff annoys me. But there are all sorts of reasons people have whatever inflections, affectations, dialects, mannerisms, and chosen words and phrases in their speech. But "annoying" is not a diagnostic term. Nor is "annoyed." It's all a bit interesting to note and think about, but let's not get carried away.

Not every conversation about human psychology has to end in identifying the "mentally unwell" so we can smugly feel that we are OK and those other people aren't. I won't even get into the thing of a certain bunch of Americans negatively judging the cultural speech patterns of certain other groups, because hoo boy is THAT a can of worms. If people are managing to communicate their ideas effectively, and they are not harming themselves, you, or anybody...

But since I've got up close experience with a schizophrenic person who was in the middle of his worst breakdowns, delusions and behaviors... I can tell you that the speech of the "unwell" goes way, WAY beyond "annoying" and into tormented, disorganized, hard to follow. Sometimes flat, sometimes frenzied. It is not "annoying" but rather heartbreaking, frightening and upsetting. If you have not experienced it, that is your good fortune.

I dunno I just feel like calling an annoying mannerism a sign of a mental health problem is like calling a critical remark "actual violence" or a smile and eye contact, "assault." No. Just. No.
100% agree with this. Being annoyed is frequently a choice someone makes. I'm sure the chronically-annoyed people will double down and insist that other people have the inviolable capacity to make everyone around them annoyed.
ETA: It's funny too how many of these posts are started with "I see a lot of youtube videos..."
Well, stop searching for and watching youtube videos of things that annoy you. You're not forced to.

Last edited by rokuremote; 11-03-2023 at 11:16 AM..

Old 11-03-2023, 11:18 AM

20,208 posts, read 14,434,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
100% agree with this. Being annoyed is frequently a choice someone makes. I'm sure the chronically-annoyed people will double down and insist that other people have the inviolable capacity to make everyone around them annoyed.
I mean... I get annoyed. Sure! But I tend to have a lens of humor that I see my own annoyance through. I don't take those feelings very seriously.

It's like my inner "angry Muppet" flailing around.

But then, so, we see another human psych thingie at work here... Look at us, seeking our monkey-validation tokens by saying, "Hey, this thing annoys me! Doesn't it annoy you also?" "Yes, yes, and me as well." LOL

We're so silly.

Old 11-03-2023, 11:32 AM

Quote:
ETA: It's funny too how many of these posts are started with "I see a lot of youtube videos..."
Well, stop searching for and watching youtube videos of things that annoy you. You're not forced to.

This.

You can FIND things to complain about there, just in case it's not happening to you in RL.

Old 11-04-2023, 09:42 PM

28,840 posts, read 30,072,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

Well said, personally people are people, regardless of how they talk, without labeling them mentally ill, or the people it annoys...

and I don't go running around all day looking for uptalk, nor does every video I watch have the like, I heard it the day I started this thread and wanted to see how others felt about it....but do I think they are mentally disturbed, no, and neither am I, a little off the deep end now and then, yeah.

Girls I worked with were far from mentally ill....much the differ....I went to a meeting held in a large auditorium and someone's perfume bothered me, does that make me or her mentally ill? No!

and can't agree with you more on your last paragraph, it is heartbreaking and upsetting....also frightening....this country needs to consentrate on helping those who are afflicted with a mental health problem....

Old 11-05-2023, 08:29 AM

28,840 posts, read 30,072,374 times
Quote:
no ones searching for youtube videos that have people using upspeak in them....
I'm handicapped, and spend a lot of time on the inteternet, not searching for anything, but I do watch a whole lot of vids....and mostly NOT from Youtube....

and yes, I do see a whole lot of vids...where they are using uptalk, of which I am not looking for, as you stated....
it just happens....

being irritated by another human being, doesn't present me a choice....if I'm in a movie theater and people behind me are talking loud, it is definately going to irritate you....if your driving down the road and someone pulls over in front of you, tell me your not going to be irritated...if someone speaks unkindly to you, yes, you can walk away, but it still provides a reaction....and I don't believe anyone is Chronically annoyed....however, when people wear a lot of perfume it is annoying, but most of the time you can walk away....

your right, no one forced me to watch any vid, and to be honest, when I hear someone on a vid using uptalk, I move on, that is my choice, but it is still irritating that our country has come to speaking so ridiculous, as is the terrible language young people use....

So, using power words like chronically annoyed is overstating it all just a tad, or searching the internet for youtube vids where people use upspeak? Come on?????? You are grossly exaggerating the whole thing, trying to make people look like a fool who are irritated by others....and their annoying quirks. We all have them, yanno.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 11-05-2023 at 09:07 AM..

Old 11-05-2023, 08:50 AM

1,827 posts, read 846,019 times
Power words?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology