Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2023, 11:06 AM

21,915 posts, read 9,486,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
I'm almost positive that 'it is what it is' is another of the phrases that we used on our mark/friend. If it wasn't, it was certainly something that he said regularly enough on his own...I wish we'd kept a journal, lol.

Re: the last paragraph, I always find it a bit eerie when I find myself uttering the exact same words as another at exactly the same time. Though it can be useful for establishing a connection, too. I remember after a co-ed pickup soccer game once, a bunch of us were standing around and talking, including a girl whom I had some interest in. We were talking about city neighborhoods or something, pros and cons, and I remember that she and I commented 'bike-friendly' about a particular area at the same time. Perceived chemistry instantly skyrocketed, on my end anyway, lol. Unfortunately for me, she was going out with one of the other guys there, and both of them moved to New York City not long after that game
Had an old lady 7th grade math teacher. She was mean. But effective. She used phrases over and over and once you heard it, you couldn't STOP hearing it. The only one I remember was her putting 'on it' at the end of many, MANY sentences. Once, my friend made a tally and of how many times she said particular phrases. The teacher caught her and took the paper. I am sure she had no idea what it was other than the girl wasn't paying attention to math.

My husband will say 'whachmacallit' to the point when I was first dating him, I called him the 'whachmacallit guy'. He doesn't say it super often but he said it recently. Sometimes my kids say it, too. But recently, when it was pointed out to him, he denied EVER having said it. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Epic.

I also eye-roll at "amazing". Everything is amazing now - I'd love to read just one recipe online from the thousands of food blogs that doesn't use the word amazing, I don't think it exists, though. One of the female characters on the cartoon Archer says it like "a-MAYYYYzing" just like I hear a lot of women using it in real life.
It used to be awesome.

Old 11-05-2023, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I worked in the corporate field for many years until retiring, and they younger girls would do the upspeak or uptalk and define it at the end of their sentences to the point it became more then annoying...and they did it worse then any of the examples left here.....
I agree with this. I used to be an analyst in a real estate company. I had to call the properties to get their capital expenditures reports. The managers were almost always like this. Imagine in the highest pitched voices you can, "Oh, well I am not sure what that is. I will have to ask someone'. I know they did that because they were salespeople. They were selling apartments. But I wanted to point out to them that if they ever wanted to be taken seriously in the business world, they should not do that because it just made them sound stupid. I never did.

Old 11-05-2023, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Darby View Post
Phooey, I was hoping for more from this thread. I'm in the middle of 1984, not for the first time, and "uptalk" sounded like classic Newspeak.

While I'm here, people adding "right?" at the end of every sentence currently has me close to pretending I'm Elvis and putting a bullet through the TV screen.

"This is great soup."
"I know, right?"
Our WH press secretary does that to a point that almost drives me to that. Of course I can't.

Old 11-05-2023, 11:25 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
I meant Noooaaahhhhhaaa, sorry, they put an a on the end...never watched Schitts Creek?
Saying it that way is from Schitt's Creek. My sister and DH were huge fans and they both would say that in certain situations.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-05-2023, 11:43 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
My pet peeve is 'like' as the filler word. It's awful. I contend they are not teaching children proper English anymore...for a reason.
Honestly, I say "like" all the time as a filler word. I don't even notice that I'm doing it unless it's pointed out. The idea that I haven't been taught to speak English properly or that I'm trying "look cool" as someone who's pushing 50 is laughable. It's just a thing people say, other people say "um,' or "you know," or "uh." Not that big of a deal.

Old 11-05-2023, 12:22 PM

2,024 posts, read 979,083 times
Quote:
when I left the corporate field, and believe me, it was a blessing, so many young people had an "I'm better then you attitude", and talked endlessly about nothing in meetings as Sonic said...they're mostly fresh out of college and believe they are better then anyone else, knowing more then others, because they have a degree, which soon becomes a rude awakening. (and I'm not the only one who felt that way) Many people left early because of that....they were unable to explore the meaning behind words, if those words didn't align with their beliefs...it was like hitting your head against the wall, you were trying to have a conversation, to share, to learn, and it was impossible, as it was taken as an insult, challenge or character flaw.

Now I know my generation was probably the same, but in a much more humble way...the Corporate Field is not for sissy's....they will run right over their own mother, to get to the top. Oh yes, there are decent people working amongst them only trying to make a living and paying off their college debt....however, the majority of them will have to learn a lot, just like we did....life doesn't give you an in, on your choice of trends or college degrees, but more so, on kindness, humbleness and sitting back and learning, by just observing and for that you don't get a trophy. The corporate world, actually rewards bad behavior, by giving out awards that are not earned, but by popularity, or if your working with a team that does all the work while you sit back and do nothing....it's disgusting. Anyway, working in the corportate field is not for sissy's....you watch, you learn and you choose your battles wisely....if at all...and play the game.
So this is all about generational bashing as it appeared to be from the start. Got it.

Old 11-05-2023, 12:23 PM

2,024 posts, read 979,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Saying it that way is from Schitt's Creek. My sister and DH were huge fans and they both would say that in certain situations.
Yup. Schitt's Creek and also Maria Menounous (popularized by an infamous shock jock).

Old 11-05-2023, 01:18 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
So this is all about generational bashing as it appeared to be from the start. Got it.
Isn’t meant that way but regardless you will read into it what isn’t there
Newsflash, I’ve never heard my generation use uptalk but we used other trendy words
There are several generations younger than me, some use it, some don’t, and btw people in their 40’s are still paying off college debts
You’d be wise to be a tad more open minded rather than jump on a generation bashing train, yanno?
Enjoy the day

Last edited by cremebrulee; 11-05-2023 at 01:28 PM..

Old 11-05-2023, 01:37 PM

13,622 posts, read 10,024,461 times
Quote:
I'm not certain if this is the correct thread to put this post under, if not, please feel free to move....but I watch a whole lot of vids, and I am so tired of young people doing the uptalk thing....

for people who don't know what that is, its a way of talking to make themselves feel important, at the end of their sentences, they raise their voices as if to ask a question, instead of talking normal.

It is so irritating....and fake....
I hear that as some kind of a question, a needing for approval, an encouragement to agree with them. A bit like saying, "Right", after everything.

Just stupid really, and showing that something's lacking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology