Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2023, 11:43 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times

Advertisements

TAYLOR SWIFT is the first artist who comes to mind...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2023, 10:08 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
This has been happening to me quite a lot lately, on Facebook, and I find it baffling. And all kinds of annoying.

When I have said that I do not care for certain performers, more than a few people have suggested that "even if I don't enjoy (insert pop singer's name) music, I should still "respect" her. This was sent as a private message.

Confused? Yes. I am. Very, very confused.
I'm very confused why you feel you should comment on performers you don't like. Someone posts they enjoy group ABC, and you don't, then move it along. There is no need for you to comment. The post is only for people who like group ABC. It's pointless for you to engage in these conversations to begin with, otherwise you end up arguing with them about it.

Old 12-17-2023, 08:44 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
I'm very confused why you feel you should comment on performers you don't like. Someone posts they enjoy group ABC, and you don't, then move it along. There is no need for you to comment. The post is only for people who like group ABC. It's pointless for you to engage in these conversations to begin with, otherwise you end up arguing with them about it.
Everyone has a right to share their opinion.

Often times you are asked or pulled into these conversations and expected to participate. If you answer honestly and others get upset, it is they who are starting the argument. The person who answered honestly did nothing wrong and should not have to be mute or lie. Unless these are pre-teens everyone should have the maturity to hear the other out and accept their preferences.

Old 12-17-2023, 09:21 AM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Me, the conversation usually doesn't get any farther when I say, "Now, who is that?".

About the only way I might get into conversations of the topic of the thread if it were to go see a movie with someone in it who is absolutely torture to watch.....like Will Smith. For me, he's lower on the scale than having to watch a L&O, ESPECIALLY a SVU. I don't watch that stuff, I think it is INSANE that we have had a show of such content on for 2 decades....but I will be there as polite company if needed.

But there are some people who if they were the main attraction, I do not watch, I would walk out of the room, like the late Rush L..

Walking out of the room may get someone insults and jeers, then or later, perhaps even give such people a weapon they think they can use but in the long run, it may be something that allows people to feel better about themselves.

Long ago, in the Navy, with the Challenger disaster, whenever people started making jokes about it, I left the room if I could (had some pretty jerky senior officers). Other junior officers later said, "Ounce, if we don't want you around, all we need to do is make a Challenger joke.". Sure, that hurt, is that what my other officers thought of me? But I still think I am a better person for not to join the crowd and rake our astronauts over the coals.

I have found the conversation finisher for most disagreements has been, "That's one opinion, Sir; IT DOES NOT HAPPEN TO BE MINE.".

Old 12-17-2023, 03:13 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
If people are enjoying their admiration of a celebrity, anyone coming along and saying they don't like . . . it's like the saying, "If you don't have anything nice to say . . . " say nothing. The universe doesn't need to know our every opinion. Just let them enjoy.

Old 12-18-2023, 12:04 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Not sure this doesn't speak more to Facebook and Social Media than it does to any artist... or any joke about any artist... or any respect someone may or may not have about any artist.

For the record I thought the joke was pretty funny and pretty light hearted. I've heard plenty of jokes a lot harsher than that one.

And to whether the OP "respects" Yoko or not. Who cares. You can rest assured that Yoko really doesn't care.

Old 12-18-2023, 09:42 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Everyone has a right to share their opinion.

Often times you are asked or pulled into these conversations and expected to participate.
No, that's just someone spoiling for a fight. Unless someone asks you directly, "What do you think of the rock group KISS?", you don't need to offer negative comments in response to someone posting "We saw KISS last night, what a great concert!". Someone can post a wedding photo, sure you could say "I don't think the bride looks attractive and can't see why anyone would marry her", but you have to ask yourself, why you would do such a thing and then be upset you don't like the responses. You need to behave like an adult, otherwise you going to be unhappy.

Old 12-18-2023, 10:48 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
When we got heavily into "group think"? The internet certainly has something to do with an increase in group think, even over rather trivial things, like a pop singer. Group thinkers don't have very high self esteem and they feel insulted and emotionally threatened if you aren't one of them. It's cult like. It's really not a healthy mental state to be in if you think about it.
Yes! And it's getting worse and worse!

For the sake of all that is holy and good - when I dislike a professional entertainer, this is NOT DIRECTED towards YOU, your mother, or your first born. Just let it go.

My taste does not rule the world. That would be nice, but it's not true.

I agree about the "group think" idea. It also agree that they somehow feel personally insulted and attacked. They must really be emotionally fragile.

Old 12-19-2023, 01:57 AM

27,542 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
If people are enjoying their admiration of a celebrity, anyone coming along and saying they don't like . . . it's like the saying, "If you don't have anything nice to say . . . " say nothing. The universe doesn't need to know our every opinion. Just let them enjoy.
I don’t take any offense if someone expresses a negative opinion about an artist or entertainer I enjoy. Everybody has a right to an opinion.

I just shrug my shoulders and move on. Different strokes, and all that.

Some people need to stop taking things so seriously and maybe get a thicker skin.

Old 12-19-2023, 09:15 AM

5,456 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Because they haven't figured out how to translate 'de gustibus non est disputandum'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology