Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 05:01 AM

196 posts, read 62,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Dude, that’s the point; why would anyone need (or want) to make ‘random negative comments’ relative to others’ happiness? Clearly, they’re resentful/unhappy themselves (or they’d have no reason to comment, gossip or attempt to bring others down with their nonsense).
Dude, you must be an 'all or nothing' guy.

Just because someone makes the occasional negative comment about what they believe to be idiotic behavior (even though the perpetrator may be quite happy in their idiocy), it doesn't mean they're 'resentful/unhappy.'

People observe, people comment. It's what humans do. I guess the whole world must be unhappy.

You're telling us that when you've seen somebody happily doing something 'stupid,' you've never thought something negative or commented to your partner or friends?
If not, you must be a robot.

Would it make one 'unhappy with their life' if they referred to skateboarders scraping all over a building's ledge as 'scumbags', even though they're (the skateboarders) happy doing so?

I'll answer for you - 'no.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:13 AM

8,761 posts, read 3,930,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinT View Post
Just because someone makes the occasional negative comment about what they believe to be idiotic behavior (even though the perpetrator may be quite happy in their idiocy), it doesn't mean they're 'resentful/unhappy.'
I’m speaking to those who feel resentful of others’ happiness, per the thread. As I explained previously, one can see it blatantly play out on social media any day of the week sans any effort to do so.

Quote:
You're telling us that when you've seen somebody happily doing something 'stupid,' you've never thought something negative or commented to your partner or friends?
Dude, again, displaying stupidity (or being annoyed by such) is different than resentment of others’ happiness (or attempting to bring folks down by way of negative comments or gossip). The resenter is negatively/angrily empowered with their (sadistic) opportunity to (temporarily) feel better at another’s expense. It’s basic psychology.

Bottom line, happy/psychologically-well folks don’t resent others’ happiness (or deliberately hurt people, for that matter).

Old Today, 09:49 AM

20,436 posts, read 14,752,677 times
Quote:
Dude, you must be an 'all or nothing' guy.

People observe, people comment. It's what humans do. I guess the whole world must be unhappy.

If not, you must be a robot.

Would it make one 'unhappy with their life' if they referred to skateboarders scraping all over a building's ledge as 'scumbags', even though they're (the skateboarders) happy doing so?

I'll answer for you - 'no.'
My compass for judgment tends to be "where is the harm?" - so if the skateboarders are not causing damage with their activities, then I do not think that they are "scumbags" I am happy that young people (probably) have a place to go and a thing to do rather than rotting in their rooms on the internet. Also skateboarding is cool, I always wished I could have learned to do it but I'm clumsy as crap and would probably die. So good on them!

Thus coming across some person calling other people "scumbags" if they are just youth outside enjoying an activity that causes no harm... Well I kinda judge what sort of grumpy curmudgeon they must be to even think that, let alone say it out loud.

Now if skateboarding actually causes hazards, damage to buildings, etc...perhaps there is a better place for them to go and do that, or there SHOULD be.

I know that I'm getting probably excessive mileage out of your example here.

How about nudists? I think that I would very much enjoy going to a nude beach or nude hot springs. The feeling of being naked outside would likely make me very happy. But I'm not about to try doing that out in random public places, of course not! Not only because it's illegal...the rule is not arbitrary. It would cause unreasonable discomfort for others around me who did not consent to the unexpected sight of my nekkidism. Yeah? It is out of respect for the comfort of other people around me, and consideration, that I agree to the rule and follow it. OK.

Well, without an actual LAW...who gets to say what is uncomfortable to see and what isn't? There are racists in this world who are not comfortable seeing a black guy in their neighborhood. I think that most of us would agree that they (the racists) are the problem. Maybe you have an issue with the sight of skateboarders for some reason. Why is your position less valid than one who protests a nudist getting their kit off in the city park? Corporate Cowboy will be familiar with the standard...it is the "reasonable person" standard or the "reasonable expectation" standard. Used in court all of the time. Because we all kinda know what one might reasonably expect to see around us...versus what no reasonable person would expect to see in a certain context, and might therefore find alarming or upsetting.

If you cannot prove harm done by whatever you are making grouchy comments about, and if what you're complaining about falls within reasonable expectations for what one might see in the context.... Then you probably just have a cruddy attitude. Well. It's your life and your mental landscape. If you want to go around feeling judgy and annoyed about what other people do, that's your business. You are free to judge. I am free to judge you for judging. lol I doubt if any of that treads into the land of mental illness, though. There are plenty of grouchy people with crummy attitudes who are still not "mentally unwell."

Old Today, 03:51 PM

196 posts, read 62,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I’m speaking to those who feel resentful of others’ happiness, per the thread. As I explained previously, one can see it blatantly play out on social media any day of the week sans any effort to do so.

Dude, again, displaying stupidity (or being annoyed by such) is different than resentment of others’ happiness (or attempting to bring folks down by way of negative comments or gossip). The resenter is negatively/angrily empowered with their (sadistic) opportunity to (temporarily) feel better at another’s expense. It’s basic psychology.

Bottom line, happy/psychologically-well folks don’t resent others’ happiness (or deliberately hurt people, for that matter).
I'm not on social media.
Why are you on social media all involved in the negative reactions, dude?

Why subject yourself to such nonsense?

People who do that must get some thrill from it.

Old Today, 04:53 PM

8,761 posts, read 3,930,538 times
Quote:
'Pancake Girl' is acting ridiculous because she's pretending to be happy.
Quote:
How about if someone shows or shares you a video?
Quote:
Why are you on social media all involved in the negative reactions, dude?
That I don’t resent others’ happiness (or discuss/antagonize ridiculous behavior of strangers) doesn’t mean I have to stop connecting with my (sailing/racing) friends, colleagues and family, lol - especially since I’m 50 and transitioning into an early semi-retirement as an adjunct professor.

Quote:
Why subject yourself to such nonsense?
Again, I don’t follow ‘pancake girl’ or other strangers on social media; resentful, angry and psychologically-unwell folks do not affect my happiness or social circle. We’re friends, colleagues and family; we do not resent each others’ happiness - we share it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology