Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2024, 09:09 AM

38,739 posts, read 22,501,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Yeah dreams are different for me. Not a lot of words going on, all images, like being in an experience, seeing it. Vivid colors. I rarely remember dreams but sometimes I do, and I can recall one that I had some 30 years ago as a teenager and how it was so intense and vivid a "place" that I felt I had truly gone to, and I wanted to go back so badly that I spent a lot of time sleeping for a couple of weeks trying to get back. My brain also seems to have this silly (to me) function of telling me that I am in "my house" only upon waking I know it is no place I've ever been, or I am in an "airport" or a "hospital" but it looks just like a shopping mall for some reason. I don't have scary nightmares so much as I do anxiety dreams. I am in an "airport" but I am lost and will miss my flight and all of a sudden I have too many bags and I can't move them all. I can't read in dreams. I can see signs, recognize that there are words on them, but the letters keep moving and changing and making no sense. Usually my anxiety dreams happen when I am too hot or in pain and I need to wake up to fix something going on with my body like that.

While my dreams sometimes feel metaphysical and it's easy for me to understand why some believe that they hold meaning, I don't believe in anything like that really. I believe that it's just the sleeping mind firing off random electrical and chemical signals and then trying to interpret its own activity into some sort of narrative.
Speaking of dreams, I spoke to my son about this, his dreams are in the third person. He says his dreams are very vivid, like a movie or video game.

If I have a dream with myself in it, I'm always seeing it play out through my own eyes. To put that in the modern terms, my dreams are from the first person perspective. If think there might be a few times where I recall dreams where I saw myself swimming or running. However, those images were fleeting and not very distinct. I don't recall ever seeing my own face in a dream, from the third person perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:37 PM

38,739 posts, read 22,501,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Yeah. I once had to go through an entire day listening to Karen Carpenter sing her Christmas song, "Merry Christmas Darling" - in the summer!

See?.... Now I've done it to you!
For what seemed like weeks, back in high school, I had the chorus of the song "Playground In My Mind" playing endlessly in my head. OMG!!! Was that annoying. I tried to make it stop. I'd catch myself humming the tune, arghhhh... I would even catch myself humming a jazzed up improvised version of it. I guess my inner dialogue was trying to trick me with that.

Eventually it stopped. But I think that after that happened, my mind learned how to shut down that looping music crap that can annoy us, as you related.

Here it the monstrosity that plagued my for days if not a week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFONCfjewgM

I've often wondered if people with a vivid mind's eye have the same problem with images and videos replaying in their heads and they cannot stop them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology