Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 03:22 PM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Maybe you are lazy, OP. To that I say, so what? If you're content where your efforts have got you...so what. I've also in other posts talked about how I admire some people's work ethic, and I do, but I also admire those who are genuine about what really matters to them in life, and who walk their talk. The only thing that I would wish for a person of your sentiment, is that they would do creative things. Make art. Music. Write something. If you have managed to create space in your life that need not be devoted to wealth generation (or working just to survive) then consider putting your energy into making the sort of thing that makes human life worthwhile. Do it for those of us who sell so much of our time and energy we have nothing left to leave behind when we're gone.
I agree I'm somewhat lazy, but not that lazy. I mean, I have studied a lot, and I like to study. It's a pleasure to me. Also, I get up before 7 AM from Monday to Friday to go to work, and I'm OK with that. Of course I could put a lot more of effort in the pursuit of money, but why bother? I don't really need much money to live a happy life (maybe the fact of living in a seaside city in the tropical world helps?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 03:25 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Don't be so eager to label yourself with a mental condition!

Can't recall ever feeling the need to PROVE anything to anyone, at least in terms of making money. I consider myself very fortunate to have had a career I loved. I worked at it because I wanted to. I just valued other things over money. As long as I am not a freeloader on society or harming anyone nothing wrong with it. As long as I could keep a roof over my head and support myself independently (but that did include planning ahead for retirement years when I might not be able to work) it was enough. I don't care what other people think about it. Never have. One little caution to keep in mind OP. You can take this too far. It's called inverted snobbery. In general, snobs tend to be insufferable creatures.

Old 03-20-2024, 03:29 PM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
I just don't bother to make money.
Well, that isn't true. You absolutely DO bother.

You say you "get up before 7 AM from Monday to Friday to go to work"
You make enough money to support the lifestyle that you choose.

Why on earth do you want to twist that into having medical condition???
And why do you think earning additional money "proves" anything to anybody?

Hopefully you are saving enough to retire on...

Old 03-20-2024, 03:31 PM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
I agree I'm somewhat lazy, but not that lazy. I mean, I have studied a lot, and I like to study. It's a pleasure to me. Also, I get up before 7 AM from Monday to Friday to go to work, and I'm OK with that. Of course I could put a lot more of effort in the pursuit of money, but why bother? I don't really need much money to live a happy life (maybe the fact of living in a seaside city in the tropical world helps?)
I never heard of Fortaleza. The pictures look nice. Maybe it's one of those "hidden secrets."

Most men want to get with a woman at some point. Biology calls, you know.

There's a lot that comes with that. So, don't write it off entirely yet.

Old 03-20-2024, 03:46 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,016,239 times
I'm 61 now and I still love the hustle and I still love to make money and it's not to prove anything to anybody is so that my life is just a little more comfortable.

I don't care what anybody thinks about me not one person ,I have nothing to prove to anybody. This life has been rough and I mean rough, I do what I do for me as you should do for you...

You don't sound like you need or want to companion so that's okay too. At this point in my my life I cannot have somebody that just has nothing or wants nothing. They just end up dragging me down.

Old 03-20-2024, 04:35 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
I'm a person who don't make a lot of money. Not because I don't have the skills and knowledge to make much more money than I actually do. I do have those skills and knowledege. I just don't feel any need to prove that I have them. I just don't bother to prove anything to anyone. I don't bother to make money. I just make enough money to live a simple life, and I'm happy with that.

Is this normal? Or do I have a medical condition?
You have a medical (or mental) condition called contradictitis.

First you say to don't bother to make money.

Then you say you make enough money to live a simple life.

So, obviously, you do make money.

Why did you lie in the title of your post?

Old 03-20-2024, 06:36 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,354,109 times
It’s normal. Money does not bring happiness. Keep doing what you are doing. You can’t take it with you when you die.

Old 03-20-2024, 06:37 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,354,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
You have a medical (or mental) condition called contradictitis.

First you say to don't bother to make money.

Then you say you make enough money to live a simple life.

So, obviously, you do make money.

Why did you lie in the title of your post?
I think the OP means they don’t make substantial money.

Old 03-20-2024, 08:21 PM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
This is your song...

Randy Newman nails your type perfectly here as well as those who are your polar opposite...

Great tune as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS06eprlj2I

Old 03-20-2024, 08:52 PM

7,479 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Whatever you do decide to do becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology