Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 09:13 AM

12,792 posts, read 15,034,943 times

Advertisements

Hey, as long as you can fully support yourself & are happy, then great! Not everyone has to keep striving for more, more, more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2024, 09:28 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,016,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Over 40, and yes, I live on my own, I have a stable job
Quote:
oh, I do have a sense of many accomplishments, and that has nothing to do with money... and again, I don't feel any need to prove my accomplishments to anyone... what other people think about me is not of my business, even because I can only know what they speak and/or write, since I can not read minds (and don't want to)
I see nothing wrong with it. As long as you are not leeching off of someone and have unrealistic expectations or think the world owes you, you are fine. And it seems like you aren't, so I would not worry. You do you. It is no one else's business as long as you earn enough to be independent. Just don't come back and complain that you can't find a date.

Old 04-19-2024, 11:26 AM

30,906 posts, read 37,022,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
While I don't think that anything is wrong with you (in response to your OP), I would caution against relying on a government retirement program that may not be there in the future. Yes, Brazil is not the U.S., but there are no guarantees in life. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
Yes, this. America's finances aren't very solid. And neither are Brazil's. Relying on the government to fund your retirement 100% is giving the government a lot of power over your life.

Earning even a bit more and savings it is a wise thing to do. You don't have to be extreme about it. Just saving a little extra consistently over time adds up.

Old 04-25-2024, 10:18 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,067,562 times
Quote:
I'm a person who don't make a lot of money. Not because I don't have the skills and knowledge to make much more money than I actually do. I do have those skills and knowledege. I just don't feel any need to prove that I have them. I just don't bother to prove anything to anyone. I don't bother to make money. I just make enough money to live a simple life, and I'm happy with that.

Is this normal? Or do I have a medical condition?
I guess ignorance is a medical problem, not sure. Your grammatical errors prove otherwise, that you don't have the skills and knowledge to make a lot of money. Also, why would you go to the trouble to 'learn' these skills if you weren't planning on putting them to use in your life?

It's your life and you can live it exactly as you want, it's really nobody else'e business. That being said, why did you post this?

Old 04-30-2024, 10:56 AM

754 posts, read 446,310 times
Quote:
I'm a person who don't make a lot of money. Not because I don't have the skills and knowledge to make much more money than I actually do. I do have those skills and knowledege. I just don't feel any need to prove that I have them. I just don't bother to prove anything to anyone. I don't bother to make money. I just make enough money to live a simple life, and I'm happy with that.

I don't know if it's normal or not, but I don't make money either. Not because I don't want to but because I have severe disabilities that impact my ability to work. If I could work, I'd make money hand over fist, left, right, and sideways.

Old 05-01-2024, 01:52 AM

3,086 posts, read 1,689,816 times
Quote:

You just don't have ambition. And that's fine as long as you're self-supportive and not relying on other people.

Old 05-01-2024, 08:00 AM

8,735 posts, read 3,908,111 times
Quote:
Not because I don't have the skills and knowledge to make much more money than I actually do. I do have those skills and knowledege. I just don't feel any need to prove that I have them. I just don't bother to prove anything to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
You just don't have ambition.
There’s a difference between a lack of ambition vs. a dysfunctional thought process (as OP already claims to have the ability to make more money than he does). The dude is working anyway; it’s nonsensical he wouldn’t choose to use his ‘skills and knowledge’ to do so, all because he doesn’t ‘feel the need to prove he has them’ (and defensively states such in a forum).

In other words, the red flag is his explanation/reasoning - not his lack of ambition, in and of itself.

Old 05-06-2024, 03:55 AM

1,035 posts, read 563,265 times
Quote:

When you end up on the street or in a homeless shelter because you didn't bother to make any money, come back here and tell us how that went.

Old Today, 10:48 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,067,562 times
Quote:

Your life on this Earth is yours. It belongs to you and you have the God given right to live it any way you want to. Nothing wrong with you, short of not being very ambitious.

I would like to explain one thing though...... just because a person IS ambitious at their career, does not mean that they are trying to "prove" anything. They are just living their lives pretty normally. They want more from life than you do and there is nothing at all wrong with that. Some people don't want to live a simple life. They might want a vacation, or to go out to dinner or whatever they want and you have to have money to do those things, especially now after Covid. Even that is not extravagant, just not as simple as yours.

I don't think anyone else is trying to prove they have what it takes to make good money, they are just living their lives. You, on the other hand, are a little "ignorant" it would seem, and I don't mean that in a bad way, but you depict the epitome of "ignorance" in the real sense. But then again, you have the right to be that way.

Old Today, 11:48 AM

37,665 posts, read 46,107,056 times
Quote:
Why?

Because I choose not to pursuit the illusion of money, as if money could buy me immortality some day?

I know that many people who live their lifes in the pursuit of money are driven by the illusion that some day, within the next decades, science will develop "immortality" and that will only be available for those who can pay for it. Well, guess what? That will never happen. There will never be immortality for sale. Rich people will keep dying just like poor people, and they will carry nothing from this world with them.

I make enough money to live a simple life, and even so I had the experience of watching a quarter-finals game of a soccer World Cup in my own city's stadium. Also, I can do kitesurfing at any weekend I want, in Cumbuco. What else can I desire in this life?
You must live in Bizzaro land, dude.

No one cares how much you make as long as you are supporting yourself. Period. Done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology